Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For me, it wasn't even a question. I had no intention of re-routing my intestines. The recovery has been a breeze for me with lap band. (I'm 6 days out and never taken any pain meds except for the day in the hospital.) I figured if I really don't like it, I'll have it taken out. The only down side is the slower weight loss but that's OK. The pros of Lapband far outweigh the bypass for me personally. Good luck with your decision.

I had looked at other types of wls, but my hubby had heard too many horror stories and was completely against them. When I discovered this site and learned about the band, I asked him to attend a seminar with me. He asked the docs a ton of questions. He liked that nothing would be cut, re-routed or anything else and that is was 100% reversible. We also both felt that the slower weight loss with the band is actually healthier. So, once I had his support, I went with the band.

I think the #1 response to this is "Safer".

Followed by adjustable, removable and just as effective.

The weight generally takes longer to come off if you have a lot to lose. 1-2 lbs a week is a safe rate of loss though.

Most of us probably also know someone in person who has had the gastric bypass and either had nasty complications or gained enough weight back to be obese again. (I know both)

I :frown: my band.

I also have several in the family who have had WLS that were unsuccessful.

but they also had things like bypasses/stapling 2 have had serious malnutrition issues & have gained ALL their weight back plus some. 1 cousin right now is pregnant and seriously worried cause she had a bypass and is worried for the unborn child. And also gained most of her weight back. She's considering the band after the baby's born.

I had a uncle who had like 3 different WLS surgerys who died well over 400+ lbs.

The fact the bands adjustable, doesn't reroute/remove internal organs, and if there are major complications it can be removed. Were the biggest major selling points to me.

Plus the fact that you can still have sugars as long as you plan them into your diet wisely(and the way smaller portions). Unlike allot of bypass people who have to give up sugar.

Thanks guys for your answers. The slow weight loss for me is a draw back, I'm impatient, a HUGE downfall for me lol. I guess I'm most worried that it won't work. I've heard everyone talk about restriction (I think I have the word right...I also have a bad memory lol) and hoping that they will get it with their next fill. I've also read here about those who didn't get that all important restriction....

For me the lapband seem the easiest and has the lest recovery time, which is VERY attractive to me since I'm a baby. :)) But again, I'm already 40 and don't want to be 45 and still have half my weight to lose. I need to lose about 120 -130 pounds.....

Molly, you mentioned that some people who have the gastric bypass have gained the weight back?!?!?! Is that possible. Now that would be so horrible if you went through all the pain and side effects only to gain the weight back....does your stomach just stretch out again?

Also, floppy skin.........because the lapband folk lose the weight slower, does that mean less stretched out skin? Or is it just the same? I have VERY UNelastic skin. When I was pregnant with my first child at 17 I got horrible strech marks. I had no idea what they were ( my mom never got them when she was pregnant) and I thought I was dieing..... Soooo I'm worried that I will have so much extra skin that I'll look like Jabba the Hutt.... :rolleyes:(

Thanks everyone for helping me with these questions. I want to be prepared when I see my dr on the 16th.

Yes, after bypass your stomach can stretch if you repeatedly stuff yourself. With the band, you can drink high calorie drinks that will keep you from losing weight or you can not go to maintenance appointments (fills). It seems that many people with band still have extra skin but it is better than with bypass.

I have friends that want to lose weight fast and say they would not be disciplined enough for band so are having/have had bypass. I choose band b/c safer and can work forever - no gain back but must follow rules. If I can't follow the rules for the band, what makes me think I would follow the rules for bypass? Good luck whatever you decide, I think you have to find the one that is a better fit for you. :)

Has anyone hear of someone who has gained their weight back with the band? It would seem very hard, I mean if you go for your fills.

Do you have to go for your fills for the rest of your life, or does it finally get filled enough to last forever?

I am a HUGE baby, do the fills hurt????

Thanks again everyone!!

Melissa

5'8" 271lbs

goal 130

Yes, I have heard of people gaining weight back and not losing in the first place - always due to not going in for maintenance visits (fills). Supposedly, fills don't hurt.

Molly, you mentioned that some people who have the gastric bypass have gained the weight back?!?!?! Is that possible. Now that would be so horrible if you went through all the pain and side effects only to gain the weight back....does your stomach just stretch out again?

yes they can stretch the stomach back out. But also after a few years the body (apparently, according to my aunts dr.) starts to make up for the shortened intestines allowing bypass patients to absorb more of their food.

And since part of how the bypass works (bypassing most of the intestinal track) is the food not remaining in your intestines long enough to absorb it. The body works out ways to try and fix it.

I know for both my aunts (bypasses in the early 90's) & step mom (had bypass in 85) they were NEVER told they had to change their diets really just avoid sugar, all 3 of them gained their weight back.. my uncle had his stomach banded (NOT like todays band, wasn't a fillable band and put in a different area.) somehow busted his and had to have that fixed so then they fixed it actually removed 3/4ths of his stomach(stapling). Which I gather ended up being stretched out after a couple of years.

Missinformation and not being told to change their diet was the case I think for my aunts, mom, uncle really. WLS surgery was new and no one in the US had long term success/failures when they all had it done.

My cousin had a bypass 4-5 years and she did ok but never totally got all her weight off but was trying to fight regaining. She and I were talking over the different WLS options a few months ago and she said she was thinking of a band now but turned up pregnant and has now put that on hold.

Another advantage and reason It seems that banders keep it off longer is the whole PB/slime issue.

As long as you stay on your fills and keep your band in the right area for you, you pretty much HAVE to adjust how you eat (slowing down, smaller bites etc. ) Or you will be miserable.

Ask yourself this?

Would you rather have to have a fill every 4-6 weeks (till your sweet spot), after that occasional fill/unfills sometimes with MONTHS/years in between.

..Or have 2-4 shots daily for insulin?

..Prick your finger 2-4 times a day for blood testing.

..Fight down a fist full of medicines every day.

..<insert any # diseases cause by or agrivated due to weight>

Like most anything else fills hurting will depends on you, your doctor. I've read on here people who's doctors numb you beforehand, some don't.

It just varies, sometimes greatly. Theres a section on the forum for fills you can get a good idea about them from.

The bypass has improved a lot over the years. They no longer remove intestines to drastically shorten the path and so patients no longer have to take the large amounts of supplements that were necessary before. They, of course, do have to re-route the intestine so that it is attached to the small part of the stomach that is still in use after the bypass. I still prefer the band as I believe it is my best chance to keep the weight off.

I have a very rare genetic disease which requires me to eat carbs. If I don't, I could possibly die. Consequently, bypass was out of the question. When I heard about this surgery, I jumped on it because I could eat carbs (or even drink them if I have to..as I do sometimes) but only a very small amount. So far, it's working great!!!!

Has anyone hear of someone who has gained their weight back with the band? It would seem very hard, I mean if you go for your fills.

Do you have to go for your fills for the rest of your life, or does it finally get filled enough to last forever?

Melissa, weight loss with the band is very much a personalized journey. If you are on board and ready to really make serious life changes (which are of course necessary with any WLS) then you can be successful. NO surgery is magic, fast, or completely without risk. It's up to you to decide which of the various options will fit your life and medical needs best.

Gaining weight back after a significant loss is not uncommon, of course, and can happen to anyone. With the band there are several reasons such a thing might happen, usually related to a failure of the band or patient noncompliance. A fill is not a sure thing--it can be frustrating to find the right level of restriction. And there's no guarantee that you'll find your sweet spot and be able to keep it forever. Restriction is a function of many more things than just the amount of Fluid in the band.

The good news is that fills do NOT hurt. They're like an injection, and the site is numbed before the needle is introduced. I've never had any pain associated with any of my fills.