Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 4/24...here is my story...these helped me so I want to return the favor....

The night before I was super nervous and didn't sleep a lot. I went from feeling excitement to scared to nervous back to excitement.

I was scheduled to arrive at the surgery center at 8am. My surgery was scheduled for 9:30am. When I arrived, I was a self pay so I spent the 1st 15-20minutes taking care of the bill. Then they took me into an office and I signed a bunch of forms that explaind the risks, authorization for blood etc. My surgeon poked his head in, met my husband and said he would see me shortly. I finished with the paperwork and went back into the waiting room.

The surgical nurse came to get me and told me they would prep me and then my husband could join me when they were done. I went back to the day surgery area and the first thing they did was weigh me. I was down 12 pounds with the preop diet so I was thrilled. Then it was off to the bathroom to change clothes and give them a urine sample so they could do another pregnancy test. I changed clothes gave them the sample and then they put me in a bed. They gave me slipper socks to put on, very sexy I might add. Then the doc came in and asked me several questions and verified everything on my Bracelet. While that was happening the nurse was fishing for a vein for my IV. She gave me a shot of something that really burned before she put the IV in which hurt more than the IV. The IV came out before she could secure it so she went underneath my arm on my rist, repeated that process got it in and secured. Then they gave me 3 different types of medication. Some antibiotics etc. Then they gave me a shot in the stomach of blood thinner. I had heard this was really going to hurt and burn. I didn't even feel it. The IV hurt more than that shot. Then they put these new feet things on me that keep the circulation going during sugery and prevent clots. No long stockings like them much better than the stockings. Then it was hurry up and wait. I had about 5 minutes with my husband and then it was off to surgery.

When I got into the OR they told me I would move to another bed and then they would start to give me the drugs to relax me. That is the last thing I remember, I was out. The next thing I knew I was in recovery and really needed to go to the bathroom. I asked if I could go. The nurse helped me to the bathroom, I went which was the first of 3 tests to go home. When I came out of the bathroom they put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me over to a kinda sitting area. They gave me some stuff for nausea as I was a bit nauseated and then gave me some ice chips. Second test for getting out. My husband came in and I spent 15 minutes or so eating the ice chips and chilling out. Then the nurse came in and asked me if I wanted to get dressed, I said sure and my husband helped me put my clothes on. The nurse went over all my incisions and talked to and gave me instructions on them. I have 6 incisions. 5 really small ones and 1 that is a couple of inches or the port incision. Apparently while I was in surgery my husband was getting a class in taking care of me. He signed more stuff than I did on instructions etc. Once I was dressed and able to keep the ice chips down I was ready to go home. I arrived home by 12:30pm. Not to bad.

Felt no pain at all, took pain medication and liquid tylenol and tried to get comfortable. Slept most of the afternoon and my husband kept the pain medication flowing, had no problems swallowing anything. I sipped though. They also gave me this thing I was supposed to breath into every 15 minutes. Was supposed to keep the air sacks in my lungs open. I didn't do this as I was sleeping, I did it a couple of times.

I had a very hard time getting comfortable as I am a side sleeper. Hated laying on my back. I stayed propped up and would reccommend this highly in fact if you could sleep sitting up in a chair for a few days that would be ideal. I walked as much as I could tolerate and did experience slight gas pains first day. The Gasx strips did the trick and I haven't had any problems since.

The main pain I have had is from the port site. I have had redness and lots and lots of pain in that area. When I move I can feel pain in that area and getting up and down are the most painful parts. I was hoping to return to work on Monday following surgery but my port was still way to sore. I came back today and other than a bit of weakness feeling, all is good. Everyday is 100% better than the day before.

Hope this post helps as I studied these the most pre surgery so I would know what to expect. You are welcome to ask me anything and I will answer if it will help.

Happily banded....

This is just wonderful ..So informative. I didn't know about the shot in the tummy .Thank-you for saying you didn't feel it..

I am waiting for approval from the insurance and hope to get this going very soon.

Hope you feel even better than yesterday .

I am also being banded on May 5th! My pre-op is day after tomorrow 5/1 and I am so excited. I am ready to go NOW! Good luck!

Wow - your experience was very different from mine. Short version is that I did all paperwork a few days before and went right in to the hospital pre-op room. No pains for me with any of the preparations but hated the IV. No real pain just "a pain." I too was rolled in and woke up in recovery. Here is where we differed - I was not allowed up until I went into my private room (doctor arranges that as a courtesy for his patiens) and spent the night. I was glad to do that because the hospital bed and lounge-sort-of-chair was much easier to get up with. I also couldn't have ice chips or anything on Day One. Day Two I had to do a swallow test as an x-ray with a radiologist watching, got to eat a little Jello, broth, and drink some Water. I was out the next day.

Sounds like both our examples went smooth and I'm happy to share with any soon-to-be-banders. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for sharing your information. My surgery is May 13th - this helps a lot, although I will be spending one night in the hospital.

Thanks again.

I'm getting excited and ready to go. My surgery is Wed. May7th with Dr. Patel in San Antonio. Has anyone dealt with him and his office? When I'm able to get someone on the phone I'm always pleased with them but have had some trouble getting a hold of anyone for a while. I went to a seminar with Dr. Patel in Corpus and was very impressed. I feel confident that he is a good doctor and I'm really looking forward to my surgery. I'm ready to start getting some (alot) of this weight off.

My pre op is Tuesday and surgery Wed. He is having me spend the night and will watch me for 24 hours. I'm kinda glad but think I will want to go home as soon as I can. I hope to return to work on the following Monday. Sounds like that is realistic.

I don't personally know anyone that has been banded so ready all of this has helped! I have been researching and reading everything that I can. My family and friends are all being very supportive and I have not had any negative responses. :lol:

I am so happy for you that everything went well. I am to awaiting surgery on June 25th!!! I have had to put it off due to DS Birthday, T-Ball and Summer Vacation that was already planned. I am looking forward to my band date!!

Wow.. somewhat different for me... the shot in my tummy DID hurt! sorry!

I wasnt allowed to eat anything till the following day. and I didnt have to spend the night.. BUT YES YES YES if you have some sort of recliner use it!! it was sooo much more comfortable then laying on my back in bed or trying to find a way to sleep (side sleeper) on a flat surface.. getting up is much easier too if you are in a recliner!!

Good luck everyone! I was banded March 7th and just recently have been able to sleep on EITHER side. Although I am happier on my NON PORT side! :lol:

~Destynee~

The night before I was super nervous and didn't sleep a lot. I went from feeling excitement to scared to nervous back to excitement.

I was scheduled to arrive at the surgery center at 8am. My surgery was scheduled for 9:30am. When I arrived, I was a self pay so I spent the 1st 15-20minutes taking care of the bill. Then they took me into an office and I signed a bunch of forms that explaind the risks, authorization for blood etc. My surgeon poked his head in, met my husband and said he would see me shortly. I finished with the paperwork and went back into the waiting room.

The surgical nurse came to get me and told me they would prep me and then my husband could join me when they were done. I went back to the day surgery area and the first thing they did was weigh me. I was down 12 pounds with the preop diet so I was thrilled. Then it was off to the bathroom to change clothes and give them a urine sample so they could do another pregnancy test. I changed clothes gave them the sample and then they put me in a bed. They gave me slipper socks to put on, very sexy I might add. Then the doc came in and asked me several questions and verified everything on my Bracelet. While that was happening the nurse was fishing for a vein for my IV. She gave me a shot of something that really burned before she put the IV in which hurt more than the IV. The IV came out before she could secure it so she went underneath my arm on my rist, repeated that process got it in and secured. Then they gave me 3 different types of medication. Some antibiotics etc. Then they gave me a shot in the stomach of blood thinner. I had heard this was really going to hurt and burn. I didn't even feel it. The IV hurt more than that shot. Then they put these new feet things on me that keep the circulation going during sugery and prevent clots. No long stockings like them much better than the stockings. Then it was hurry up and wait. I had about 5 minutes with my husband and then it was off to surgery.

When I got into the OR they told me I would move to another bed and then they would start to give me the drugs to relax me. That is the last thing I remember, I was out. The next thing I knew I was in recovery and really needed to go to the bathroom. I asked if I could go. The nurse helped me to the bathroom, I went which was the first of 3 tests to go home. When I came out of the bathroom they put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me over to a kinda sitting area. They gave me some stuff for nausea as I was a bit nauseated and then gave me some ice chips. Second test for getting out. My husband came in and I spent 15 minutes or so eating the ice chips and chilling out. Then the nurse came in and asked me if I wanted to get dressed, I said sure and my husband helped me put my clothes on. The nurse went over all my incisions and talked to and gave me instructions on them. I have 6 incisions. 5 really small ones and 1 that is a couple of inches or the port incision. Apparently while I was in surgery my husband was getting a class in taking care of me. He signed more stuff than I did on instructions etc. Once I was dressed and able to keep the ice chips down I was ready to go home. I arrived home by 12:30pm. Not to bad.

Felt no pain at all, took pain medication and liquid tylenol and tried to get comfortable. Slept most of the afternoon and my husband kept the pain medication flowing, had no problems swallowing anything. I sipped though. They also gave me this thing I was supposed to breath into every 15 minutes. Was supposed to keep the air sacks in my lungs open. I didn't do this as I was sleeping, I did it a couple of times.

I had a very hard time getting comfortable as I am a side sleeper. Hated laying on my back. I stayed propped up and would reccommend this highly in fact if you could sleep sitting up in a chair for a few days that would be ideal. I walked as much as I could tolerate and did experience slight gas pains first day. The Gasx strips did the trick and I haven't had any problems since.

The main pain I have had is from the port site. I have had redness and lots and lots of pain in that area. When I move I can feel pain in that area and getting up and down are the most painful parts. I was hoping to return to work on Monday following surgery but my port was still way to sore. I came back today and other than a bit of weakness feeling, all is good. Everyday is 100% better than the day before.

Hope this post helps as I studied these the most pre surgery so I would know what to expect. You are welcome to ask me anything and I will answer if it will help.

Happily banded....

I was banded the same day. Did well for 3 weeks, now it's like the band was never put it. I have my big appetite back and no little pouch saying ..stop!... My doc WILL NOT do adjustments for 6 weeks, so I guess the post-op swelling is down, and in need of adjustment but in the meantime I'm gaining back some of the 25 I'd lost. It's getting very discouraging. First fill next week. Will I feel like I have a small pouch again that will tell me when to stop eating???? Help!! So discouraged!! Chris

Dont be...discouraged that is.. I am going in for my 2nd fill tomorrow. And I cant wait.. I have had the same problem as you. I have had to be responsible for the amount of food I put in my mouth. I TRY to limit myself to small portions its hard and on some days I am sooo hungry I end of reaching for something not so smart! but then I move on. New day. Dont beat yourself up just try to make good choices on MOST days.. My doctor also will only do fills in 6 week increments

good luck!

I was also banded on 4/24. Your description of surgery day is identical to my experience - I mean every detail. I also did not feel the belly shot. The nurse who did my IV was very good and I barely felt that either. Your post-op also sounds like mine. I had (and still have some) significant pain on the port side where the big incision was made. I had to have my husband help me get up and down because it's hard not to use those muscles. Anyway, your description of the surgery day is right on and hopefully it will help those who are not yet banded.

Thanks for posting!