Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost 10lb in 1st week, NOTHING since!

Is this normal?

I haven't even budged half a pound in this last week and have been banded 2 weeks today.

I'm eating around 500 calories a day by having soft stuff and Soups etc.

Is my body thinking i'm starving? Do I need to eat more?

Will my weight loss kick in soon?

I was delighted with my 10lb in my 1st week but to lose nothing since then is quite disheartening.

Any professionals out there that can suggest something?

Or even non professionals for that matter!!

Thanks,

Gill x :rolleyes2:

hi gill. This is totally normal, par for the course.

I am banded since late February and in the first 2 weeks(on liquids) I lost 17 pounds which I was thrilled with. Then when I started eating mushies the weight loss stalled for about 2-3 weeks. Basically you are regaining the weight you lost when on liquids (starvation) but this is countered by the fact that you are losing weight if that makes sense. Personally I don't think you are eating enough calories. What did your doctor recommend?

Anyway, after about 2 weeks of staying the same weight it started to go down again but much more slowly. I am nearly 9 weeks post banding and am down about 26pounds which averages at nearly 3 pounds per week which I am happy with. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago and am due another in 2 weeks. I have a little restriction but can still eat a good bit so I'm delighted I'm still managing to lose weight.

Best of luck and don't get disheartened.

Hi there, congratulations on being banded.

Please remember that the first 5-6 weeks post banding should not be about weight loss, but rather about healing. Any weight you lose during this time is a bonus. 10 pounds is a bonus - and you will likely lose more.

I agree with ailbhe that you could probably increase your calories - make sure you get all the nutrients you need to heal. I have been banded for 2 weeks, 5 days, so just a little ahead of you. I try to take in 1000 calories a day, which includes 70 grams Protein.

Best wishes on your journey.

Luscious- how much did you lose post band (not incl pre op diet?) ?

I'm trying to increase my calories and Protein now!

Thanks for advice

Gill xx

Edited by Gill27UK

Thanks for the advice. I know I'm healing and still do love my band but It was just a bit deflating.

Gill x

I'm glad you love your band. I know its hard, but try not to let the scales make you sad (they are our worst enemy sometimes). Fluid fluctuations, and a whole host of other things affect our weight.

My surgeon did not require me to do any pre-op diet. I've been banded 2 weeks and 5 days - and have lost 12 kgs, which is about 26 to 27 pounds. Everyone is different though. My weight loss has no doubt been accelerated because I've been able to get my blood sugar levels more than havled, and into normal range. I've also been able to stop taking 2 of my meds (I gained about 6 kgs when I started taking them). Post op, I didn't really lose anything the first week, then dropped 8 kgs the next few days. Bodies are wierd, and all different.

I have also tried to keep my calories from fat/protein/carbs about equal (which is the principal of the zone diet). I find as a type 2 diabetic it helps keep my blood sugar normal.

I'm really focussing on getting my blood sugar normal - that will be a bit part of my weight loss.

Also, I use FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal to track my food - calories/protein/carbs/fat etc. I just find it helps me to ensure I am getting enough of what I need to be healthier.

Edited by Luscious

I know the scale is important to all of us but you could be losing inches. I have only lost 20 lbs and have been banded since Feb 21, 2008. I am still in the same size clothes but they fit the way they are suppose to now not stretched to the max. But everyone compliments me on how much weight I have lost. So just remember inches are melting away too. Good luck.

Gill27UK - Yes, eat more. As it was explained to me, if you eat too little, your body thinks you are in starvation mode and hangs on to every ounce. Once I started eating more, the weight started coming off.

I understand your anxiety. When I went back for my first fill I had only lost 3 pounds. I felt pretty awful,but have faith. Your body is getting used to a whole new regime. Don't eat too few calories, eat what you know are the "right foods" and don't despair..after the first disappointment, I started losing again, and in one week have suddenly lost 5 pounds. It will happen. Good luck.

Gill,

I understand your frustration. I posted earlier this week for the same reason. I was banded on April 8. On the 14th, I showed an 11 lb loss. On the 21st - nothing. I know that I am following the rules and I just have to have faith that it will all work out. I am not going to weigh now for two weeks, just so I don't get into the habit of looking at the scale too often.

Hang in there. It will work out.

Alice

I had the exact same experience... I lost 12 pounds the first week after surgery then NOTHING. And I didn't lose any more for quite a while. I know how frustrating it is, believe me I had my share of temper tantrums over it. But now, six months post-op, it is all a memory. You end up losing weight eventually, and once you lose it you quickly forget WHEN you lost it. Remember that you just had major surgery. You need to heal right now. You also haven't had a fill yet, so you aren't even getting the benefit of a working band. Some people stay swollen for longer after surgery and feel restriction from the swelling. Others don't feel restriction for very long because their swelling goes down. (that's how I was) I could eat as much food as I could have eaten before surgery. Once I had several fills (five) I got the restriction I needed to control my portion sizes and the weight started to come off. I know how hard and frustrating it is, but be patient and you will lose weight!

I came to this board tonight to post this EXACT post!!! I lost 20 pounds pre-op, then another 10 between the cleansing for the surgery and the liquid phase post op. But, I've been on mushies for 10 days and I've gained 1.5 pounds!! I figured that I was retaining Water and that possibly my body still hasn't recovered from the surgery, but I wanted to hear from others than had gone through the same thing. Also, the Foley catheter (sp?) from the surgery caused me to get my period 10 days early - and I bloat a lot during my period. I really didn't need that!

I think I'm eating enough - I don't think that my problem is eating too little calories (I've allowed myself some ice cream almost every day - but it's only been a scoop or two! Hey, it's mushie foods) However, I have don't really have hunger, I only know my body is hungry when my stomach growls. I know I'm eating less than I was pre-surgery. Also, I take a 20-30 minute walk every night with my hubby. I'm not breaking any speed records because I still feel as if my insides are loose, but atleast I'm out there.

I cannot thank you girls enough for the advice that this is par for the course. I was a little worried.

~Marlene

Banded 4/10/08

Hello everyone,

I lost 10 pounds pre-surgery and then 13 since I was banded on April 17th. I am feeling great, my post surgery diet seems different then everyones . . . the clinic I went to just introduced a new post operate diet, I was on full liquids week one and now I am on pureed . . so I can have canned tuna, eggs, chili, just no chunks, next week I start soft food, chicken, soft veggies etc. Anyway back to weight loss, the last couple of days my scales have stopped moving, my calorie intake is around 750 - 800 but honestly I don't feel like eating more then I already am . .

I've been banded a week and 2 days and am also stalling. I know that I'm not eating enough calories but how in the world do you eat 1000 or even 800 calories a day when 1) you're on a liquid diet and 2) you have NO desire to eat anything at all. I'm probably getting around 500 calories a day.

My dr. told me on Tuesday that I'm dehydrated so I'm concentrating on getting plenty of liquids but you can't drink while you eat so it seems like all I do is watch the clock. There just isn't enough time in the day or room in my teeny tiny stomach for all the Water and calories I need to consume.

This is a whole new world for me. I went from obviously eating WAY too many calories every single day to now, not being able to find enough calories to eat. Help!

Hi Stacey,

I feel the same as you, I must say though that just in the last two days I have been able to eat more, my swelling must be going down.

Question, how did you get the ticker to show below your replies?