Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any advice?

Hey everyone! (Sorry, I'm a newbie, so bear with me here :tongue_smilie: !!)

I've recently been interested in getting the lap band procedure done for obvious reasons (253 lbs, 42 bmi, waaay too many failed diets, etc). The physician's assistant at the last diet-doctor place I was at (not my primary care physician) told me that people at my weight range/bmi range are usually recommended for bariatric surgery.

Well, since then, I've been doing thorough research on the topic (risks, qualifications, advantages, disadvantages, etc), and after looking at all the information I can find, I truly feel that the Lap Band procedure will be the right thing to do for my current/future health and self-esteem. However, I have one TINY obstacle: my parents.

Although neither of them have outright said no, they said that my will-power isn't strong enough as it is, and that I should try losing weight "naturally" before even thinking of resorting to such "drastic measures".... and then proceed to change the subject (As mentioned before, I've tried nearly every diet under the sun WITH lots of exercise... and no good/permanent results). Before I brought up the topic, I made sure that the insurance would cover such a surgery, so money doesn't seem to be an issue... (except for the fact that its controlled by my parents)....

What should I do? I REALLY want to get this done as early as possible, because I'm tired of all of the negatives being morbidly obese... :lol:

But with my parents in charge of the insurance... I don't know how I can...

(oh, btw, I'm 17 right now, and I'll be 18 in september...)

Thanks in advance!!

there is a REALLY informative video on Home its easy to follow and they really make it seem like its not a big deal even if it is surgery. i dont know i havent been banded yet I'm working on it though but that video made me feel more comfortable with it. maybe it will help do the same for your parents.

I know the clinic I went to ran seminar/information evenings, and everyone was welcome. Do you think you could invite your parents to attend something like that, or visit Doctor with you? Perhaps their reluctance is based on fear or lack of understanding.

The thing that finalised my decision was hearing that only about 2% of people whose BMI is over 40 can lose weight by diet and exercise and keep it off forever.

I agree with Luscious. If you can convince your parents to attend a seminar, then your doctor can convince your parents that LapBand is safe & an amazing tool.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches