Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit a Plateau

I am 6 month out from banding. I have lost 50 pounds and I am

stuck! I assume I have reached a plateau. Has anyone experience

this and how long does it last. I am exercising (walking) and being

very careful with what I eat.

Sweeney in Kansas City

Hi SK,

Oh yes. I took the advise from this board and changed my diet around a little bit. I switched from my oatmeal in the AM to a piece of toast and some yogurt. Sometimes you have to fool your metabolism a little bit.

You should get a lot of responses!

Also, some of my nasty habits starting to crawl back and had I to give myselft a good kick in the buttocks! Such as snacking in front of the TV. Once I start that business...I am in trouble again.

I am losing again, but I did struggle for quite some time til I sat down and really figured out what was going on here.

Good luck! YOu can do this!!!!

SK,

Also, don't blame yourself either. Someone on this board explained your body is trying to figure out what the heck is going on here and you will stop losing for a bit, but you will be OK.

Don't feel bad, I just broke a 6 week plateau this morning. It is very discouraging! Last Monday I went and got a fill and I worked my butt off yesterday and watched every calorie that I put in and when I went to bed I told myself "if this scale doesn't move in the morning something is wrong!" this morning.... down 3#! Sometimes you just have to really watch what you are putting in your mouth and burn more than you eat.

Plateaus are a natural thing. Your body always tries to find balance. You have lost 50 lbs!!!! that's fabulous, but your body is a little confused. It might be time to up your exercise to something more intense (but not enough to hurt yourself). How about pool aerobics? Keep going and convince your body you are serious, and it will start dropping weight again soon!

Not to discourage, but I just finished a 1 year plateau! The thing is, I didn't realize that I needed a fill, and I truly wasn't following bandster eating rules (protein first, not drinking while eating, get 80g Protein a day...those were the rules given to me). I got a very very small fill (.1) and realized that the rules were what I needed and I started losing again. Hope that might help!

I may win the "award" :( for longest plateau. I have been at the same place, down 55 lbs. and holding, for almost two years. I just moved back to LA area and had my first fill after 18 months! I am so pleased to be back in the game. Unfortunately I have learned well how maintain the status quo, and need to stimulate my body, metabolism and motivation back into active loss mode. It is so scary to ask for more, to believe I can achieve 100%. It is so hard to ask for help, but that is what I am doing now.

LindaMac

I recently asked the same question, I had been at a standstill for about 3 weeks. Someone recommended that I increase my calories for a day or 2, then increase my exercise and lower my calories back down. Increasing the calories seems to trick your body into easing up. It worked for me, I lost 3 pounds this week.

Good luck.

I keep this list of things to do when I hit a plateau, because I seem to hit one often. :coolgleamA: When I follow these things, I start losing again. Good luck to you!

Here are some suggestions:

FIRST, believe you can do this. If you let doubt creep in and bring you down you may sabotage yourself by living up to your own 'doubtful' expectations. Be your own Cheerleader!!!!:cool2: You have to be your biggest supporter!!!

Make sure you have the right 'fill' (search this forum for help on this). If not then take action, make an appointment. NOTE: If you are too full, you may not be able to eat the proper Proteins, so make sure you can eat Protein.

Start tracking every morsel you put in your mouth. Sometimes we are eating things that may not be the best for Lap Band people. Remember high Protein, low carb is the best for us.

Get all your Water in

Make sure you have 90 grams of protein. Start your day with a high Protein shake, and end your day with one for an evening shake.< /span>

Keep carbs to 50 or less

Shake up your exercise, do something different, if you walk then try an aerobics video, etc. Keep a set of hand weights by your desk, or TV and do them periodically throughout the day. Look for opportunities to move. At work stand to do things you normally sit for. At home stand when you fold laundry etc. Move move move.

Stop eating 2 hours before bedtime or set a permanent time like no eating after 7PM

Eat protein every 1.5 - 2 hours, something small like a few nuts, a spoonful of PB, a half ounce of cheese, keep the metabolism boosted all day so it does not slow down to conserve (often people will think they should skip eating to lose weight but instead their bodies will slow down burning much needed fuel) I was told to even set an alarm to beep every 2 hours so that I wouldn't forget.

Let the band do it's job, when you start to feel full STOP!

Review Lapband rules of eating and make sure you are following them!

GET Sleep! See this article at WebMD:The Dream Diet: Losing Weight While You sleep

Start your own list of plateau lifters and go to it whenever you hit one again.

Edited by BandedMomX6
oops... spelling

Thanks to all that replied to my plateau question. I changed up by

diet by eating Protein, fruit, vegatable at each meal (lunch and dinner)

and had egg whites and oatmeal for Breakfast. Pushed the Water to 100 ozs. LOST 7 POUNDS IN 5 DAYS. Amazing! Thanks for all the good advice. I will increase my exercise and keep tricking my body with new food choices periodically. Such a relief!

Thanks to all that replied to my plateau question. I changed up by

diet by eating Protein, fruit, vegatable at each meal (lunch and dinner)

and had egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast. Pushed the Water to 100 ozs. LOST 7 POUNDS IN 5 DAYS. Amazing! Thanks for all the good advice. I will increase my exercise and keep tricking my body with new food choices periodically. Such a relief!

woo woo!!! good for you!!!

Did you do any exercise?

Still at a plateau. But I keep changing things and I'm down another inch on my waste so I have a feeling the scale will soon follow.

To BandedMomX6: I did increase my walking and I made sure I was

getting 30 minutes a day. But the most significant thing was how I

balanced my diet. I made sure to have the Protein but have added

some carbs like sweet potato and baked potato and I make sure

to get two fruit servings. I continue to do one Protein Shake a day

to supplement my protein. It really is just healthy eating following

all the lapband suggestions. Hope you have had a good week.

I am also at a standstill. I quite losing weight over a year ago and have been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds! It is very frustrating, I only have about 15-20 pounds to go but I have pretty much given up. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I don't eat hardly any bread, Pasta, or rice. The carbs I do eat are REALLY bad for me but I have also cut down on that also. Should I be eating things like Oatmeal and rice? I am only supposed to get under 60 grams of carbs a day and 60-80 grams of Protein. The problem is, if you go higher on the Protein wouldn't your fat grams go higher? My dietician told me that I should keep fat under 25 grams, but if I do low carb, my fat grams will be higher. Help! I am so confused. Also, Oatmeal I know is good for you but has alot of carbs in it. I really need some knowledge on what I should be eating.

Thanks

:confused_smile:

I have been reading everyones advice and sounds all good, what I do is go for a 30 minute walk few times a week,that gets me losing again.