Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I do not know what I am asking for here...

I read a thread.... and now I am completely, totally, and utterly panicked about my surgery.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f18/hi-everyone-i-think-i-ll-contrarian-voice-here-58983/#post804331

Please tell me, does anyone know the hard statistics of something really bad happening? Not the things that can be fixed through removal or adjustment, but the death percentages and messing up your organs stuff?

I'm sorry, it's just... I'm not really brave about medical stuff. I'm shaking here... surgery is on the horizon (May 9th), and I am inches away from cancelling it because I can barely breathe from the fear. I need this surgery to save my life. But fat is a slow death, my insides getting all twisted up has got to be pretty imminent and painful.

I don't know any of the facts about deaths, ect... I think I read the same thing you read and it has scared me too!! I guess there are always risks with surgery and it is a chance you have to be willing to take...... My surgery is April 22 and I am sooooooo scared but I need this to get me healthy! I am trying to look at all the positives and roll with the punches:) Don't back out, I think it will be worth it.

Honestly Nicole, from what I have read (and that is a LOT), I don't think you have as much to worry about as this poster seems to want us to believe. Is there risk of complications with this surgery? Yes, just like there is with any other surgical procedure. I don't think there is a single one of us going into this who doesn't know that. My doctor and his staff have repeatedly told me that and I would think others do as well.

If it would make you feel better, call your doctor. Ask them what sort of complications their patients have experienced. My surgeon's office was very upfront with that information. If you trust your surgeon and believe the surgery would be the best thing for your health, then go for it! I can't see where the surgery would be any more risky than continuing to be obese and to gain more weight.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I called my Doctor and cried to him a little bit. I am so glad I switched Doctors because he took the time to talk to me. He said in over 1000 lap band surgeries, he has had no deaths, 2 slippages, and 1 erosion. I feel a bit better. $25,000 or not, I <3 my Doctor.

Good for you :crying:)

The statistics are grossly on your side. When I got nervous pre-op, I spent hours going through the B&A thread.

You have more of a chance from dying from your current condition than from surgery. You will go to sleep and wake up and it will be all over with. Trust me because I have had the surgery. You will be sore for a week or so, but the benefits and the years you will add on to your life and the improvement of the quality of life you will have.....there must be no question....you need the surgery. Get out of your head and quit thinking about it.....you are doind the right thing

I'm glad you're feeling better, Nicole.

Without commenting too much on that other thread, I think you did the right thing by calling your doctor and getting real information that you can use rather than something sensational posted on a message board.

Good luck to you.

-Christine

I think the thread you read, is a poster searching for something----not sure what to call it besides attention.

My take on it is--he has been over 300 pounds overweight for so long, he is used to negative attention. He was banded, he DID NOT follow a post op diet--mistake #1. He did not apparently return to the Dr. at the first sign of trouble or it would not have burrowed into any part of him--mistake #2.

This list could go on------but there is really no sense in it. YOU have some control. You chose a Dr-------then it sounds like you changed to one more in tune with you! GREAT!! Now when you have your surgery--it IS going to be hard sometimes to stick to that post op diet--but it is there for a reason---one of them being to reduce complications!!! Follow your surgeons directions explicitly!

Complications such as the poster over on the other thread mentioned are so few and far between as to not even have statistics on them! The problem is, when he sues--and makes his infamous talk show tours------the band will get the bad rap----how much you wanna bet he glosses right over shoving massive amounts in a week after banding! It boggles my mind that someone purposely comes around to upset people because they themselves screwed up.

Morbid obesity is a proven killer! You are slowly killing yourself every day that your blood pressure or cholesterol is high! Yes there are some issues with being banded. Sometimes patients have problems eating some foods---I personally don't but it happens. I can tell you I have learned amazing things from this band. It picked me up out of my horrid eating habits, made me stop, and set me back down in a new frame of mind when it comes to food. Do I still occasionally want to eat from emotional triggers? Oh yeah! But by far and large, I have learned huge amounts of information, on Portion Control, and nutrition---and had the band to help me through the hunger, and the need to overeat.

I hope you do not let one unhappy person, looking for recognition throw you off course. He couldn't do it, and I see him as someone who dislikes others doing what he could not.

Good Luck....please read those things but also read between the lines----look for the missing links----did you see where he said he ate all that a week out? Lights flashed in my mind!

When you get the doubting Thomas' of the world--dig a little they will usually show you why they are trying to rain on your parade!!!

Hugs~

Kat

I have everything done and am scheduled for surgery on May 5th, after being on the diet roller coster all my life I can follow a plan and stick to it but I'm so afraid something funky will go wrong and I will be one of the few it doesn't work for, have many non-phat friends and no one really understands, just found this web site it is very encouraging. Fear is my friend also but I'll push on and pray. I know how you feel.

Sheemac

Well said Kat. I know I was scared when I read the complications section before I was banded but in the end the statistics showed that the success stories far outweighed the complications so I said to myself that I would have to be very unlucky to be a bad statistic so I took a deep breath and just went for it ... lucky I was right !! :rolleyes2:

I'm looking into the Lap Band/Gastric Bypass for myself. Trying to decide which to do, and who to do it. Also wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I lean toward the Lap Band....but am afraid I'm too heavy for that, or am I? How likely will I be to keep it off...what am I gonna do with skin afterward....how long I'll be off work, is this a realistic thing to do? How will it be different than any other "diet" I've ever tried and didn't succeed at keeping the weight off......lots of what if's, .......i know that "if" a frog had a pistol, he wouldn't be afraid of a snake.....nervous, anxious.....stressed.......fat!!!!!

