Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, Newbie here

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself, Im 30 years old, 5'8 and 326lbs. I have been going through a long process for this surgery, and Today the information was finally sent to my insurance, which is BCBS of NC. From what I hear they are pretty good about getting things approved. I am really excited, and very nervous. But, importantly, I cant wait unti Im a lot healthier, so I can keep up with my 2 year old girl. So, as far as the status goes, Im just waiting on insurance. The longest part was therapy, for some reason, they had to take the longest. Im kinda glad Im keeping them, and are going to continue to go to them. I have researched for 2 years on this surgery. And finally I hope that insurance will approve me, and I will be able to have it done. Does anyone have any special advice for me? My medical problems include, sleep Apnea, I have a heart defect, called Patient Foreman Ovale which is another word for a hole in the heart, and I didnt know about the until Dec of last year. I have IBS, fibromyalgia. Any suggestions, or advice before I have this done?

Hi Leslie, sorry to hear about your troubles with the waiting game. I'm new to this process so I don't know that I've got a lot of insight at this point, but I also have BCBS of NC and I've heard they are fairly good about moving stuff through.

Where in NC are you?

:smile:Welcome! I also have BCBS but mine is FedBlue..which I don't think is much different than yours! I too have 2 years invested in researching and waiting for the insurance to acknowledge that this type of surgery is a bonus for them. I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high tryglycerides, heart disease in the family, the metabolic syndrome, and diagnosed with non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver. :wink2: I was just banded this past February and let me tell you what, I have had my blood pressure meds cut in half and my last visit with my liver doc was that my liver is regenerating and doesn't show the negative symptoms it had just 3 months ago! :lol: He is also weaning me off my cholesterol meds since my tests have come back so great!! All this has happened since Feb 8 of this year! I have lost 32 pounds and last Thursday went in and had a slight fill (.6cc) because I knew on some afternoons I would come home and snack on chips and salsa! I was upfront with my doc and told him that in the afternoons after work I would get a hunger pang and asked if he would tighten me up just a tad. I can really feel the restriction now and am trying to adjust to a tighter band without feeling like I'm going to puke after every meal!:blushing: This forum is most interesting and I have enjoyed reading several threads and have gained a lot of information. I hope you too will find it helpful. I wish you much luck and joy in getting banded! I was told in the 3rd week of January that I was approved and asked the coordinator, knowing I had to follow a 10 day preop diet, what is the first available date I could get my band. :sad: After waiting for 2 years and checking out the Lap Band.com site and talking to 5 different doctors, my family doc, my liver doc, my heart doc, my brain doc (I also suffer from migrains) and my Lap Band doc, I was more than ready and with any surgery a little apprehensive but knowing as much as I could about the surgery helped me get ready and after it was all said and done I feel great! I have read in this forum that there are some that had a rough time but I didn't and hopefully you won't either. When my endocrinologist told me I had maybe 10 years left and my liver doc was telling me that the next step for me would be the donor program, :blush: nothing was or could be as bad as the news I heard from these great doctors! So I extend my greates wishes for you, your surgery and your recovery! Enjoy this site, I certainly do!!:biggrin2:

Like MPope, I'm a newbie, 3 visits in the can to the dr., 3 more to go. Leslie, playing with your child will so wonderful. Do whatever it takes. Terri, I am so happy to hear you are headed toward a far better outcome!

At 60, w/ HBP and Cholesterol and back issues, and 5-10, 320, I certainly need to help myself to a better lifestyle. I have a personal trainer and work out with my wife with the trainer twice a week. My flexibility, wind and back have all improved dramatically. Now I need to get some weight as well. Lighter and stronger would really rock!

Like MPope, I'm a newbie, 3 visits in the can to the dr., 3 more to go. Leslie, playing with your child will so wonderful. Do whatever it takes. Terri, I am so happy to hear you are headed toward a far better outcome!

At 60, w/ HBP and Cholesterol and back issues, and 5-10, 320, I certainly need to help myself to a better lifestyle. I have a personal trainer and work out with my wife with the trainer twice a week. My flexibility, wind and back have all improved dramatically. Now I need to get some weight as well. Lighter and stronger would really rock!

Hey Gary!:biggrin: Thank you for the kind words! :thumbup: I am glad to hear you are getting ready for a new journey in your life! :biggrin2: When do you expect to be banded? I went to a nutritionist for 6 months and then waited 3 more months for the insurance to approve me. I had all my docs calling the coordinator to make sure she filed all my papers promptly! HA! :eek: I had to follow a 10 day pre op diet that I didn't think I could do but I only had to go on liquids for the last 3 days of the diet and I actually ate loads of Jello to have my mouth feel like it was eating food!:tt2: My great hubby measured all my food out for me that the nutritionist lined up for the diet and he's been my rock as well as many of the fine folks in this forum!:tt2: Kudos to them! :biggrin2: After my surgery I only lost about 8 pounds and I had my first fill the Mar 6 08. I had another tiny fill on the 17th of Apr. On that date my total was 31 pounds lost since I first saw my doc. I walk everyday for 30 minutes. My doc said I only had to go 3 times a week but my skin (being a wiser woman) doesn't have the elasticity the younger folks do so I just extend my walking a bit more to help myself! :lol: This band has been a godsend to me and with your back issues it may well be for you to! :frown: Keep me posted on all your advancements! You will not be sorry. Yes, we are limited on what we eat and yes it may take a while longer, but the outcome will be greater than our own expectations! Believe me I know that already!:biggrin2: Keep in touch and the best of luck to you!:w00t: