Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my lap band surgery in July 2006 in Mexico. Recently discovered that band had slip down, pouch is to large. Had all fill removed. Has anyone with this problem ever had it correct itself or will band have to be removed?

I had the same thing. Found out my band had slipped when I went in with really bad heartburn and couldn't eat anything. Found out it was probably the combination of being too tight and then having the flu one weekend and throwing up the whole time. I was unfilled for a month and did a retest and everything looked good. Now I am just waiting for my fill appt. which is next week.

My band slipped and an unfill did not solve it. I had to have surgery to reposition the band. At the time of surgery, they told me there was a 50% chance that they would have to remove the band. Luckily, they didn't have to remove it and they just repositioned it. Things have been great since then. Best of health to you.

I was just about to start a thread asking the same thing. I'd love to know some stats on what percentage of slips can be fixed by a period of being unfilled and what the other factors that might affect this being successful might be.

I found out I have a small slip today, and have been totally unfilled. I see my surgeon on Monday to discuss the plan of action. I'm scared out of my wits!

I would also like to add to this question... What would be a reasonable amount of time to wait to see if the slippage corrects itself?

Has any one gone 2-4 weeks as long as it was not getting worse?

Thanks.

I am on liquids and softs for a week now. So far it seems O.K. I have not seen my doctor for 1 1/2 years since I had my band unfilled due to dissatifcation and frustration including my insurance no longer covering any obesity procedures. I have been banded for 5 years and have gained my weight back. i am hoping i can take care of this on my own but will go to doctor if i start vomiting.

I have an appointment Wed. for a barium x-ray to see the status of my band possibly slippping. I will let you all know the outcome. Still on liquids and feeling fine.

Chris

Went back for barium x-ray today ( 5-5-08). Band did not correct itself. Don't know what to do now since surgery was done in Mexico no dr. in states will touch it. Do no want to go back to Dr. Rojas because of all the problems other people have had.

Went back for barium x-ray today ( 5-5-08). Band did not correct itself. Don't know what to do now since surgery was done in Mexico no dr. in states will touch it. Do no want to go back to Dr. Rojas because of all the problems other people have had.

If you have regular medical insurance, give them call. Even though this was elective surgery that was paid by you, you now have medical comlications, and most often this is covered by your insurance if you go through your PCP (primary care provider). They would then refer you to have the testing (which you did) and then can refer you to a surgeon who can adjust/remove/replace your band.

Seriously check into it and PUSH THE ISSUE.

I have a slippage. I had much heartburn and vomiting. I am at my goal weight. I am very afraid he will have to remove it. I am so afraid after this 1 1/2 years, I will gain that weight back. I wonder what the percentage of people who just have to remove it, and do they gain their weight back. I am very nervous. I am having this monday. My Dr. insisted I have it today, but i had too many prior commitments, and i have been having problems for months now, so why hurry? Anyway, I will keep you posted. Please say a little Prayer for me. I am at peace even if he DOES have to remove it. NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT possibility though.

Cathy

I am looking into having band removed and having gastric sleeve surgery, other wise I know all the weight I've lost will come back. Can already tell a difference since having all fill removed.

well I went 1 month with hardly any fill due to slippage, my Dr. had me go a month and then retest. Last Friday I had the retest and things looked great..back to normal. Yesterday I had my first fill, only put in a little and taking things slow. I ended up gaining 2# in that month and I will take all the blame for that 2# gain. For whatever reason I didn't exercise and I really didn't watch what I ate....kind of like a "free for all". I do know my Dr. said that if it wouldn't of corrected its self we would of went another month with no fill before anything surgically would of been done. I wish everyone luck that has a slip...it is scary

Hi,

I had my surgery in March 2007 and have had a lot of heartburn since December 2007. I just found out this week that my band slipped. My doctor wants to wait 2 weeks then re-xray to see if it corrected itself. I am alittle worried about possibly having this surgery done again but I am hopeful that I will be happy with the end results.

Ok Hi there..

Do I have a slippage? Wondering..

Banded in Boston on Oct. 15,07. 4cc band.

No nausea, vomiting or any problems.

Filled 5 times up to 2.5cc's.

No restriction yet.

No weight loss aside from what I lost prior to surgery. Got down to 299.

Now am at 307.

Hungry, able to eat a full meal and unhappy.

:welldoneclap:

M.D. proposing endoscopy to check band.

:Banane53:

any thoughts? suggestions?

It is pretty rare to have a slip with NO symptoms. They vary, but usually you have some indication that there is a problem. Do they do your fills under fluoro? Do they remove the fill before refilling you? Perhaps you have a leak in your tubing and aren't holding the fill. Are you exercising? Measuring food? Listen to your docto and get the endoscopy. Best of luck!