Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

you probably dont need the stole softner....

once you do the bowl prep your liquid from then on...

cleaning yourself and squating to the toilet is a big issue....

I dont want to bend over and pick up anything...

The girdle the doctors gave me seems to be important...

I like to be wrapped tightly....

I turned on all the cable premimum channels for just a month... cinemax, hbo, stars all that stuff.... also net flix...

you will wind up with to much stuff.... you intake goes way down...

i'd have to say i agree with Plain. there are some essentials, like getting some tylenol and some gas x (the strips taste like crap, but the cherry flavored chewables are really not bad at all). but bbq tongs to wipe your butt with? first, you wont likely be wiping your butt for several days, because you won't be crapping. second, i had absolutely no probs wiping my own butt, thank you. and a kitchen timer to remember to take a sip every 15 minutes? i guess if you need a kitchen timer anyway... A seat belt shoulder pad isn't necessary, b/c you'll likely have the seat laying down anyway. just bring a pillow from home if you want one. don't know why you'd need wet wipes. probably won't need cough drops at all (i didn't), and a little bag will be enough if you do, unless you just like to buy in bulk. like morgan said, definitely don't need stool softener (if you haven't crapped yet after a few days, don't take stool softener. the diarrhea will come without it). the Soup at hand cambell's Soups are actually a really good suggestion. they are already liquid, and a nice size. creamy Tomato is wonderful! i wouldn't go out and buy sweats that are a size larger. you just need whatever you have at home. pajamas or sweats or gym shorts and a tshirt. if you don't have any of these things, then maybe you should get something. but not a size bigger (unless you believe that super tight clothes are your size). the slippers are a good idea. also, something that isn't on your list is one of those grabby hands things for picking stuff up. that would have been very helpful. i guess you could use the bbq tongs for that, but not if you've been wiping your butt with them (which you won't need to). also, you're probably going to be sleeping alot in the first few days, so there's not a real need to go out an buy a lot of movies or books. you'll try to watch a movie and just fall asleep anyway from the pain meds. so rent a couple, or just watch what you have at home. (unless you just really want to buy some movies, then by all means, go ahead.)

sorry for tearing down your list like this, because it was great for you to put it together for everyone. there are some things on there that i wish that i had thought of before my surgery. then again, going to the store to get them got me out of the house. a lot of the items are unnecessary, though, and there isn't any point in going out and spending money on it if you don't need to. and if there is something that you didn't get that you really would like to have, you can always send out your helper.

Hey like I said i stole this list can't remeber where from.... but yes some things are funny like the BBQ tongs i agree I can wipe now I am sure I can wipe later.... But if we get some new ideas that would be great!!! Help all of us soon to be banded people

If any body has some suggestions please do add.....

Got a band date 4/9/2008

Happy Mothers Day to Me!

Edited by casscitymom
For fun

thindolphin:

I ordered Usana chewable vitamins, they're supposed to be really good quality, but $$, I bought Flintstones anyway. Also the SlimFast Optima shakes are good, but still have more sugar than others. Try muscle milk light, or AdvantEdge Carb control; you can buy them in most grocery stores, and they taste ok. My boys drink the MuscleMilk, so you know it's not too bad!

My doc said I can blend in a little fruit with the shakes pre-op, so I usually buy the vanilla.< /p>

Thank you so much! I have just started the process but have been wondering what I should pick up and have handy for the BIG day (and the days after).

a couple of other non list kind of things you might wanna do before the surgery.

Catch up your household chores like laundry, mopping etc. Cause you probably won't feel up to these things for a few days.

Grocery shop for the next week or 2 weeks ahead.

Check ahead if your doc/pharmacist is gonna perscribe anything for pain, nausea or any medicines your currently on etc that your pharmacy actually has liquid versions onhand or if you can crush pills etc. Somethings you cannot crush.

My BF works at walgreens so I know the pharmacist pretty well and in talking with him he said they don't normally keep liquid alternatives in stock for adult medicines but they can get them in a week or less (usually 2-3 days but it varies) if they get the perscriptions ahead of when you will actually need them.

if you have kids/husband etc. Cook or by meals you wont have to work hard to fix. Make up stuff you can freeze etc. So that if your to tired or in pain the family's able to microwave/toss in the oven meals.

I had to have an emergency apendicitis removal in 2002 and these are some things I WISH I would have had time to do before hand. But couldn't due to the emergency part. lol.

The meals and grocery shopping especially. Cause my BF the dearheart he is will go shopping but he buys lots of junk. And he don't know how to cook much. So again he buys for convience and not nutrition.

Household chores was not a problem as all my kids were old enough to chip in while I was recovering. Lots of moaning & groaning but the house wasn't a wreck lol.

If you don't have one on hand or can't borrow one a shower chair/seat. Even a milk crate covered with a thick towel works. For helping with the afterward dizzy/weakness spells.

The shower chair sounds like a great idea. I'll just use a plastic outdoor chair.

What about Tums? They are chewable....is it just that most people dont like the taste of them or what? I didn't buy the Gas X because we have tons of tums.

Before I go to sleep, I'm going to ask the Dr to please deflate me as much as possible to be rid of some gas!! Wish he'd tie my tubes while hes in there!

Thank you for the info. I have no idea what to expect and this has really given me some idea as to what I will need.

God's speed in your recovery.

It boggles my mind the damage I could do to some really important part of my anatomy with BBQ tongs!!!!!

You know when I reverse in the car, I never remember whether to turn the opposite way or what----thank goodness for instinct, if I have to think about it, I am sunk---I am afraid the logistics of using the tongs----would be the same. ummmmmmm no thanks, they were totally not needed!!!

One thing I will suggest, it is not something to go buy----but a suggestion that worked wonderfully for me.

Move a dining chair into the bedroom right next to the bed. It needs to be sort of sturdy---so you can use it for leverage in and out of bed. You can use the seat for an extra bedside table to hold all the things you bought on the list, so you don't have to reach too far!!

A former LBT'er suggested the chair, and I forgot. The first night home, laying back in the bed pulled my port incision, and it reminded me, so I had DH bring in a chair from the dining table--WOW---just something to hold onto as you raise up or lay down makes a huge difference!!

Tums--------only if you chew them to liquid consistency I was told---you do not want your stomach sensing anything solid and trying to digest it.

Keep a cordless phone handy, or a cell phone. Sit back for a couple days, relax for a few minutes, and take frequent walks, even if they are short ones. Soon you will be up and at it, and wondering what are you going to do with those BBQ tongs-----cuz just knowing what you bought them for, you are not gonna want to cook with them!!!

Not laughing at you or your list----just with you!!!

Kat

OK, I'm day 2 post-op, and I wish I would have had EAR PLUGS at the hospital. There was so much damn BEEPING from all the machinery in the different rooms, it drove me nuts! Some of it I got used to, but when one would "alarm" all of a sudden and wake me up?!!!! argggghhh!

Thank you for the list. The BBQ tongs scared me too.. I will just have to deal w/ pain. I will grab them for being able pick up things. I am worried that my bed is high and I drive a jeep, the pain i will deal with getting in and out. I brought some of the things on the list, the heating/cooling pad/ tums/ etc. But I am a little scared since I live alone.. I'm being banded in 2 days...