Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just 30 minutes, it is all I got in me.

I dont like to work out but under the circumstances, it is necessary. I can accept that and honestly, it is not all that bad. I get to put the kiddos in the child care area at the YMCA, plug into my mp3 and listen to some tunes. I get to be ALONE. It helps that the Y has little flat panel tv's at all the machines. So, I have failed at committing to working out before so this time I decided to do it differently. I only do 30 minutes. Granted, I go more often and I total about 3 hours a week at the gym but I only 'make' myself commit to 30 minutes. I actually look forward to it.

I dont like to work out but under the circumstances, it is necessary. I can accept that and honestly, it is not all that bad. I get to put the kiddos in the child care area at the YMCA, plug into my mp3 and listen to some tunes. I get to be ALONE. It helps that the Y has little flat panel tv's at all the machines. So, I have failed at committing to working out before so this time I decided to do it differently. I only do 30 minutes. Granted, I go more often and I total about 3 hours a week at the gym but I only 'make' myself commit to 30 minutes. I actually look forward to it.

Gingerbug

That's great:thumbup: - small steps that's how I started :Dancing_biggrin:

30 mins 9 months ago and now I have a trainer 2 x week and then do cardio for 1 hr 2 x week. Can't say I am a gym rat -but I do feel so much better after I exercise.

Keep up the good work...:glare:

Yep, absolutely, I find LESS is more!!

Every time I start getting REALLY excited about working out and think I'll add on more days, I remember that every time I do that, I burn myself out and start mentally making excuses not to go!

When I started Curves five years ago, there were women who were going five and six days a week for the first few months--:glare: then suddenly we didn't see them at all anymore--they got burnt!! (I'm now two days at Curves and two days at the YMCA--and if I have to miss, I don't sweat it anymore!)

Keep right where you are and you'll move ahead when you want to! :Dancing_biggrin:

for me i find the 30min rule works really well when i dont' want to go to the gym or workout. i tell myself that all i have to do is 30 min, and lets face it 30min goes by really fast!! so i will either go on a walk, and once i start walking i usually go longer, or i will hop on the treadmill in front of my tv (my $40 craigslist buy!) and watch 30 min worth of tv. this little trick usually works pretty well for me. :glare:

I am pretty happy so far and it seems to be working. Today I plan to do two 30 minutes sets, one weights and one cardio. I had sick kids the last two days and i need a break from them and this is it. A whole hour to myself. LOL. It is easier to go in for an hour when it is a choice, not something I mandated myself to do in the beginning.

Where does everyone get their energy? I can only stay on the thread mill for 15 minutes and I am so tired... whats your secret???

I honestly find the treadmill to be very B-O-R-I-N-G!!! I had to do it for a year when we first moved here and no gym was open, but thank goodness for the television my husband hooked up in front of it!!

I had started at 15-20 minutes and just kept increasing until after the year I was doing 45-50 minutes.

Now that I have Curves and the YMCA, it's just so interesting to vary the workouts--and I think that's the key: changing it up!

If you have the opportunity, laniayala, visit a Curves near you--believe me, you won't regret it! :thumbup:

Where does everyone get their energy? I can only stay on the thread mill for 15 minutes and I am so tired... whats your secret???

laniayala

Am I getting this right you are 38 and 127 and can't do 15 minutes on the treadmill??

Are you eating properly??? What speed are you walking at &/or incline?

I could only do 15 - 20 minutes when I 1st started and weighed 250 but now I do 1 hr 3 miles varies between 3.0 to 4.0 speed and inclines 1 to 6

and I'm 164 lbs 53 yrs old and smoke.. - I listen to my Ipod and jam to my tunes as I walk - heck I even jogged/ran for a 1/4 mile yesterday..

I would ck w/your doctor - cuz in my unlicensed doctor opinion I think you should be able to do more that 15 mins..

If you are lacking energy you may want to check out the book 'Tired of being Tired' or 'From Fatigued to Fantastic'. these books talk a lot about adrenal burn out and give you ideas to build up your energy naturally and easily.

laniayala

Am I getting this right you are 38 and 127 and can't do 15 minutes on the treadmill??

Are you eating properly??? What speed are you walking at &/or incline?

I could only do 15 - 20 minutes when I 1st started and weighed 250 but now I do 1 hr 3 miles varies between 3.0 to 4.0 speed and inclines 1 to 6

and I'm 164 lbs 53 yrs old and smoke.. - I listen to my Ipod and jam to my tunes as I walk - heck I even jogged/ran for a 1/4 mile yesterday..

I would ck w/your doctor - cuz in my unlicensed doctor opinion I think you should be able to do more that 15 mins..

They wouldn't do our surgery unless we quit smoking six weeks prior to surgery, I guess they're all different.

wow Indigogirl55, you are sooo close to your goal weight. Congratulations! You go Girl!!!

Thanks Mariah - Just goes to show you that if you do the work that is required the band does work - even for an old fart like me :thumbup:

They wouldn't do our surgery unless we quit smoking six weeks prior to surgery, I guess they're all different.

I have been banded for 9 months - ya I had to quit before surgery too

What's the Doc goint to do to come and take the band out cuz I went back to smoking - there are a few of us here who still smoke.

Hey I was a carton a week smoker so I know what it's like. Half the reason why I'm fat today is because I quit smoking years ago. My daughter had picked up the habit and is going to get the surgery and had to quit too but I think they also said smoking is harder on you after you've had surgery. It's like not taking ibuprofen it's a similar situation I think. But I know how hard it is to deal with weight issues and smoking and I'm not trying to be a lecturer to you. Sorry if I offended didn't mean to, brandyII.

Hey I was a carton a week smoker so I know what it's like. Half the reason why I'm fat today is because I quit smoking years ago. My daughter had picked up the habit and is going to get the surgery and had to quit too but I think they also said smoking is harder on you after you've had surgery. It's like not taking ibuprofen it's a similar situation I think. But I know how hard it is to deal with weight issues and smoking and I'm not trying to be a lecturer to you. Sorry if I offended didn't mean to, brandyII.

No offense taken Brandy..

Yep I still smoke - but it's about 1/2 pack a day - so I am not a full fledge addict - just a part timer - you know like - Oh I am not an alcoholic cuz I only drink beer and not the hard stuff - Yep justifications - denial - but I still enjoy it... I will quit one of these days..