Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have I lost all I CAN lose???

I am getting pretty frustrated because I haven't been able to lose for the past 2 months. I eat very healthy and only indulge on occasion the majority of the time. I exercise 7 days a week sometimes in excess of 3 hours at a time. I know that I am exercising too much, but I don't know what to do. I have tried cutting calories or increasing calories; I've tried it all. Fills DON'T HELP.

It's like my body is tired of losing and just wants to stay where I am at. I still need to lose about 15lbs before I have some PS. I feel like I am doing everything right and my body is just not responding.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be great.

Has anyone else experienced this??

I am getting pretty frustrated because I haven't been able to lose for the past 2 months. I eat very healthy and only indulge on occasion the majority of the time. I exercise 7 days a week sometimes in excess of 3 hours at a time. I know that I am exercising too much, but I don't know what to do. I have tried cutting calories or increasing calories; I've tried it all. Fills DON'T HELP.

It's like my body is tired of losing and just wants to stay where I am at. I still need to lose about 15lbs before I have some PS. I feel like I am doing everything right and my body is just not responding.

Sorry you have hit that dreaded plateau - I don't have any first hand advice (luckily it has happened to me yet) but my trainer did say that when/if I hit that plateaus - I have to change up my eating - meaning they types of foods - I eat carbs so his suggestion to me was to have them at noon and eat only veggies & meat for dinner and if you are eating chicken change to fish - or if your are eating red meat change to fish or chicken

This is the best I can do - Hugs though - I am afraid of the dreaded plateau too...

WOW you have done great!!! I am right there with you.. I have not lost anything in about 3-4 months. But unlike you I have not been totally committed!!! I eat most things just less of it, don't exercise and need a fill. On top of that I stopped coming on the board were my support was at. When I was losing I stayed on this board every day.. We need that support. Keep me posted and let me know how you are doing, but I can tell you with the amount you have lost, girl you should be so proud of yourself!!

Good question, I know it's supposedly harder near goal. I am still at least 50lb from goal and I'm hitting a wall. It scares me, every day I wonder if 'this is it', kind of thing. I was losing well, then bam it stopped. I started going to the gym, making sure to drink at least 60oz of Water a day, and making sure I stayed 1,200 calories or less (began tracking again to figure out if I was eating more than I thought).

Despite that, I was still not moving. This weekend I was on vacation, ate bad, did not drink water like I normally do, had alcohol & desserts.. And I lost 1lb. I don't get it. Stupid bodies, right?

Unfortunately I don't have any great advice on the breaking the plateau. Only thing is...have you talked to a nutritionist? Your body might be in starvation mode. You are talking to the queen of too much exercise! Try cutting down on the exercise for 2 weeks (or upping the calories for 2 weeks) I know, I know...easier said then done. However if you notice your weight going up 1 or 2 pounds, you can easily reverse what you are doing. Believe me..I know this is easier said then done. You don't want to do either one because the fear of gaining is always there. I am SOOOOOO with you on that one, but fortunately for me I am just trying to maintain, but I completely understand the fear. I had to do the same thing so that I would stop losing. One other thought... have you started taking any new medication?

Now as for the 15 pounds before PS...have you talked to one. I know that one lady on the PS board just had a TT and had a higher BMI than you do. I am having my TT on July 3 and I am still technicall overweight, so often times a PS can do the surgery even if you still have a few pounds to lose. You will want to start shopping around for one about 2-3 months before you want surgery because it can take a lot of time.

Good luck! Keep us posted if you find something that works! But you have done amazingly well...I am positive you will find what the body needs.

I know that I am exercising too much, but I don't know what to do. I have tried cutting calories or increasing calories; I've tried it all.

You need to give your body a break. I remember my trainer pulling me aside one day, saying he's seen me 9 days in a row at the gym (3 w/him + extra days) and I NEED to give my muscles time to recoup the stress I'm putting on it.

IndioGirl gave similar advise I would. Change your meals up; Every other wk I give my trainer my "Calorie Counter Mea Plan" and he marks it up like he's grading a test. Add this / Scrap that, almost like our routines - every 2 wks the workout changes.

