Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 weeks, 3 fills, NO restriction! Is my band a dud?

Indio Girl-

Thanks for your thought provoking post!! What brand of scale do you have?..I have an old ww one but it doesn't do all the cool things yours does...please share!!

Michelle

Salter - I got it at bed bath & beyond - it's a bit pricey $100 - but it's well worth it. I weight and package my meat after I have shopped and write on the zip lock bag the calories and Protein grams then freeze -

The other night I had some whole wheat Pasta - I don't know what a real serving size of Pasta is - (it use to be half the box) so on the box it says 56 grm is one serving 180 calories - so I weighed out 56 grm - I could only eat 1/2 - so 90 calories - I would have been guessing if I didn't have the scale - us fat chick seem to ALWAY underestimate - and all those 50 calories here - 25 there add up..

I seem to be on a roll tonite it must be the 1/4 of a mile that I ran tonite - must have boosted my oxygen levels - I am a plain talker and am well know for giving tough band love -(operative word being love) - I know all the excuses as to why we can't do this or that or why it's too hard - I am a fat chick too so I have parroted all the same excuses in my life time - you can't sh*t a bullsh*t - and only a fat person can really understand another fat person - the whole been there done that...

LBT is now my transfer addiction - :rolleyes2::lol:

I think you just get so frustrated because like many many band recipients we have tried thousands of diets in the past and we are sick of failing at one more thing. I know the band is a tool and most of us have put on the weight over many years but I think we are frustrated because we all want to know what is it like to feel really really full with no urge to eat another bite! I had my sugery the 15th of January and have lost around 20 lbs. I am at 5cc from yesterday and still really no restiction. I have another fill in the middle of May so I am crossing my fingers!

-Shellhisto

i'm 5 weeks out, have had 3 fills (6.5cc's in a 10cc band) and i have no restriction, always hungry - no pb-ing...nada. I can eat just about anything - all Proteins including steak. I have not yet tested Pasta, rice or bread but yesterday I went out for thai and ate an entire order of red curry chicken and two spring rolls with no problem and afterwards was still hungry so had a few pieces of sugarfree candy and was STILL hungry!!!

i really wonder if i got a "dud" band...but then I have hope that "maybe" my next fill will put me at restriction.

i really am a bit scared that i'll max out my band and not feel restriction and there goes $17.5K (self-pay) down the drain. Ugh. Does everyone go through this? I keep reading about folks who have restriction at 3 or 4cc's in their 10cc band. I am so jealous!

Hey,

I completely understand your frustration - I have had two fills. They amount to about 7 ccs but my doctore seems to be unaware of the total size band I have - he told me the name of the band. But I can go back every 2 weeks.

At least you've lost weight - 8 weeks out I've only lost 3 lbs!

I think you just get so frustrated because like many many band recipients we have tried thousands of diets in the past and we are sick of failing at one more thing. I know the band is a tool and most of us have put on the weight over many years but I think we are frustrated because we all want to know what is it like to feel really really full with no urge to eat another bite! I had my sugery the 15th of January and have lost around 20 lbs. I am at 5cc from yesterday and still really no restiction. I have another fill in the middle of May so I am crossing my fingers!

-Shellhisto

Shell

The band really doesn't stop the urge to eat another bite - that's mental not physical... I have that urge nightly - I have eaten my dinner and am full - I still want to eat.

This is why I keep repeating and repeating - there is a lot of head work that needs to be done in addition to being banded. You can totally eat around it..

Good luck on your next fill..

Shortgal,

I go for my first fill on May 21st. I map quested the distance and it will probably be about an hour and 20 minutes to get there. I don't know how often I will get fills. I guess every doc is different in how they do things but I'm thinking I will get one as often as I need to...you know when I am not losing and I can eat way too much and I'm not staying full between meals & stuff. From what I hear those are the indications it's time for a fill. It seems each doc does things a different way so that will be a factor if she only gives small fills or larger ones. I also have to pay out of pocket for my fills and they are $200 each one, so I guess finances will also play a part in how often I get a fill. I'm praying I am one of those fortunate people who get restriction earlier rather than later. Right now it's too early to tell...

Thank you, I was banded on 4/8/8 and reading this was scaring the hell out of me. I paid cash for my band and I will keep your wise words in mind during the tough times and fight back.

Definitely agree with you on this one! I tell people that I "want" to eat more - but the band restricts me from doing that. At times it's hard because the food tastes/smells so good - but the band is definitely doing its job - because it will not allow me to eat more. The great thing is that after about 20 minutes, I realize that I am actually full...and had I eaten more, I would have been eating beyond my full-point.

Shell

The band really doesn't stop the urge to eat another bite - that's mental not physical... I have that urge nightly - I have eaten my dinner and am full - I still want to eat.

This is why I keep repeating and repeating - there is a lot of head work that needs to be done in addition to being banded. You can totally eat around it..

Good luck on your next fill..