Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Becca is confused - HELP!

Friends I need your help. I've been reading posts from all, and I feel like either 1) there is no band in my belly and the weight I have lost has been through self-fulfilled prophecy, or 2) the band works differently for me.

I read about "restriction, sliming, PBing, getting stuck", and none of that has happened to me. I've had 2 fills so far, but still have never felt the sensation of "restriction" that others describe. But, the way I DO feel different is that I feel full faster, and if I eat after I feel full, about half an hour later I get gassy and bloated and overall yucky feeling. I also just don't feel as hungry anymore. Sometimes I'll look up at the clock and realize it is 2 hours past lunchtime (believe me THAT never happened before). So I definately know that the band is helping me lose weight, but it feels really different for me than the vast majority of posts on this forum.

Someone out there please tell me that the band is impacting you the same way it is me!! It's not that I'm eager to slime up saliva and then barf my meal (eek!) but I'm wondering why I feel so different?

I'am having the same experience and thought I was missing something too. I'd had 3 fills (5.7) and will have another in 2 weeks at my next appt. I can eat too much and am not losing much now, although I know I am beefing up the muscles with all the bike riding and exercise I can do now. I can't believe we have to barf to get the best results. I'm glad someone else is in the same boat as me.

I think there's restriction and then SUPER restriction. I'm about where you are, no PBing or sliming or anything, but I definitely know when to stop eating! (I've had a couple things threaten to stick, but it was just a mild discomfort and then it went down).

From what I've been reading around here, it seems like many people want to be tighter than what I am now, since I can still eat a decent amount, and I can eat most anything. But, I'm losing, and I rather like that I can eat what I want, so I'm happy here. I'm basically eating what I ate before, just less of it. And I'm losing steadily. So why make myself miserable? (I can eat about 1/3 of a restaurant meal - where I used to finish it and then stop at DQ on the way home).

I am almost afraid to say this out loud, but I've never really had a hard time losing weight. Even when I cheated LOTS on WW, I was still down every week, just in small amounts. And I'm ok with that, because any weight down is the right direction. I'd rather be able to eat what I like and lose weight slowly, then to be super restricted and drop 3 pounds a week. My problem has always been seeing it through and then keeping it off, which hopefully won't be a problem this time.

Boy did I ever carry on there, eh?

Becca,

I think you are right on target. Just because you have not slimed or PB'd does not mean something is wrong. It means you are doing the right thing.

Usually those symptoms come from (as what I've read around this forum) either eating too much of things that the band has trouble passing through, or simply having your band restriction too tight. Both of these things are bad.

I have had a few times where I had a minor stuck feeling and both of those were from breads. I stopped eating immediately until the stuck feeling subsided and experienced nothing more.

I personally don't want to PB or slime and if I do, I will correct my behavior right away. I have a serious fear of vomiting, so I think that might be the trigger in my own mind to ensure that never happens - and when it does (because it is very possible) I'll do everything in my power to see to it I don't again.

I know part of the reason we don't feel the restriction they are talking about is because we really aren't close to the sweet spot yet. And I totally agree that PB, slime, overly tight are not the way the band should be working. I asked my nurse why they didn't warn people about PB and slime and she said it's cause she's only had it happen to one person. Also told me not to look for bad things to happen - lol. Think we're on the right track just not at the destination yet.

Also, loved your video blog and congrats on all of your hard work! It's really paying off.

I disagree with above. I would say that you are exactly at your sweet spot. If you pb a lot you would probably be too tight and if you can eat as much as you want you would be too loose. Sounds like you are just where some of us have so much trouble getting.

I didn't feel any of that myself just felt full quicker and longer. But then I got my forth fill. Now I have a totally different feeling Now I have to really pay attention to what i put in my mouth I've been sliming alot. I always wondered what they were talking about, well now I no..

I stand corrected. I was reading the post thru my own exerience and not paying attention to details. It does sound like the band is working for Becca not Becca doing all the work until the band gets to the right spot.

I have been feeling full faster but really feel like I could eat much more if I wanted to because the band isn't doing that much. The main difference is I get full but I'm feel like I could eat again in an hour. I've only had one fill and it was tight for the first day and then nothing. I think my smaller appetite is more from the severe diets that I had pre and post op.

My feeling of restriction comes from the fact that I feel full faster, can't eat as much, and feel full longer. Right now, I feel like I'm losing restriction because even though I feel full faster, I am eating a little more than I did immediately after and I feel hungry sooner. I have no PB'ed or slimed even once, and I really don't want to. I've had one episode of minor discomfort but it passed without anything getting stuck or coming back up. I don't think that PB'ing, sliming, or regularly getting stuck are optimal or something to strive for. If I was PB'ing or sliming a lot, I'd probably want an unfill. That isn't how I want to live in order to lose weight.

LOVE YOUR BLOG! I look forward to the next one! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

My experience has pretty much been the same as yours. That is until I had my second fill. I am finding that I cannot eat any type of bread, chewy foods or Pasta. If I do, this causes me to PB and slime, which is terrible!! So I have adjusted my eating to Soup and soft crunchy foods that are easy to chew, chew, chew. As long as I do not PB or slime I am happy.

Edited by mrs.jones

Friends I need your help. I've been reading posts from all, and I feel like either 1) there is no band in my belly and the weight I have lost has been through self-fulfilled prophecy, or 2) the band works differently for me.

I read about "restriction, sliming, PBing, getting stuck", and none of that has happened to me. I've had 2 fills so far, but still have never felt the sensation of "restriction" that others describe. But, the way I DO feel different is that I feel full faster, and if I eat after I feel full, about half an hour later I get gassy and bloated and overall yucky feeling. I also just don't feel as hungry anymore. Sometimes I'll look up at the clock and realize it is 2 hours past lunchtime (believe me THAT never happened before). So I definately know that the band is helping me lose weight, but it feels really different for me than the vast majority of posts on this forum.

Someone out there please tell me that the band is impacting you the same way it is me!! It's not that I'm eager to slime up saliva and then barf my meal (eek!) but I'm wondering why I feel so different?

I couldn't have said it better myself! You desribed EXACTLY what I'm experiencing!! No sense of "restriction" but definitely getting full faster on less food. Crossing my fingers that I feel SOMETHING after my next fill.

Oh my goodness - I am so relieved! I was starting to worry that I had stretched my pouch, or wasn't doing something right! I guess I won't worry as long as I am losing and as long as I feel full earlier. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. I knew I could count on you guys to give me good advise!

What exactly is a sweet spot? I am actually beginning to gain weaight at this point. My first and only fill was three cc's and I feel no restriction at all. I will get another fill in 2 1/2 weeks but I am getting soooo anxious and frustrated.

I am going to butt in from the July 07 board, to tell you that if you are still losing AND you don't get the sliming, pbing feeling, you are LUCKY. This is how I was with my first fill. If I hadn't gotten something lodged from taking too big of a bite, I honestly don't know that I would have ever had to have another fill. Ever since then I have been battling the too tight feeling, and believe me you don't want that. You have most likely NOT stretched your pouch, you are just at a comfortable spot. I find that I lost most of my weight when I was looser than most people would want to be because I could eat the right kinds of food. When I was so tight that I could only get down liquids, I wouldn't lose much. So milk this for all it is worth and know that some people NEVER have to have fills.

I am going to butt in as well! :biggrin:

Sounds to me that you are at perfect restriction. When you feel too tight you are miserable. I have been there. It sound like you have found just the right spot where you don't eat as much and don't want to pb. You are lucky to find it so easily!

Keep it up! You are restricted just not to the point that it bothers you or inteferes with life!! PERFECT:wink2: