Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Passover Fears

Anybody out there been banded overthe passover holidays. It is coming up soon and I am terffied about two things, one that all that family gathering and huge meals will be too great a temptation and second what effect will all that Matzo have on a banded stomach, it already blocks up a normal stomah and digestive system.

I don't know what Passover means, but doesn't it mean to pass right over the food table? Just change the meaning around and use it in your favor. Make a dance out of it, spread the word! Step away from the food!

I would be careful with the Matzo. Maybe if you break it up into tiny pieces that'll help, but I'd go easy on it. I'd also just take my time on making healthy choices and eating slowly. I think if you follow those 2 guidlines, you'll do just fine!

Good luck!

I had my surgery on April 6th last year. Easter last year was on April 11th. I was at a big family gathering and I was on clear liwuids where all I ate was Jello and drank my juice. and everyone else ate like kings and queens This year I was with the same group of people at the same place and I am 85 lbs lighter, I ate whatever I wanted and had no fears of gaining wieght what a great feeling .The topic at the table was how far I had come in a year, You will get through the temptation of those huge meals, it is all worth it in the long run. You can do it :)

P.S. Dont know about that Matzo, I have never eaten it

Anybody out there been banded overthe passover holidays. It is coming up soon and I am terffied about two things, one that all that family gathering and huge meals will be too great a temptation and second what effect will all that Matzo have on a banded stomach, it already blocks up a normal stomah and digestive system.

Hi bigmom. I LOVE Matzo... and yes, I actually had it about a week ago. Like Kelly said, just break it up and/or take small bites. Everything went down fine! (especially the wine)

Hi Bigmom -- Do you have any trouble eating regular bread? If not, I'd guess you'd be OK with matzo, although you'll have to chew it like mad. How about doing a "test crunch" with some pre-Passover matzo to see if you and your band can handle it? That way you won't be PBing at a seder.

I can't eat bread - but oh, now I love matzah. I've been eating it all year. It's my new bread. And I have to be careful because it goes down VERY easily! In fact, we can't wait until passover is over so we can stock up on the after passover sales!

It's the horseradish on the gefilte fish that has gotten to me. I think the horseradish just makes a paste and blocks me up.

So... take it easy on all the wonderful pesach foods and you'll do fine!

Mary

Hi Bigmom. I'm o.k. w/matzah; most people, even if they can't eat bread, can manage crackers. And besides, you only need a little at the seders! I survived Purim (threw out a lot of candy & hamentashen). But, that's besides the point. If you're getting banded over the holiday, you'll be on liquids, so you won't have to worry about the matzah! You can have grape juice for liquids if you're worried about the last 2 days (which are a holiday and require meals as well, for those of u who don't know).

Best of luck,

Thanks all for the advice, and Karen B. I was banded in Jan but I am still very careful about solid foods, I guess the Soup and the chicken will be safe for the sedars. I will let you all now after passover (april 23-30) how everthing went.

I misunderstood, thought you were BEING BANDED over the holiday. That would be rough. I still have to moisten my chicken for it to go down o.k. Good luck to all of us.

Note to Lisa & anyone else: Passover is the holiday were Jews Celebrate being freed by God and lead by Moses from slavery in Egypt. We don't eat "leavened bread", cause when the Jews were leaving, they had to go really fast, so didn't have time for their bread bread to rise, hence we eat Matzah for those 8 days. Instead of "pass over" the food, it's pretty much "dig in!"