Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My boyfriend found this site for me....he's helping me research the lap-band, tho in my mind i already want this. I've been wanting to do something like this for a very long time. But i'll admit, this site overwhelms me! I want to be able to just go, have it done have my insurance cover it and Viola - be on the way to a new me...lol....but apparently there is a whole bunch of stuff i have to go through first - and that soooo puzzles me. Understand going to the seminar to find out about the process..and the doctor/surgery consult..and the insurance stuff. But nutrition classes and such???? It truly takes months to get this all going???? Sigh.

I've waited so long to make this decision..i've tried diet after diet..i know what "good nutrition" is...just havent been able to be successful in it in my years of dieting!

I guess i'm looking for encouragement..and some help in navigating the SLEW of info on this site.

I turned 50 last November. I'm sooo ready for my life to change. I'm divorced 2 years after a 27 year marriage. I NEED this for me. I also NEED for my insurance to cover this! I cannot afford to pay this on my own...am i foolish to think they'll cover it? I have high blood pressure and diabetes (type 2) both medically controlled. I can't help but think if i dropped 100 lbs. i would be sooo much better, plus the strain on my heart would be less.

I have two daughters (6/12)..i need to be around for them.

I know this is alot...i just feel hopeful in this process..and disappointed that it looks like it will be a lenghty process just to try to get approved.

Words of wisdom welcome!!!

Bobbie

Welcome, Bobbie.

It sounds like you meet the requirements of most insurance companies. However, some carriers don't cover any weightloss surgeries...so, your first call should be to your insurance company and ask if they cover lapband surgery. Then, you'll want to ask them for a run down of their requirements. Because you have diabetes and high blood pressure, you have a better chance of getting approved.

It took me six months from my first seminar until the time that I got scheduled for my surgery (April 30!!), but it could have gone a lot faster if my travel schedule for work would have been different.

Good luck to you! Things will be much more clear for you after you make that phone call to your insurance company :)

thanks for the advise..i did email my insurance company and they did say something about covering surgeries of this type with primary physicians recommendation or such...which might be an issue. At one time my doctor told me he would not recommend me for gastric bypass. He doesnt "beleive" in that surgery..however, i have not asked about the lap-band, which i see as much less evasive. Plus, its been a couple of years now and obviously nothing is working with me trying to lose on my own. Heck, i've been dieting since i was 15...so...if it hasnt worked in all that time.you cant say i havent tried!

i will call tho, just to see about this specific procedure...i wonder...should i attend the seminar and have the doctor consult before discussing with my primary physician?????

Opinions on the surgery have changed over the last few years. Perhaps your PCP has reconsidered. Otherwise, there are probably lots of docs in the area who are more "fat friendly."

I went to my PCP first -- asked if she thought I would be a good candidate. She asked me if I had a surgeon in mind, confirmed that I made a good choice -- but in the long-term, I don't think it matters too much if you go to the seminar first. Whichever is more convenient for you.

Welcome to LBT!

When I decided to have the lap band done I was very discouraged at all of the things that I had to do before they would let me have it. I felt like "I finally decided to do this, and now they won't let me!" I did finish the nutrition class and we also had a class to do called Behavior Change--this made a huge difference with the way I "use" my band. You really have to slow down when you eat, take way smaller bites and chew, chew, chew. One of the hardest things for me to accomplish with this class was to NOT drink while I was eating. Now, I know why they made us practice all of these things. They also talked about WHY we eat like we do. It was very informative and had I not gone to those classes, I am sure that I would have had a lot of trouble and not been able to use my band as well as I have! If you have any questions, just ask!

Trish:smile:

Hi Bobbie. I am 47 years old and live in Orange

County, Ca. All insurance companies are different. For me, it has been very easy. I went to a seminar in Dec., and than went to my PCP. My doctors are in a group so I made sure I saw one that I thought would be more sympathetic to my situation. She gave me a referrel for my insurance to approved and it was approved in January, less than a month later. I could have scheduled the surgery in Febuary, but I've been a little chicken so now I'm scheduled for April 28th. I'm nervous about all the changes I'll have to make, but I know this is the only way that I'll be able to keep my weight off. Also, my insurance (So Cal Blue Cross) is paying for everything. Good luck to you and let us know about your journey.

Hello Bobbie,

I know the hospital I went to for surgery had insurance people who worked with you on getting your insurance approved. In fact, I didn't have to deal with them at all. My financial rep that was assigned to me handled it all. Then she e-mailed me one day and said, "youre approved, now make an appointment with the surgeon." It was easy as that. They did require a psych eval but that only took a few hours at one appointment. We are not required to see take nutriional classe. They have a nutritionist on staff at the surgeons office and you stop in to see her at your scheduled follow-up visits. An exercise pysiologist as well is on staff to help you with activities that will assist with the band(tool) I had the band a month ago today and have lost 20 lbs. It is an awesome tool and I see it changing my life! don't give up, keep getting documantaion from your PCP about your health problems and submit to the insurnace co. I will keep u in my prayers.

Hi Bobbie,

This is a great site, but you're right it can be overwhelming. I got my new Blue Cross insurance book in Dec (07) and it had the lap-band added as an approved procedure. I immediately called and went to the next available seminar in Chattanooga, as I had been researching lap band, gastric sleeve, and gastric bypass. So, seminar in mid-Dec, consult with doctor first week in Jan, insurance approval end of Jan. They were ready to do my surgery in Feb, but I wanted to wait til I had vacation time in March. Depending on the doctor's requirements, you have to go to a nutrition class (mine was 2 hours one visit), talk to a counselor (to make sure you have no history of eating disorders, serious mental issues, etc). You also have to have pre-op tests in the two weeks prior to surgery. I did the nutrition class, counselor visit and pre-op three days before surgery, all at once. It can happen pretty quick, especially once your insurance approves. My health issues were borderline diabetes, borderline high blood pressure, history of weight loss attempts, and BMI of 40. You sound like a good candidate, so do your homework, post on this site for people in your area to recommend the best doctors, get your referral letter from your primary care physician (just has to recommend losing weight for health benefit, not necessarily recommending surgery), go to a seminar in your area, and go for it. I had my surgery March 20, lost 14 pounds pretty quick, and go for my first fill April 22. I would recommend taking more than 1 week off from work (like I did). 2 would be better for sure. Follow the doctors lifting restrictions, and watch the twisting and reaching as well. I had a lot of discomfort because of reaching in my job, even though I was very careful about the weight limits to lifting. Good luck!

thank you all for your replies..i guess i feel a little better realizing that it CAN go a little faster too..not just "slow"....i know my PCP was dead set against gastric bypass, but I'm going to another doctor in that group and she might more easily be open to this procedure. I'm going to post a thread asking for doctor recommendations in my area. I came across a website and the doctors work out of a hospital I'm familiar with that isnt too far, so that is the way i was heading, but i guess it doesnt hurt to post a thread...

I will be definately pouring through this site...you have all been so helpful, thank you!