Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Becoming frustrated and a bit sad

I was so excited to get surgery after I attended a seminar in early March. I have now secured financing, had my first meeting with the surgeon, my psyche evaluation, an all day behavior modification class, I am due to go to exercise and rehab on the 13th, and a final meeting with my surgeon later this month only to find out he is taking off for a 10 day vacation which will push all surgeries back for up to a month! Okay I would be fine with this but my main job is as a petsitter. My busiest season is of course summer. I also work in a private school cafeteria which gets out of school a full 3 weeks before local public school. I was hoping to have surgery in those 3 weeks. Doesn't look like it will happen and now due to prior commitments I fear I am going to have to wait until late July at this point. I am just so sad and frustrated. I really wanted to be totally healed and on a more full diet before my birthday. I don't know I am just so bummed. I had asked a month ago how long it would take from that point to have surgery and I was told around Memorial day. Sadly that doesn't seem the case. If I hadn't tied up $600 with this doctor I might go somewhere else. I am sorry I know I shouldn't be whining over this but money is tight and losing more business for me is going to be bad, I just don't know what to do. Maybe it is just PMS.....that is late anyway.

just hang in there Maid Marion - anything worth having is worth waiting for.. i am blessed to have great insurance and a Fantastic Doctor. so my whole process from start to finish was approximately six weeks. I met with the my surgeon for the first time on 03/13/08 and i was banded on 04/28/08.. i have already lost about 13 pounds.

I'm so sorry that the schedule is getting all mucked up for you! Don't get discouraged! Just think of it this way - years from now, when you are healthier and skinnier, you'll look back on this little set-back and probably be able to laugh at it. Hang in there - the time will come before you know it!

ah what a bummer...I would feel the same way as you do. July really isn't all that far away,,,but like you if I have everything planned out to the minute and things go wrong Im upset.

Hi MM.

Sorry to hear you are disappointed. :tt2:

My 2 cents :blush:would be that Dr. Edwards is worth the wait, if you have to wait.

But, to be pro-active ....you should call Mary T. or voicemail her, and see if she can get you "penciled" in, before they start scheduling and re-scheduling others. You may want to remind her that your financing is already secured. :frown:

As far as working, I don't know how active you must be at work... but I had a 1 year old to care for. He did such a great job, I was sleeping on my tummy(the only way I can sleep) day one, and caring for "Mazie" day 2. More time would be nice. But it was do-able.

Good luck- keep me posted on updates. -Kimberly

You could always ask your doctor if he would do the surgery before his vacation and explain your situation. I did that with my surgeon when I had a colostomy bag on, if I had waited another week with that colostomy bag for my surgeon to return from vacation to remove it, I would have phreaked out. He was sooo nice about it, he called me back and did do the surgery before his vacation so ask, then beg, then really tell him how important it is to you. My best wishes to ya!

Kat

Actually Mary T is who I talked to. She was the one who gave me the date of around Memorial day 6 weeks ago which would have been perfect. I guess I will just have to buckle down and do my best until then....hopefully I won't have too many dogs to take care of. Horrible thing is I am creeped out by one house that I am doing this weekend and then in late June. The guy had MRSA about 3 months ago. That is something I don't want!!

I guess I will let Dr. Edwards know when I go in I have been dieting and just go ahead and start my liquid diet on Monday next week just in case he has a cancellation.

To add insult to injury a friend called last night and was talking up mini gastric bypass which was on 20/20 or 60 minutes or something like that. I think I just need a vacation. Too bad my sinus infection and bronchitis didn't feel like a vacation because at this point I would be well vacationed. Thanks everyone I just really needed to vent. I was just stressing about it.

I'm not a doctor, or a nurse, but I'd be sure to tell my surgeon about being around someone with MRSA. There are antibiotics that will fight it, and they might want to give them prophylactically. Maybe some of the nurses can chime in if I'm being overly cautious, but that's a nasty bug and I'd want my surgeon to know about it.