Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I eat/not eat while unfilled due to slippage?

Hi,

I was unfilled yesterday due to a mild slippage. I have am placing myself on a liquid diet for the next two weeks until I have another upper GI, to see if it goes back into place on its own.

My question is from experienced slipped bandsters, is what type of diet did you have during that period?

I am keeping to liquids and if I get hungry then eat small portions of mushies - cottage cheese, apple sauce... etc.

All he said was to watch my calories. It didn't even click w/ me to ask I should go liquids or mushies & soft foods.

I called back yesterday and asked, but didn't get a response.

Unfortuntely I can't help either, I had my unfill for my slip done yesterday by a registrar at the hospital and he gave me no guidance on what to eat either, I was so shocked at the time I didn't think to ask! I'm seeing my surgeon on Monday.

For the time being I've put myself on liquids just to be safe, Soups will be my friend for the next few days at least.

Its probably best to keep trying to get a hold of your Doc for his instruction.

I stopped by my doctors office to p/u some more AciPhex and I questioned about the "diet" and was told I should keep it light and liean like when I did pre-op, just in case I need to have surgery, that way my liver will have a chance to shrink up and loose the fate around it, but to also do liquids & mushies.

I have been doing great sticking to it w/ my shakes & supplementing w/ mushies to "cut" the hunger when I get hungry, but I am not that hungry. :party: and am keeping to my same small eating habits - not because I am restricted, but by choice.

Funnily enough, I'm not that hungry either! I thought I was going to be STARVING, but I'm not so much, I got on the scales this morning and they had gone down! I'm shocked!

Good news for both of us!

Yeah for you too!! Today I was down a pound - right now I am at 200 lbs +/-

I was telling my husband today that it is weird but I am not hungry and thought I would be starving too. He seems to think that would be "normal" for us since our mind and bodies are used to eating so little, but I reminded him, it is that long lasting fullness that helps to not go back for "more." So I am sticking to the same quantity and portion sizes as I have before, and timing myself.

If you would, keep me upto date on hour your doing and what you end up finding out w/ your GI Study.

No worries, I will do, you can also always check my blog (the link is in my sig below, I update pretty regularly with whats going on with my weight/band etc). Keep me posted on how you're doing too!

I posted this on my blog and couple of other threads too..

My surgeon looked at the films from my barium swallow and said "its not catastrophic", (his words) and that it is REALLY likely that it just slipped a small amount from the reflux and few vomiting episodes that with no fill for a few weeks, it will settle and then I will be able to have some fill put back in gradually. But not as much as I had, of course. He said we'd start with 4 or 5 mls and then build up to maybe 6 or 6.5mls in my 10ml band. He offered to put some back in today and I told him that I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and let the swelling go down to be safe rather than sorry. He said that was a good choice. I'm also going to continue the Nexium on his advice until I go back on the 19th for my fill so that helps settle my stomach too. I asked him if I should be doing liquids, he said no, just normal foods, but make sure I chew them well so I don't vomit. He repeated again that it was not anything to be concerned about because its only ever so slightly slipped and in a couple of weeks he is certain it will go back to where it should be.

I feel SO releived.

He did say that the registrar at the hospital should have told me that it was a very minor slip and was almost certainly reversible with time and a looser band for a while. Shame he didn't, then I wouldn't have been so worried about everything.

Oh I am so happy for you!! So no liquids or mushies required huh?

My surgeon already saw my films (I have copies too) a thinks it should go back into place on own, so we will do another GI in 2 weeks to see.

Did yours mention if you had any dilation of the esophagus? I have that as well, hopefully that will go down as well.

OH - will you get a 2nd GI to confirm if it adjusted on its own?

Nope no liquids or mushies. Thank goodness!

My surgeon said that had he been the one to see the films right after I had them done, he wouldn't have taken all the fill out, he would have left some in. Hence why he wanted to put some back in today. He said its such a minor slip and that most band patients probably have a slip like that that settles on its own at some stage with their band that they don't even know about. He said the only reason I know about mine is because I must have inflammed my throat some how and the reflux started because of that and it was a down hill run from there.

My esophogus isn't dialated, he didnt say anything about that at all, just some of the lower stomach has slipped up.

I'm don't think he plans on me having another GI, I think he thinks it will just be a waste of time and resources for every one at this stage if I am feeling 100%. I'm feeling 99% already (bit tired from only having liquids, but that will soon change). We'll see what happens in the 2 weeks between now and then.

Hope we both come out of this with everything turning out for the best. When is your two weeks up? I go back on the Monday the 19th.