Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled for June 27th 2008

I'm a 24 year old recent college graduate and I'm scheduled to be banded on June 27th. The surgery will be performed by Dr. Patrick Yau of the TLBC in Toronto Ontario who has been one of the surgeons to introduce the laproscopic procedure to Canada about 8 years ago. I have to admit though, I'm still somewhat nervous about the surgery, not so much because of the possible complications but more so because I'm a huge needle phobic and both the pre-op blood test and the anesthesia IV are a huge source of anxiety for me. This fear has really dominated my life, at times making me avoid medical procedures like simple blood draws or getting a flu shot. So in addition to introducing myself here, I also wanted to see if there are any other needle phobics out there that are about to go through or have gone through the surgery. If anyone knows any good strategies to cope with this issue, any advice is appreciated.

Welcome! Congratulations on your surgery date and your graduation. I would suggest posting a "needle phobia" thread in the general discussion area. I'm sure you'll get MANY helpful suggestions.

Congratulations on your surgery date!:thumbup: I am still waiting on my phone call for surgery, I am a self-pay. I too hate needles. I also avoid medical situations where I have to get stuck. The first time I had an IV is when I had my son and it really wasn't as bad as I hyped it up to be. The funny thing is, I was more worried about the IV than actually having to give birth. I am sure they will give some kind of relaxing meds before they do anything maybe if you mention it to the doctor. Hope everything goes well.

Congratulations on your surgery date!:wink2: I am still waiting on my phone call for surgery, I am a self-pay. I too hate needles. I also avoid medical situations where I have to get stuck. The first time I had an IV is when I had my son and it really wasn't as bad as I hyped it up to be. The funny thing is, I was more worried about the IV than actually having to give birth. I am sure they will give some kind of relaxing meds before they do anything maybe if you mention it to the doctor. Hope everything goes well.

I'm self pay also (my family is putting out a large portion of the sum to be exact). I really don't understand why my provincial plan covers the more radical forms of WLS but not the lap band. But I have to tell you, I would be happy to add to that sum if there was some way to avoid the needles and being poked. I already told the surgeon that I have a problem with needles and he did mention giving me something for relaxation prior to surgery but he didn't mention anything specific and I don't know what he has in mind. I'm equally worried about getting the blood tests done and I'm gonna see if I can get that done while being on some type of anti anxiety medications. I'm going to my pre-op seminar on May 20th and I'm hoping to find some answers and maybe even some fellow needle phobics like myself. What about yourself... how long do you anticipate having to wait for the surgery? And also, how much does it go for where you are?

Welcome! Congratulations on your surgery date and your graduation. I would suggest posting a "needle phobia" thread in the general discussion area. I'm sure you'll get MANY helpful suggestions.

Thank you Elisabeth! :wink2:

Welcome & congratulations on your impending life changing surgery.

I share your fear as I have deep set veins & the nurses & even anaethetists took 4 attempts to get my IV in.

I know its easy for me to say as been banded 11 months now but if you can see past the needle to your new you then it makes the thought a lot more promising.

Good Luck

Paula

Welcome & congratulations on your impending life changing surgery.

I share your fear as I have deep set veins & the nurses & even anaethetists took 4 attempts to get my IV in.

I know its easy for me to say as been banded 11 months now but if you can see past the needle to your new you then it makes the thought a lot more promising.

Good Luck

Paula

Four times eh? Thats terrible, I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. I completely realize that its all worth it in the end of course, but the problem with this anxiety that I have is that its not rational in any way and unfortunately there is not much I can do about that. I'm thinking of asking my best friend (who is a nurse) to give me some desensitizing sessions.

Hi,

As one who has given a fair number of injections, etc., I would suggest that when you decide to get the injection, blood draw, IV, whatever, really have decided in advance that you will indeed get it done. Don't be ambivalent. This helps the "shot-giver", this in turn will only be to your advantage. Voice your fear to the clinician. Have a friend come with you; hold her hand, (or finger if you squeeze too hard.) I find that even another staff member being the "comfort" person is a real help. It generally isn't the pain that is bothersome; but the emotional load. Some patients tell me that when they were young, an injection was forced on them, held down etc. Most patients, naturally, look away, but don't close their eyes; they try to be distracted. Some don't do well with the "1, 2, 3 stick" routine. It is like getting your picture taken; eyes are closed again, but in this case, it heightens anxiety and tension. Just feel the painful sensation, anticipate it, wrap your mind around it. Personally, the worst "shots" I had was an arterial blood gas, (on a ventilator) and always liked a little "juice" (morphine or whatever I was getting) in preparation. Maybe a Xanax would help? With ya bud. looking at June 30th for my banding.

Congrats on a brave decision and welcome to the forum! I would definately agree with the suggestion to request a "calming" medication a few hours before surgery.

Also - I'm not a fan of IV's either, but when I actually requested of my nurse that I got to pick the place where it went (I believe that the arm is much less painful than the back of your hand!!). They agreed to do this if I promised not to bend my arm and it didn't hurt at all. There's something to just having the control of when and where that makes it less icky.

And I hate to be a killjoy - but since you are needle phobic - you do know all about the fills, don't you?

Hi,

As one who has given a fair number of injections, etc., I would suggest that when you decide to get the injection, blood draw, IV, whatever, really have decided in advance that you will indeed get it done. Don't be ambivalent. This helps the "shot-giver", this in turn will only be to your advantage. Voice your fear to the clinician. Have a friend come with you; hold her hand, (or finger if you squeeze too hard.) I find that even another staff member being the "comfort" person is a real help. It generally isn't the pain that is bothersome; but the emotional load. Some patients tell me that when they were young, an injection was forced on them, held down etc. Most patients, naturally, look away, but don't close their eyes; they try to be distracted. Some don't do well with the "1, 2, 3 stick" routine. It is like getting your picture taken; eyes are closed again, but in this case, it heightens anxiety and tension. Just feel the painful sensation, anticipate it, wrap your mind around it. Personally, the worst "shots" I had was an arterial blood gas, (on a ventilator) and always liked a little "juice" (morphine or whatever I was getting) in preparation. Maybe a Xanax would help? With ya bud. looking at June 30th for my banding.

Thanks for all the advice Brian. I guess as a needle phobic I'm often too consumed by the fear to really think about how this is for the needle giver, but you do make a good point, since making it easier for the needle giver will in turn make the experience easier on me as well. Of course this makes a lot of sense, its just too bad the phobia doesn't care about logic or common sense or reality :cursing:. Anyways, good luck with your upcoming surgery, I hope everything goes well for both of us and the pounds start coming off!

Congrats on a brave decision and welcome to the forum! I would definately agree with the suggestion to request a "calming" medication a few hours before surgery.

Also - I'm not a fan of IV's either, but when I actually requested of my nurse that I got to pick the place where it went (I believe that the arm is much less painful than the back of your hand!!). They agreed to do this if I promised not to bend my arm and it didn't hurt at all. There's something to just having the control of when and where that makes it less icky.

And I hate to be a killjoy - but since you are needle phobic - you do know all about the fills, don't you?

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will ask them to do the IV in the arm as well as it does sound less painful than the back of the wrist. And yes I do know of the fills and how they are done, although your youtube video was the first time I actually saw it happening. I can't say I'm thrilled about the fills, but somehow knowing that the needle is merely going into the port as opposed to a natural part of my body, makes it sound less of a problem -- mind you I could still be freaking out when I'm on the way to get one. As you and Brian above suggested I will be asking for some anxiolytic drugs and hopefully that, in addition to some other tactics will work for the IV. Still not all too sure what I will do for my blood work, I will certainly be having a friend there with me and possibly a Lidocaine patch and I'm hoping to also get an anxiolytic drug as well but I don't know if that would interfere with the blood test or not. I'm going for my pre-op seminar on May 31st, so hopefully I can get some info there as my surgeon is supposed to be there. Wish me luck!