Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All NURSES!!

wow, thanks for the quick reply. All good ideas and the thing will be for me to have something small i can snack through the night with! Thanks again I am on a night shift right now! so back at it I go and I will certainly stay in touch!

Shannon

shannon, you got such a quick reply since i am at work too tonight just waiting to do my next ABG on my pt.

ouch 4 on, that's hard, I'm usually pretty fried after 3 and sometimes even that is pushing it!! when I come back to Canada in approx 2 years my plan is to drop down to part time and then I'd only have to work 2 a week which would be RAD!! I also forgot, my other work snack is raspberries, it's a joke here as people know just how much I love them, last year that is what some of the nurses got me for my birthday. You too be safe driving home, luckily I live just a few miles from the hospital and being sunday there won't be traffic so I shold be home in approx 5 min

I'm also a nurse, LPN in geriatrics. I work 3-11 shift in the care center at a large retirement community in MD. I was banded July 25th 2006 and I am LOVING life!! Have a great day(or night) LOL

Hello all fellow nurses! I have been an RN for the last 16 years, last 8 years in the ER and still love it. I work for a regional medical center in KY and for a "small town hospital" we ROCK!! (if I do say so myself). Mom to 2 kids Daniel, 5 and Sophie, 3. Can't imagine ever leaving the ER- but I may change my mind after doing a rotation of nights this summer. Typically I work days, but agreed to go to nights for 4 weeks because they are hurting for staff in general and charge nurses in particular. Anyway... great thread! Thanks for starting it!:wink2:

BTW... I got banded 2/19 at my facility. Did most of you all get banded at your hospitals?

Hello all fellow nurses! I have been an RN for the last 16 years, last 8 years in the ER and still love it. I work for a regional medical center in KY and for a "small town hospital" we ROCK!! (if I do say so myself). Mom to 2 kids Daniel, 5 and Sophie, 3. Can't imagine ever leaving the ER- but I may change my mind after doing a rotation of nights this summer. Typically I work days, but agreed to go to nights for 4 weeks because they are hurting for staff in general and charge nurses in particular. Anyway... great thread! Thanks for starting it!:wink2:

BTW... I got banded 2/19 at my facility. Did most of you all get banded at your hospitals?

Interesting question. I didn't because my facility didn't do many bands, but mostly because I didn't want people I knew "in my business". I didn't advertise that I was having surgery (I didn't keep it a secret and talked about it a little with coworkers afterward) and I just wasn't comfortable with showing up on the OR schedule (the ICU charge nurses study the OR schedule for the next day to plan ahead for admits) and having everyone know exactly what I was doing. I went to a hospital across town that does most of the bands in Portland and had a great experience.

I have been an RN for 14 years, but have only worked PRN for the past 5 years since having my fourth child. I worked mainly in hospice for most of my working career.

Hello fellow nurses! Isn't it amazing how many options we have in our careers? Who else can have our degree and do so many things with it? I love being a nurse. I don't always like the day I might be having, but I like the feeling I get from caring for others!

I have been a critical care nurse for the past 22 years, I have worked in the same hospital, same unit for the entire 22 years... I am not even the one who has been there the longest! There are 2 other nurses who have been there longer!! We are one big family! We laugh together, fight together, work together and play together. No one gives more than our nursing community when it comes down to a crisis, or tragedy. I can always count on my co-workers!!!

Tess

hi all

i am a paediatric nurse from the uk, i work in theatres or the O R as you would say and i love it.

i was banded on 27th nov 2007 and have lost 2 n half stone up to now.

Lisax

Hi I am Renea and have been a LPN for 26 years and work on a med-surg/NICHE unit. I work in a hospital and if I was to leave I wouldnt be hired back because RNs is all they hire now. There are a few of us dying breeds left in the hospital. Where I work the rest have either retired, died or got there RN. I never got mine honestly because many years ago when I got pregant gained weight and didnt have the confidence to go back. But On my floor I have been there so long that people forget or the new nurses don't know and I am treated very respectfully. I have lots of knowledge to share since I am the old one. :thumbup: I am also called mama nay so I am happy in my job. I admire and respect all nurses. Glad to meet everyone. I have one daughter who is 25 and a soldier 3 deployments 2 in Iraq she is home now and works as a EMT and trying to get her paramedic degree. A wonderful hubby who I have been married to 26 years in a few weeks. And a diva cat named angel. I work nights 7p-7a.

Renea

Edited by thin within
left hours of work off

Wow, lots of nurses here! I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm an RN, also. I graduated from The University of Akron in 1998. Let's see, I started out in L&D, nursery, post-partum. Did that a couple years. I then went to Psych/Geri-Psych. Did that for 4 years. Loved that but the unit I worked on closed down. I went to Med-Surg after that for 2 years until I found my current job. I work now as the Director of Nursing for a student health clinic at a university. I've been here almost 3 years. I really like my new job, but took the opportunity of working at a large university to go back to school while working full time (I know, I'm crazy). I'm currently working on a Master's in Public Administration and will graduate this fall. I'm excited to see what will open up after that.

It's great to see so many nurses who are getting or have the band!

Hello everyone,

I have been an RN for 12 years. I graduated in Redding, CA and worked at Mercy Hosp. in the OR, recovery and day surgery. I since have moved to Klamath Falls, OR and work in outpatient infusion services. I really love it. Klamath Falls is so beautiful and there is so much to do.

I was banded April 14th, 2008 and it is the best decision I've ever made. I am self pay. At Sky Lakes Medical center where I work we are a Bariatric Center of excellence, so I got to have my surgery right here with a physician and staff I know well. I was spoiled rotten!!! :lol: I had my first fill 2 weeks ago and I do have some restriction, but I don't think I'm at my "sweet spot" yet. I have lost 25 pounds and I feel good. Where I live there are so many recreation and hiking, biking, swimming opportunities. I was always too overweight to feel comfortable joining in, but now I'm making up for lost time!:lol: So much fun!

I really felt like a hipocrite being a fat nurse and counceling other people on a cardiac, diabetic, low fat etc. diet to follow when obviously I coulndn't talk!

That is all in the past now and I am on to being a healthy nurse and a healthy person. I really do feel that exercise is the key to success with this.

I too, would love to gain my fertility. I've never had a baby, never been able to concieve. I've tried clomid and it never worked. My Dr. said everything looks great there is no reason I couldn't concieve except for the weight. I will have to wait 2 years post band. The clock is ticking!