I had to start adding carbs, and was scared - but he was right; you have to have certain fuel if your going to workout consistently & hard.

Your also at the end of your weightloss - so it might go at a snails pace, don't be too hard on yourself...You've done amazing..

Good luck w/the PS

I've been this weight for about seven months now. I'd love to be 5 or 6kg lighter, but really I'm pretty darn happy with where I"m at now. The only reason I'd want to lose more is a) I'm a runner and the lighter the better but really mostly :blushing: because I still have saddlebags.

I think truly I'll have some Lipo late next year when I have a breast lift and call myself done. I maintain this weight effortlessly and I dont lose when I try to. I think my body likes it here. And if I lose more I suspect I'll just get skeletal up top and STILL have saddlebags.

You have done so well, but you are also putting incredible pressure on your body (through your non stop exercise) and on your mind (through your frustration and worry). I am wondering if you took some time off, like someone suggested - maybe 3 or 4 days - even a week - eat sensibly, but don't exercise and don't count calories. I don't think it can do any lasting damage to your fitness or weight loss goals and I am thinking your body could use the rest.

I also kind of think that our bodies need to adjust to the large weight changes as well. Maybe your body needs to spend some time at 165 getting redistributed - changing some of the Water loss to fat loss. I don't know - I have never been as slim as you (ok maybe when I was 10, but that doesn't count), but I also think our bodies want to hang out at a certain weight and trying to force it to change through excessive exercise isn't helping you at this point.

If all else fails, maybe you could try going on a liquid diet for a couple of days (high Protein. low calorie). I know when I do this after a fill, it is usually good for a couple of pounds, but I also recognize that that loss is not fat, but Water.< /p>

Try not to get too discouraged - you have done very well, and your ability to work through a two month plateau (or whatever it is) and not to resort back to eating is a MAJOR victory. Have you ever been able to face weight related adversity like this in the past and not resort to eating? Try and be proud of your achievements and recognize the strong beautiful person you are. :blushing:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, advice, and kind words. I am really going to take them to heart. I did some research and it is like a light bulb has gone on in my head. I AM exercising TOO much and not eating enough to sustain my body because of the strain I am putting on it when I work out 3 hours a day. DUHHH!!! No wonder I am sluggish, craving sweets, and starving all the time.

I am going to starting eating a few more calories (good quality foods) and exercising less. I have enrolled on My Daily Plate and I am tracking my food and exercise and maintaing a net 1200+ calories. I am going to see if this helps me start losing again, at the very least it will give my body and mind a bit of a break.

Thanks again and I will keep you all updated.

Jfran, you really have done an amazing job! You look great! I am opposite of you, I don't work out enough, lol. I am working on it though.

I hope you get past this pesky plateau soon. Keep us posted.

There's no technical point where it becomes impossible to lose fat or no one would ever starve to death. But our bodies came become VERY resistant to losing fat. I've been through months at a time. I'd welcome a 2 month period about now. :unsure:

If you enjoy the exercise, I don't think you necessarily need to cut down. 3 hours a day isn't totally excessive if you have the time for it, and it sounds like you make the time for it, so good for you! That's truly awesome. Maybe you've reached a point where your caloric intake is exactly what you need to run your body, and hit an unintentional maintenance phase. Look up your BMR, and then compare that to what you're eating daily. IF there's a deficit in favor of the BMR, then look to other causes.

Changing things up is good. If you do the same exercise routine, do something new. If you eat the same ratios, try to change them up. If you eat the same types of foods, try to add higher or fewer calorie foods. If you avoid carbs, do a carb feed. You can also try upping your Water, it helps your metabolism in more ways than I can list. And of course, sometimes it's a matter of just being patient.

Also keep in mind that no change on the scale doesn't mean you aren't continuing to drop fat mass. I've lost entire sizes with no change on the scale at all. Scale measures your entire mass, and really has nothing to do with fat composition.

Good luck!

I think you look great and don't have ANY advice.... but to say YOU LOOK GREAT!!!!!! :thumbup: