Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One other thing that I wanted to say was that exercise helped me realize that the scale was not the be all and end all of everything. I can run 2.5 miles straight...and even though my scale still says that I am overweight, I can now take that number with a grain of salt because I have seen such a dramatic increase in my abilities to be active.

Ang, what didn't you like about Curves? I just joined and am hoping this will kick start me, as I've been losing/gaining the same 3 pounds the past 2.5 months. I haven't exercised prior to this, so I'm hoping this will get me going...

Was it the people, the place or the program? Just curious since I'm just starting there...:lol:

Well honestly - I like the concept of circuit training (ie: Curves) where you go and you have it all laid out for you plain and simple you know you do this, this, this, 1/2 hr later you're done. I LOVE that concept as I know other gyms (just normal) that I have joined in the past when I look at the weight machines etc I'm just lost as to how to get a routine going that I stick with and with Curves - you have just that. So the concept I like.

What I don't like (has nothing to do with the people or location etc they are all fantastic) is while it has structure and all that - it bores me, I leave and I feel like I just wasted a 1/2 hr of my life I won't get back and the entire time I am there I am counting down the minutes until I leave - I don't know what it is about it.

Sure the fact that I am still very big makes it not as fun and I'm sure it will be that way with any exercise. Just got bored with it all really. I am looking into joining the Y (my Curves membership is up mid-June and that's when I can cancel if I so choose) as they have Aquafit (water aerobics) classes as well as other programs and a full gym that I can use if I want. My main goal there would be to do aquafit and then when I'm more comfortable on something like a treadmill, progress to that. I am going to do a few drop in's to aquafit to see if I will enjoy it as much as I think I might before quitting Curves and joining up there instead as I unfortunately cannot afford to have memberships at both places (self pay for band).

Hope you enjoy Curves!

I don't exercise right now, but I want to. I was always athletic (and still am to a degree), but our treadmill was broken. I live in the mountains so a walk at night carries a definite degree of danger. A run being an even higher degree. However, now that it is getting darker later, my DH and I have been taking walks. It's not really exercising because we more amble than walk, but I want to change that.

I didn't like Curves either. I got bored and the workout was not challenging enough for me. No matter how hard I tried (I even brought in a jump rope to try and up my cardio), but I never even broke a sweat. And, when I would go hiking on the weekends, I never saw any improvement in my cardio.

But that's just my two cents. I know so many people who love it!

I started my exercising several years ago. I'll do at least 1.5 hours per day.

I highly recommend exercising as a part of your weight loss goals. The weight just falls off on the good days, and the bad days tend to just keep the scale from going to high, if it even does.

I also cannot even begin to describe how great it makes you feel. You feel so much better mentally, physically and otherwise. Start slow but make sure you are at least pushing yourself.

I do an awful lot of cardio exercise, being a runner, five times a week for between forty minutes for my shorter runs and two hours for my longer - its about 30kms a week give or take, my long run is 16kms, I try to do two runs of 8 and twice a week I'll do something on the treadmill, one of the programs that totals about 4kms but is more interval type training. I use the treadmill more when I'm really busy, and cant get out in the daylight to run. I fall a bit short on strength work, I just started working for Curves, so I'm doing that. I had a free memebership a while ago and dismissed Curves as too easy for me but now I've been taught how to do it properly I'm getting a GREAT workout. I love the fact that its half an hour. I just dont have time to go to the gym, I really cant do it with my schedule at the moment and I just workout at the end of my shift, I'm already there, and I just have to find once a week for the third workout.

Its quite a hefty workout schedule overall though and I'm really having to dig deep to keep at it at the moment, I have lots and lots of study to do. But I know that I absolutely CANNOT let it slide, it must be a priority. That's the lifeskill we all have to learn, how to do those things we need to do within the context of our busy lives. I've been lucky that I was only studying part time till now and was basically a SAHM, but I've stepped up to full time, a part time job and I've still got to try to fit it in, but its SO worth it.

Jacqui, I know what you mean about doing it the right way. I've had someone with me both times I've gone to make sure I'm doing it the right way and MAN I can really tell I'm working my body.

I think the stretching afterwards is really helping with the soreness, too. I'm hoping to work up to the bike/walks on the days I don't do Curves, but right now it's baby steps for me. Have to walk before I can run (literally).:lol:

I never worked out before surgery. Now I work out at Curves 6 days a week as well as walk or bike nearly every day. I truly do feel better because of it and have no intention of quitting.

I'm running 4 days a week at the moment (anywhere from 6-10km) I'm training towards doing my first half marathon on May 18, so the distances will increase over the next 5 weeks. I am also doing yoga an hour a week in a class (I've just discovered it and LOVE it). I just last weekend bought some weights to do at home, so I will use them 3 times a week and do some stretching and yoga as well.

I work out 4-5 times a week. I do the treadmill 45 mins and try to do at least 15 mins on the ellipitical. I also do strength training once a week with a small group and personal trainer. I hate excercise, I have to have a pep talk with myself everyday. Once I'm done with the work out I feel great. The way I look at it is, It would be pointless to have had this surgery if I'm not going to workout and put my all into it. I'm seeing remarkable results from the workouts, I wouldn't be losing 3 lbs a week without it, my band isn't very thight right now, only have had 1 fill, so I can eat anything I want, which is scary.

I'm exhausted just reading the things some of you do! I walk to and/or from work 35 minutes - and it is a brisk non-stop 35 minutes. I know that I should do more and could do more, but just haven't done it. I checked out Curves, and said, nope. I checked out the local Y (a much better deal financially IMO), but the nice weather is finally here, and, and, and. Have I mentioned I am queen of excuses?

What I need is a Jachut motivational CD to play; I am always so impressed with your energy and insights!

Shoot I am impressed you walk to work...I think that is great!

35 min walk is great.

I keep thinking baby steps. Right now my husband was 350 at the seminar and 342 yesterday at the surgeons office. (it's funny, but i dont see him as that big anyway...) His joints bother him now that it about kills him to walk around the block, so when the PT was telling him all this stuff they want him to do, I was thinking no way will this fly. I got to thinking about in the past when he has lost 60-80 lbs that as the weight came off, he became more active so I think we will have to work into the exercise, but I'm not telling our surgeon that. For the ones that do 2-4 hours a day-GREAT JOB!!! But thanks also to the ones that replied that are still working into a routine. It made me feel better. Good Luck to all!

I do Water aerobics 3X per week. I'd do it more if they had more classes. I hate the treadmill. It's so ^$$#% boring! But I also have arthritis in my shoulders, spine, hips and knees. If I over do anything, I pay and pay dearly. So I can't exercise daily. If I have a really strenuous deep water workout, my joints kill me the next day. So I take a day off. But I go right back after day two. I wish I didn't have this problem, but I do and work around it as best I can.

Ang, what didn't you like about Curves? I just joined and am hoping this will kick start me, as I've been losing/gaining the same 3 pounds the past 2.5 months. I haven't exercised prior to this, so I'm hoping this will get me going...

Was it the people, the place or the program? Just curious since I'm just starting there...:)

I was a member of Curves about 7 years ago, I loved it. I think it is a great exercise for someone that doesn't have the time to do a lot, and for someone that doesn't like a lot of people (men). For me, it just didn't work because of their hours. They didn't open until 8 am (I have to be at work at 8 - so I couldn't go before work). They closed at 8 pm (My son had b-ball games in the evening during the summer) so I couldn't go in the late evenings (I like to go around 8:30 pm)

I'm now a member at a 24 hour gym and I love it. I'm a little more serious about exercise and weight training, so I don't think Curves would fit in, since there are no free weights. However, I think Curves is great for some people and great for anyone just beginning to exercise. I did lose weight while working out at Curves. The people who ran it were also wonderful ladies and very encouraging.