Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does flying make band tighter?

I was told by a fellow bander that she flew to Vegas and her band got really tight. She said she called the dr and he said that it does in fact make the band tighter. Anyone else experience this?

I am leaving for FLA on Tuesday and need to know if I should talk to dr on Monday. Thanks for the support.

I was banded about 10 weeks ago and have 2 fills, I've flown several times with no problem. I am extra careful about food choices in the air and immediately following, but that has been because I have always been traveling on business and going directly into meetings.

I flew for the first time ever to Vegas and back last week from Florida. I had no problems with my band at all. The restriction remained the same.

I'm flying on May 11th and asked my Dr. last time I was there. He told me the only way the band could tighten would be if there is air in the tubing. He said if it is just saline in there, it is impossible for any expansion. So . . .I'm hoping for the best! Good luck to you.

I noticed that when I went to the mountains I was a lot tighter. I also noticed when I went on a 4 hours flight that I was tighter but just a little. I would just be careful and bring a Protein Shake and something safe with you in case the food on the plane is a no no.

You will notice it the day you fly if you are tighter. Everyone is different but I would just be on the safe side and don't eat anything the day before that you might PB on and then be swollen inside in case you do get a tad tighter. The band has a mind of its own as one day you feel really tight the next you can eat no problem. You can eat one meal fine then heat it up the next day and it sticks. It is a mystery.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Sorry, I'm clueless here, but I saw something that made me quite curious. Is there supposed to be air in the band, is that uncommon?

Do you mean air because of it getting tighter? I think it is not so much the band it is more your body/stomach changing too. It could make the Fluid move that is your fill. I am not sure why it does it but your not suppose to have air in your band just saline from the fill.

When I fly, I am tighter. When I retain Water for any reason, I am tighter. Hell, if the weather is weird, I can get tighter. Mm... stress too.

I think it has more to do with Water retention than anything. They say to drink an extra glass of water for every hour you are in the air, or something like that.

My band got tighter when i flew to south africa, but recently went to hawaii and my band was not effected. I can't eat most of the food on the plane but that is a choce not being able to is different. (i did not like the food before the band). Africa was in sep and hawaii in march who knows why it is different but just try to keep the Water going and it want effect you after the flight. Hot tea helped on the way to africa with the band so maybe try that if yu have a problem

beth

I just got off a plane an hour ago and it did not make me tighter. It was a 3 hour flight and I was in first class and ate the meal with no problem.

However, when I am on long international flights (7 + hours), it defnitely makes me tighter...for days afterwards, it seems.

I just flew to Chicago this week and I felt it while in the air but it didn't last once we were on the ground.

I've flown many times and not experienced any changes in my band tightness. It's probably one of those individual things.

I think that Fluid retention might be part of it like someone else mentioned. I always drink a ton of Water on flying days.

Also, stress can tighten you up, so if you get really stressed while flying then plan on feeling tighter from that.

I do a 3hr flight every week to and from my work (I work on a remote mine site, 3000km from home) and I have never noticed a difference in tightness. I have noticed however, that I can no longer eat all of the meals provided on the plane - I used to eat it all, as well as the cheese & crackers snack, and get off the plane still hungry. Now, I can only manage the meal and leave the bread roll, crackers and cake because it won't fit in. That's been the same however, from the time of my first flight after banding and the portion I eat is no more or less than I would eat at any other main meal.

I was skeptical about this. But I experienced it first hand. Small local flights at a lower altitude don't affect me, but the long flights up to 30,000 ft. do indeed make me tighter. The cabin is pressurized and so is your band. If there is a difference in the pressure, I can see how it may affect it. I flew to DC from Texas and was tight for about 3 -4 hours after the flight. I could feel the tightening during the flight and just stuck to Water. Being stuck packed in an airplane with the bathrooms full and a line to boot, and getting stuck or having to PB was not something I wanted to experience.