I'm looking into the Lap Band/Gastric Bypass for myself. Trying to decide which to do, and who to do it. Also wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I lean toward the Lap Band....but am afraid I'm too heavy for that, or am I? How likely will I be to keep it off...what am I gonna do with skin afterward....how long I'll be off work, is this a realistic thing to do? How will it be different than any other "diet" I've ever tried and didn't succeed at keeping the weight off......lots of what if's, .......i know that "if" a frog had a pistol, he wouldn't be afraid of a snake.....nervous, anxious.....stressed.......fat!!!!!

We were all in your shoes at one point or another!! First step is to find out if insurance will cover you, and if so, who they cover as far as surgeons. Then take some time, research them, attend the seminars offered. Most will discuss multiple WLS options.

Some Dr.'s do have a BMI cutoff--you do not mention how much weight you want to lose, or what your BMI is, so I have no idea if you might fall into that category or not. I have read of bandsters with BMI's of 60 before.

How will it be different from any other diet? Oh the differences are HUGE!! It is a TOOL---as I am sure you have heard! I will compare the differences like this----If I sent you to the backyard to dig a hole---you could do it....you might scuff the earth with your foot, then begin scraping away the dirt by the handfulls....slowing when you hit a rock, or hard earth----you could do it---but it would be a difficult and at times impossible seeming job.

Now, if I gave you a TOOL---say a shovel, or a pick. There might still be rocks, and hard earth, but digging the hole would be possible! It would give you power to wield the shovel!

The hole is your weightloss, the band your shovel. It makes a hard job easier. If you simply lay the shovel down, it is not going to do anything....if you don't work with your band it will do nothing much. BUT----working together, amazing things can be accomplished!!!!!!

My band has given me control back! I personally opt not to have seriously tight restriction. I work my band more on a hunger control level. I used to walk in the house and be ravenous! I grabbed a bag of chips or Cookies, and started shoveling them in! I went for quantity over quality! I ate huge amounts of food! When I went out I ordered with that in mind--what would be enough?!

Since my band, I have had 2 fills, and have a nice level of restriction that allows me to eat all foods, but in much, much smaller quantities. I no longer experience much hunger, if any. When I eat, I do it with thought behind it. I know I have a much smaller pouch to fill---and I must fit proper nutrition in, in the smaller place. So with that in mind, and since I am not starving half to death, I can throw a small salad together, or make a meat/cheese roll up....make a wise choice of what to eat, instead of just grabbing something to fill the hollow stomach!

When you are banded you chew your food thoroughly....and it allows you to develop a new understanding of food.. Highly processed foods, do not break down pretty when you chew them that much!!! I took a bite of my granddaughters Little Debbie snack--yuck---I began chewing and it felt like a mouth full of lard!!! You learn to appreciate fresh, quality foods....which in turn are better for you!

As you begin dropping the weight, you find yourself able to do things you have not done in a long time, and enjoying them. I probably did not exercise in any manner the first 50 pounds or so, then I found myself enjoying the walks we took, and looking for ways to increase my improving health!!

I went into banding on several prescription medications for high blood pressure, high blood sugar, joint pain, high cholesterol----now my blood work, and my blood pressure are all in a normal range, I no longer take a single prescription medication!!!

DFLIPPO---do some research---this might be your pistol to protect you from that snake!!

Kat

I have researched both and I also am a nurse. I myself do not and have never wanted the bypass surgery, my own personal belief. I know people that have done well and people that have done not so well. I was in the process of a packet to be approved for my insurance when I was approved. I 1st attened a seminar in Albany,Ga by Dr Bagnato and would have like for him to do my band but he does not take my insurance. I am in Dothan Alabama and Dr. Scott Robbins will be doing my band. He is new to the lap band but has been doing bypasses for years and has a excellent record. I hope I have all the power that I need to go through with this. Like I said I have no problem following a diet and or doing the work, I am just getting scared. So I looked this site up for some emotional support. Yes I am a emotional eater, more than a over eater. Thanks for your reply.

Sheemac

I love you guys. You all made me feel so much better. Hopefully no more achey panic attacks before the surgery. I am excited again :rolleyes2:

DLIPPO,

Welcome to really long journey (I haven't even had my surgery yet and I'm saying that). A great place to start is your insurance company. See what they cover and what they don't. Do you have some money laying around to invest in yourself? I say start there because it can money can either slam doors in your face or open the flood gates. Sorry to say. What makes you say you are too heavy for Lap Band? Unless you are at an EXTREME risk of death during surgery (you can seek out a cardiologist and have him do an echtocardiogram. this is not required but I asked for one, just in case) due to heart problems, I don't see why you would be too heavy. Where are you from? There's a bunch of local boards with Doctor recommendations. Do you have a PCP? Have you spoke with him or her? Stick around so we can help you out!