Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

He says lapband is horrible...Go w/ Bypass!!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

I saw the videos a few months ago. I don't know the guy personally, but I didn't get a good vibe from him. Seems like he is just trying to persuade people to follow HIS WLS procedure.

Didn't he do gastric bypass and mini gastric bypass or was it just the mini GB?

I noticed that too! I really did get that vibe, and I feel like he spends a lot of time making these videos for the web to scare people, less banders, more business for him - in his eyes I suppose.

I did notice that if you search Youtube for 'lapband' he has the biggest percentage of videos. Cha! Whatev. Glad I figured out what his deal was.

*still aware the things he talks about are real, but I wanted to know why he was posting negatives on the band specifically.

Guest BikiniBeachy

One thing I do want to mention to you Beachy, you say you want the band so that you can have it adjusted for vacations. One of the first things my dr said during my initial seminar was that he absolutely would NOT unfill the band for things like that. This is a part of me and a part of my life, it will only be unfilled if medically necessary.

I know every dr is different but I thought I should mention that in case it is part of your decision. You may want to discuss it with your dr.

thanks for the info. I'll have to see what my specific surgeon I get assigned says. I tend to throw all caution to the wind on trips so I wasn't thinking a *fill* on vacations. :smile2:

Guest BikiniBeachy

My Dr was band opposed. My PCP refused to ok me for the band. Look at them now....

Congrats ! I bet you love going in and seeing them :smile2: If you are still even under their care.

Brandy...your puppy is SO cute by the way.

People like Dr. Rutledge really tick me off. :biggrin:

I've seen websites by RNY docs that have a lot of band misinformation too, and that irritates me as well.

Oh, well. What can ya do?

I'm very happy I chose banding, and I think you'll appreciate the choice as well once you're on your way and dropping the poundage. :smile2:

It's interesting how doctors in the different countries approach these surgeries. In Australia, the Lap Band accounts for well over 90% of all WLS and I think this figure is growing, rather than reducing. The numbers in the link below are a little old (2005) but you can see that the trend is there.

I know that when I first brought up surgery with my GP (PCP?), I said I wanted to give the drug therapy one last bash and if that didn't work, I would consider the surgery. When I went back after failing at that (yet again), he didn't bat an eyelid and wrote out the referral to the surgeon without hesitation. When I went to see the surgeon, he asked me (once!) if I had considered other types of surgery (which he also performed). When I said I had investigated them but would not consider doing it, he dropped the subject and was quite happy to recommend the band, with the warnings and provisos that it did require more effort by the patient.

I find it extremely peculiar that doctors in the US are actually pushing RNY or DS in preference to the Lap Band.

Obesity, weight loss and bariatric surgery - published by the Australian Medical Association

Some extracts:

"The surgical treatment of obesity (bariatric surgery) is the most rapidly growing area of surgical practice in Australia today.23 This reflects both the ability of bariatric surgical procedures to provide a solution to an otherwise insoluble problem and the evolution of safer, less invasive procedures. Today there are essentially three procedures in use: laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB), Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) and biliopancreatic diversion (Box 1). There is variation in preferred procedure between countries, often reflecting local regulatory and insurance factors. In Australia, LAGB is the procedure of choice in more than 90% of cases, with RYGB making up most of the rest...The key features of LAGB that have led to its acceptance are its safety, minimal invasiveness, adjustability, reversibility and overall effectiveness."

2 Annual number of bariatric procedures performed in Australia, 1994–2004*

obr10369_fm-2.gif

LAGB = laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. RYGB = Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. * Medicare Benefits Schedule item numbers 30511 (LAGB and other gastroplasty procedures) and 30512 (RYGB) (from unpublished Health Insurance Commission data).

Edited by Fanny Adams

IMO part of it is that the bypass has been approved for us in the US for longer than the band. For a while, insurance wouldn't cover the band in many cases even though it would cover bypass. Lap band was considered experimental at first. The weird thing is that you'd think insurance companies would jump all over lap band since it's cheaper than RnY and would cover it and only cover RnY under special circumstances.

IMO part of it is that the bypass has been approved for us in the US for longer than the band. For a while, insurance wouldn't cover the band in many cases even though it would cover bypass. Lap band was considered experimental at first. The weird thing is that you'd think insurance companies would jump all over lap band since it's cheaper than RnY and would cover it and only cover RnY under special circumstances.

I think the fact that the band is cheaper is why allot of doctors seem to push it. Or maybe its the fact that many are more comfortable/used to doing the RNY compared to the band.

I joined a mailing list this wee for knitting and mentioned getting the band done soon as the reason why I wanted to learn better how to resize patterns. And I was somewhat suprised to have several people mail me off list putting down the band and promoting RNY. One lady even said her DR. said the band was a failure and was going out of style and wouldn't even be on the market in 5 years. Boy did that one keep me chuckling for a couple days.

"One lady even said her DR. said the band was a failure and was going out of style and wouldn't even be on the market in 5 years."

Hehehe - that made me chuckle too! I guess no-one told her doc that it has been a great success for many years in other countries and is still growing in popularity?

Congrats ! I bet you love going in and seeing them :w00t: If you are still even under their care.

Brandy...your puppy is SO cute by the way.

The PCP I dropped like a hot potatoe. She pushed me to get the bypass and was unrelenting.

My surgeon however, did back down, and did my band. He told me a few weeks ago he was the biggest band opponent, but I have made him a believer! :huh2:

Edited by Boo Boo Kitty

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I watched those videos as well and they almost made me not want this surgery. Bottom line YOU have to follow the doctors recommedations, they have always said it is a tool. It WILL NOT do the work for you.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>i

Guest BikiniBeachy

I think the fact that the band is cheaper is why allot of doctors seem to push it. Or maybe its the fact that many are more comfortable/used to doing the RNY compared to the band.

I joined a mailing list this wee for knitting and mentioned getting the band done soon as the reason why I wanted to learn better how to resize patterns. And I was somewhat suprised to have several people mail me off list putting down the band and promoting RNY. One lady even said her DR. said the band was a failure and was going out of style and wouldn't even be on the market in 5 years. Boy did that one keep me chuckling for a couple days.

WOAH and wow...although they are both bariatric surgeries, I feel like they are in such different categories. Cutting, stapling and re-rerouting your stomach, while effective for ...(some? most?) seems outregous to me while we have a new choice at the time. I'd understand why some wouldn't go for it, but for some to just come out and say it won't be around in a few years? Look at how many new members, posts and blogs pop up on our little lapbandtalk.com site everyday...an indication that while this doctor thinks this, the public is definitely NOT losing interest at a steady rate by any means!

I'm getting a lot of posts on here that are making me feel like I didn't make myself clear. I am very aware of the necesity for your own willpower with both operations, and I am also set on the Lap Band, I'm not getting bypass, I posted this trying to find out about this specific doctor and his youtube videos.

I know it might be frustrating that your specific question hasn't been answered by everyone, but you should also realize that a lot of people are reading it and they might be getting some good info from the other stuff as well. threads normally don't stay on topic. oh well.

my doc says that he doesn't worry about his bypass patients losing weight. he knows they will because the surgery basically leaves you no choice. he does worry about his band patients losing. BUT, he says that if a band patient does lose the weight, he doesnt worry about them keeping it off. to lose weight with the band, you have to change your habits, and by the time you lose your weight, you eat healthy and exercise. with the bypass, he DOES worry about them keeping the weight off, and he sees many gain some of their weight back. they don't have to relearn how to eat to lose weight, and after a year or so, when their stomach volume has naturally increased and they can eat some sugar again, weight can begin to creep back on.

he also said that many docs that tout one surgery over the other do it because they are more familiar with that surgery, and so are more comfortable with it.

WOAH and wow...although they are both bariatric surgeries, I feel like they are in such different categories. Cutting, stapling and re-rerouting your stomach, while effective for ...(some? most?) seems outregous to me while we have a new choice at the time. I'd understand why some wouldn't go for it, but for some to just come out and say it won't be around in a few years? Look at how many new members, posts and blogs pop up on our little lapbandtalk.com site everyday...an indication that while this doctor thinks this, the public is definitely NOT losing interest at a steady rate by any means!

Yea I know and like Fanny Adams said

Hehehe - that made me chuckle too! I guess no-one told her doc that it has been a great success for many years in other countries and is still growing in popularity?

People outside the US have had bands for 10+ more years longer then us in the US. And the band is actually considered preventitive(sp?) in europe.

Cadets71. I just got back from a mini vacation to Las Vegas. My first trip. I have two fills, not at optimal restriction as I have NEVER PBd, but I'm still losing slowly. I did fine in Las Vegas as far as eating goes. It was my first time traveling for pleasure. I was able to eat healthy and watch my portions. I did great until I had a martini at the Stratosphere!! Holy cow! It may have well have been an IV drip. Other than that I did great. I loved Las Vegas even though we didn't gamble much or win anything....Just saw the sights.

As for Dr. Rutledge..... Everyone has their own horn to toot and he's tooting his. I was also told that banding was a mistake that I would only lose about 50 pounds in a year. I'm at 50 pounds now in 5 months. I'm thrilled with my band and very satisfied with my weight loss. It is hard work, but ethically I could NEVER do a bypass. There are people in my support group who have, and many are miserable and look like death warmed over. Bald Patches on their heads, get B12 shots every 2 - 4 weeks for the rest of their lives, problems with low blood sugar, hands trembling, general weakness from muscle loss, skin like paste, repeatedly hospitalized for dehydration. YUCK! The lapbanders look much healthier. I wouldn't want their problems.