Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new girl on the block

Hi,

I am really trying to figure out if the lap band is for me. I am 5'11 and weight 319...that was difficult to write. I am a mom, wife, working full time out side the home and I am 44 years old. My sister died 5 years ago due to complications of obesity. I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure, I am experiencing lots of jt pain, difficulty sleeping (no apnea), I hate myself because of my weight but I cont to slowly pack on more pounds. I have 3 sons 15, 9, and 4 and I want to live to see them grow up, but even more I want to be a more active part of their lives. Was it worth it to everyone, are the side effects bad, how do you all manage the emotional part of not eating. I mean I know you have to go through something when you go from overeating and medicating yourself with food to not being able to do that.

Hi! I was banded April 14. One of the best things I ever done for MYSELF. Yes, it was worth it. I watched my mother pass away on March 30 of last year due to diabetes, hypertension, obesity and COPD. I made a decision then to drop 100 pounds by my 63rd birthday. I am 61.5 years old. Go for it. It is well worth it.

Sassy - I used to feel the same way about myself that you do. And I have to tell you that getting the band was one of the best things I have ever done, and has definately given me my life back.

One of the things I had to do before surgery was a 7 day clear liquid diet, and that by far was the hardest part of my journey. My first 2 days were really rough because eating was more of a habit for me, i felt so lost without food. food was my drug, and suddenly I was without it. I was having a hard time accepting that food wasn't priority, not to mention I hadn't felt my stomach growl in years, and it took 3 days or so for it to finally start growling. (FYI - Not all doctors require the liquid diet before surgery.) That was pretty much the extent of my emotional feelings with food.

I wish you the best of luck, this site is the one of the best ways to prepare yourself and research banding. It has helped me tremendously over the last 3 months!

Good luck, keep us posted!

sassygal,

I had the lap band done in august of 2008 and have not been as successful as most of the people here. Just be aware that there are certain foods that will still go down fairly easily (sliders) with the lap band. Some of those foods are, pretty much anything liquid, ice cream and chocolate, tends to just melt. I can eat Cookies because they're usually very crispy, I've been able to eat most sweets except for donuts because I don't tolerate doughy type foods like breads.

A lot of people don't have those issues with food, (sweets) I have some diabetes issues so that maybe why I still have problems with my "sweet tooth".

Of course if you are compliant on the band you are given instructions of what you are to eat and what you are to avoid but certain foods are difficult to eat and have to be chewed very well before they can go through the band, mainly Proteins. Of course we all need Protein to be healthy and don't need chocolate or ice cream.

I didn't know before surgery that I would still be able to eat a lot of the junk I had eaten before surgery. So I just like people to be aware because if I wasn't aware then maybe someone else isn't be either.

Anyway read as much as you can on the subject, my daughter is over 350lbs and is six feet tall and is going to get the gastric bypass surgery next month and it was suggested she pick up the book "Weightloss Surgery for Dummies". It gives you some info on lap bands but it mainly focuses on the gastric bypass surgery. There are a lot of sites out there offering info and talk with a doctor about it. I like to write down questions before I go so I don't forget and make sure I get everything out there.

Anyway, don't mean to be a storm cloud but I feel it's good to know as much info prior to making such a major decision in your life.

Good luck to you, and don't be so down on yourself, we're all here for the same reason and you're not alone! Take care brandyII.

Hi Sassygal, Every one has lots of anxiety before they have the Lap Band. I don't think you would be human not to. I was banded on the 16th January08. I have always been a slow loser with weight but I am so happy it is coming off. I seem to be losing a kilo a week. I can still eat almost any thing. I think you have to be positive about trying foods that aren't soft. My dietician wants me to have a variety. I still eat 3 maels a day and maybe a couple of Snacks, somedays more than others. This is what they want me to do to keep metabolism working. You will find that you will start to do more with your kids and the more you do the more you will want to do. Exercise becomes easier and more enjoyable when you see that it is finally working in making you feel healthier and the weight starts to come off. Good luck with what you decide. You will find a lot of support on the forums. They were my life line before I was done. All the best.

Saleel22

Edited by saleel22

Welcome Sassy! I just decided to try and have the surgery done with insurance pay. I'm scared to death, but I'm still going to pursue this route. I've been obese for 24 years. On March 6th I was there when my dear friend died from complications of obesity - COPD, high blood pressure, sleep apnea and diabetes. She was one month short of turning 66. I will be 55 on Thursday and even though I might have a long wait and fight to obtain this "tool", I'm up for the fight! You will never regret being there for your children. My daughter who is 23 is thrilled that I'm starting this journey. Good Luck!

Like everyone else who has responded to your question, I am really happy with my decision to have the LP. I started this process at 232 and I am 5'2. Like you, I hated saying that number. Just over 6 weeks post op, I am down almost 25 pounds and people are starting to notice.

I feel so much better already. I will also tell you that something in my brain just switched. I don't know if it was the time investment or the $, but I am completely on board with this new way of life. I think that helps with being happy with the decision.

One of the things I did during my 6 month insurance required supervised diet was to read through the many of the different sections. Exercise fitness, complications, pre and post surgery - just to see what other people were going through. Again, for me I think it helped me be more prepared for what was to come.

And congrats on really considering this. I think the more thought you put into it, the better off you will be. It is as much about our heads as it it is our stomachs. Feel free to email if you have other questions.

hey sweetie i understand how hard it was to type that. just know we are all here for u to go through every step of the process with you. god bless u hun for taking the first step into getting healthier.

Edited by moonandstarzz

Thanks everybody for your encouragement. I guess the hardest part is admitting that I have not been able to do this "on my own" and the fear of how changing my relationship with food will change my whole life. Does that sound too 'weird'? I am trying to prepare myself for the "mental" aspect of doing this. I want to "live" a great life with my family. I guess my problem right now is knowing that enjoying "food" , going out, barbques, family dinners are a joyful part of everyones life fat or thin. How does the band change all that. Does that make sense at all or do I just sound like someone obsessed with food :rolleyes:at the cost of good sense!

Sassygal you will eventually be able to enjoy all that just in a modified way. Your right having to change the way you think about food. That too was my problem and still is. I figure I had such a big thing as the lap band done and I figure its my second chance to have a real life and getting to like myself and be a better person for me and my family. I am honestly wiping my slate clean and starting over. I am also going to seek support groups in person to help. This forum is good however talking face to face w/people can be a great help. Good luck w/everything. As for my self I was banded April 16 and I'm so excited to my new life change.

You will definately still be able to go out to eat, go to bbq's etc... You will just be doing it a little differently after the band, meaning you will be eating less and healthier. You learn along the way what kinds of different foods you can tolerate and those you can't. So far I can still eat pretty much everything I did before as long as I chew, chew, chew! Your life won't stop after banding, it will just be getting re-started!

And you are right one of the hardest things is admitting you cant do it on your own..So you have already taken a very important step!!

Welcome Sassy....you're doing the right thing by posting here, reading and becoming an informed patient.

Have you been to your physician yet? You also might want to consider going for therapy to talk about the emotional connections that so many of us have with food.

Best of luck to you in your search for answers..

sassygal,

I think those are normal things people think about prior to surgery but once you get the ball rolling and talk to a doctor and things start rolling towards the big day you will be flying high and so excited about the whole thing. Things will start to fall into place once you start the process.

Everyone's situation is different when it comes to insurance or self-pay but for me I had to get a referral from my general practitioner so that was the start for me, meeting with him. Then my surgeon has a large orientation every month for both types of surgeries, then after I went to that and listened to everything there I met with the surgeon on another day to discuss any questions I had.

They then set me up with many different tests that were done in the hospital or at the office and finally a liquid diet which I went on for about a month prior to surgery. Not everyone's surgeon requires this so there are so many variables in everyone's situation prior to surgery.

It's not like food and festivities are gone forever and like I said in my earlier post there are those foods, like at certain holidays that made it difficult for me and I ate them! Everyone has different coping mechanisms for dealing with this whether it's emotional eating or pms'ng or whatever, they also call it "head hunger". You will learn your own coping skills. Also I was pre-screened by a psychiatrist of the surgeon's picking and I think a lot of people go through that also.

Anyway start researching weight loss surgeons in your area and/or speak to your regular doctor who may have suggestions for you as well.

Good luck brandyII.

Sassy,

I felt like weight loss surgery was my only option. Even with that said a lot went into my decision. I researched gastric bypass and lapband and my husband and I prayed over the decision. I felt a real peace about having the surgery.

I did go into the surgery a little ignorant as to how much it was going to require my discipline. All along I read that it is only a tool. My dr. told me, friends told me, the support group told me but I think I still thought it would be easy. It is a tool!!!!!! As an earlier poster said, you can drink calories, eat cake, Cookies and ice cream goes down easy! I really am on an eating plan. I have to choose high Protein, low fat foods. I have to stop eating when I am full and I have to exercise. The good news is I get full and I can stop eating. The more I lose the easier it is to take a walk.

I, thankfully, have had no complications. I had gas after surgery but now I am going on 4 weeks post op and down close to 30 lbs. I agree the pre op diet was difficult but I wasn't hungry. I JUST WANTED TO EAT! I realized that as soon as I am done eating I am excited about my next meal. I am grateful I started dealing with that issue before surgery and not after when I was trying to heal and deal with the pain of surgery.

I hope that you make an informed decision and good luck to you!

Hi I am currently waiting to have my band. I read the book weight loss for dummies but it didn't contain much about the lap band. I found the book Weight loss surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band by Robert Sewell I found it helpful. It is a new release so the information is upto date. I hope this will help you on your journey also. Good Luck