Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 5/2 and SCARED, don't know why?

Hi everyone, I am scheduled for surgery 5/2 and for some reason find myself panicked! I have been having stomach problems since I found out and I really don't know why. I have researched this for 2 years and know this is the way to go. I know I have got to get this weight off and yet, the past 2 days I have been in an almost constant state of panic.

I want to have this done, I'm ready and want to do it. I guess maybe part of the reason I'm panicked is that I will be having the surgery in a different state from the one I live in. I've had surgeries before so I know it's not that, I guess it's just the idea of being so far from home. Am I just being a big baby??? I know this is life changing and I am more than ready for the change. I just don't get it. Any of you experienced this? I'd appreciate a pep talk or two! Thanks. This site has been so informative and helpful to me, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your comments/suggestions.:rolleyes2:

congrats..and don't worry yourself sick i am scheduled for may 5th so we will be close in dates..for some reason i have no fear ..none! i want this weight off and will do anything to do it. I just want the surgery to be over with so i can get started. I sure going away from home might be difficult but it will all be worth it in the end.

The closer my surgery got, the more I second guessed myself. I poured over all the information and thought OMG!!!!!! What am I doing??????? Right up until they put me out, I was ready to walk out of the hospital. Now, I would do it over. It will be worth it. Even if you cry right up to the minute(I did), you will be glad you did it. Good luck

4 weeks post surg and physically I dont even feel like I had anything done. The recovery was rough for just about 3 days after surg. It is a very important decision though, it is forever, but you sound like you have researched it a lot and yes, this site is amazing, keep reading and you will lears something new everyday.

Keep up the fight and you will do great!!

weight.png

Edited by ronnfia
wrong ticker address

You guys are so GREAT! I feel better having your support and advice. I know this is the best thing for me, just panicking a little. This forum is so helpful - not sure I would have half the information I have without it, especially all of the comforting support. Thanks again. You are all invaluable!

Last night I started thinking about my upcoming banding and started crying hystericaly out of nowhere. I've been very emotional thinking about it. I think alot of poeple experience this. Your going through a major change. But i keep thinking its a postive change thats going to make my life even better. Good luck!

I feel your FEAR. I've been researching and going thru the process for several months, but until I had a surgery date, the only thing I 'feared' was not getting Insurance approval.

You'll get thru it -- it's just the BEGINNING of the biggest change of our lives. We're here to encourage and support each other. You're not alone no matter how far you are from home!

Good luck to you!!

I am so glad to hear that I am not alone. My surgery is April 21!!! This monday!!!!!!!! I have been ok up until this week. My husband (who was supposed to get the band first but when going through testing for the band they found Cancer. They operated and they say he is ok now, just has to get another body scan in 6 months to make sure) keeps saying that I have been a little crabby and keeps asking if I want to back out. I DON'T. But I am terrified I guess because its forever. I am so ready to be thin and healthy forever but also scared to death. I thought I was crazy, so glad to see I am not alone. I believe we can all do this and its going to be an amazing scary wonderful ride. Good Luck to all of you.

Everyone who has been or will be banded knows your fear. I am scared but at the same time very calm about my surgery coming up. I am not scared of the procedure itself but of some crazy reaction to the meds they will give me. All you can do is just take a deep breath and tell yourself you will be ok :thumbup:

Hello,

My date is May 22. Yes I think its normal to be a bit afraid of change. And this is going to be a BIG change. I'm not afraid of the surgery it self. But wondering what my new life will be like. After all I will have to face this new life change with out my old reliable comforting friend food.

I feel like I am almost going through a divorce. Every Doctors visit, every medical test, every support group meeting separates me from my "OLD" friend. And my surgery date will be the ending of a long not so wonderfull marriage. But when you close one door another opens. And I just keep focused on the NEW relationship I will be having.. LIFE after surgery. Hope this helps.

I was very anxious the day of my surgery, and the recovery was made easier by the great staff at Kaiser Hospital in Fremont Ca.

My surgery was 4 weeks ago and looking back it's hard to even believe I had major surgery. I am totally healed and in no pain whatsoever from the surgery.

The actual procedure was not the first step, the first step was the commitment to better my life. The pre-op diet was a learning experience and then the surgery made me understand what the eating plan was all about. Liike I have said, I havent had a fill yet but just knowing I have the device in me helps to eat better. I know I still need the fill to help me re-learn what being "full" feels like. Yes it is a life long commitment and we will have our bands hopefully for a very long time.

We will all be thinner, but more importantly healthier!!!

I'm not afraid of the surgery it self. But wondering what my new life will be like. After all I will have to face this new life change with out my old reliable comforting friend food.

I feel like I am almost going through a divorce. Every Doctors visit, every medical test, every support group meeting separates me from my "OLD" friend. And my surgery date will be the ending of a long not so wonderfull marriage. But when you close one door another opens. And I just keep focused on the NEW relationship I will be having.. LIFE after surgery. Hope this helps.

Exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself.

THANK YOU!! :thumbup:

Pitter, you have every right to be nervous. This surgery will alter a part of your life (if you follow the rules) that has been a comfort and friend to you for a long time. Most of us that are obese are having to say goodbye to the amounts of foods we have enjoyed for a long time. You are undergoing a change to your life, even though it is for the better, and sometimes change makes us nervous. Try to stay busy with some Spring projects and it will help take your mind of of the surgery. I was ready too, but still nervous. Now, even though I have been a slow loser, and very glad I did it. Everything will be fine. You are on your way to a happier, healthier you. Good luck.

This will be hard, but the less you concentrate on the surgery itself, the less you'll worry(maybe). I read those menus and stuff until midnight the night before, and found myself wondering how in the heck could I do this? My main concern was I convinced myself I was going to die, and what would happen to my daughter. Everyone I work with had been re-assuring me that all would be fine;but I had turned myself into a basket case. While waiting to go into surgery, I texted a co-worker with explicit directions on what to do if I "croaked"(exact word:redface:). gave her phone numbers to call for someone to get my daughter, what to do with my paychecks, etc....She thought it was hilarious, and told everyone(I agree it was). Despite all your worries and imagining the worst, you'll soon be over the discomfort, and you'll feel as if you never had the surgery. It will all be worth it when you start seeing the difference in the mirror, and start receiving comments from people. As much as I made myself crazy, I knew in my heart I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE, and needed to have the surgery, even if it DID kill me. I did it for my daughter more than for myself. She needs a mother to be with her as she grows, and having lost mine when I was 13, I knew I couldn't do the same to her. There are far too many reasons to HAVE the surgery, as opposed to not. Cry, scream, worry till you've got it all out, then plan for your new life! You will do GREAT!!:tt1: