Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Glucophage takers

I was banded on 4/11. Pre-surgery I took 2000 mg daily of Glucophage XR (the time-released version of Glucophage.) I tried taked regular Glucophage, but was always sick. The problem now is the Glucophage XR pills are HUGE and they specifically say not to cut or crush them. I just don't see how I could get them down.

At this point, I have cut way back on my insulin, and could probably stop using it completely if I could get down the Glucophage. Anyone with a similar situation?

I was on the same dose. I haven't taken my since I started the pre-op diet though. I'm Insulin Resistant, not diabetic so there was no risk per se for me to stop them. In fact, with the small amount of calories we now eat, they were worried my sugar would drop to fast. If I were to need to take them, they would've had to switch me to the older version (not time release) because they could be crushed.

Right now, if you don't have restriction, I would think you could get them down without any trouble. I would definitely call your doctor though. Maybe they forgot to address that with you. Let me know what they tell you!

~C

My name is Sharon I am on Glucophage too. I am also on 1000mg 2 times a day. I will not be taking mine today or tomarrow until I can get back with my Dr. on Thursday to see what she wants me to do. All the rest of my medications are gel caps I think they will desolve ok. I have read that many have not taken there Glucophage pills.< /p>

YAY!!! Good for you! Isn't it great to have these little victories?

I'm happy for you!

~C

I split mine in half otherwise it would get stuck. My pharmacist said it was ok. I'm hoping to kick all the insulin and oral med quickly!! :-)

Good luck!

I also take it and was able to get it down with no problem until my 4th fill. At 2.3 cc in my 4 cc band thats when I had problems. If I take it with something warm and right after eating it still goes down OK..

I was banded on 4/11. Pre-surgery I took 2000 mg daily of Glucophage XR (the time-released version of Glucophage.) I tried taked regular Glucophage, but was always sick. The problem now is the Glucophage XR pills are HUGE and they specifically say not to cut or crush them. I just don't see how I could get them down.

At this point, I have cut way back on my insulin, and could probably stop using it completely if I could get down the Glucophage. Anyone with a similar situation?

I was also banded on 4/11/08 and was taking 1000 mg of glucophage xr a day.

My doctor has since swithed me to 100 mg a day of Januvia.

Very much a smaller pill.

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I was banded 11/7/07. Weighed 275. And I was taking 100 units of Lantus at bedtime and 12-24 units of Humalog with each meal.

My weight loss has been painfully slow. Dr. thought that the insulin was slowing it down. So I convinced my endo to let me try Glucophage along with my insulin with the aim of reducing the Humalog and speeding up my weight loss.

It was working pretty well until my last band fill. Now I can't eat (or sometimes even drink water) if I take the Glucophage in the morning. I have been vomiting the tiny lunch I can eat (yesterday 2 oz of cottage cheese).

I tried skipping the Glucophage and I have restriction but don't throw up. And when I do take the pills, I can feel them for HOURS!!! Has anyone found other oral meds that have helped???

yamyam

When I first got banded in 2007, my dr. changed my dosage to 2 500 mg. pills at a time instead of 1 LG. 1000 mg. pill. Now, I've gone back to the 1000 mg. pill without a problem swallowing. I have been able to get off of my insulin but are still on pills. I would have thought I would have been off all meds. by now. My dr. said if I lose the rest of the weight then I'll probably be off of it all.

im on the same meds gluc and my doc ok'd me to take mine i did no problem it has to disolve at some point one doct did the surgery and my PCP ok the changed i double check with the surgeon since she would know more about what i can take oral i did fine as a matter of fact i have not taken the med the 2nd week of surgery ( 05-05-08 ) blood pressure med none! at night my sugars are 110-113 ams are lower so why bother taking them im sure you've heard this a million times..before stoping any type of meds check with your doc, i was the 1st pt of my PCP to have the band so im educating my MD bringing him Imfo and he went to a semi just to make sure he recived the correct imfo'

Glad to find this forum for Diabetics I am type II. And I take two of those horse pills a day.

I hope to end up off them totally, I am not insulin dependent but do have hypothyrodism and take meds for that. Hope I am off a lot of pills by the end of this.

I will be banded on August 7th. Can't wait

For those of you taking Glucophage, have you considered changing to Riomet? It is liquid metformin.

go to www.riomet.com to read more!

I was also told it was okay to break them in half.

Good luck! :)

I didn't take any of my diabetes meds after surgery. I was on Lantus, metformin, and Avandia. When I went to mushies, my blood sugar started getting high, so I added back the Avandia, 1 of my 4 metformin horse pills, and I've worked my way up to all 4 of the metformin. Didn't have to resume Lantus. My blood sugar levels have been getting progressively lower as I lose weight, so I think I'll eventually be off all of them.

Have you tried Avandia? That one seems to work real magic on me.

Good luck!