Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question...

Guest maxwellbart05

Alexandra-

My friend is doing okay I suppose. I'm really quite surprised that she's doing so good to be honest... she smokes weed a lot, eats a lot of junk food, never works out, and hasn't worked in YEARS, and is supposedly in college, but takes only 1 class thru the Internet. She basically just sits on her butt all day.

She also became pregnant less than a year after she got banded... she had her surgery in March 04, and became pregnant in December 04. She is now about 4 mos pregnant, and has only gained 8 lbs.

One thing I did notice about her, is that when she does eat, she eats VERY, VERY slowly and chews very carefully.

I guess the odds were in her favor... when I was asking her some questions about the surgery a few days ago, she said "Don't worry about the stupid things that they tell you to do and the restrictions they give you- you don't need to go on a liquid diet, you can smoke afterwards, and you can drink pop after your surgery."

Needless to say, I'm NOT taking her advice...lol.

I'm paying completely out of my OWN pocket (and I'm a student). If I'm going to make that big of a financial sacrafice, then I want it to work for me, and work good.

My parents went on and on about my spending so much money on this surgery, but to me its an investment in my future. That $15,000 could be 15 more years I live, $15,000 more I get paid a year by looking more "pulled together", and many, many more years happiness & health.

-Lisa

PS... Good luck MaxwellBart... I'm sure you'll do great if you put your mind to it! =)

Good for you, Lisa. Your friend may have lost weight but she sure isn't going to keep it off that way. I'm wondering who her doctor is and whether the doc thinks she's doing well?

It would be fascinating to check back with her in 10 years and see how she's doing!!

I have to say, I find I DO have to diet with the band (ducking Donali throwing something at me......!!!!) I haven't very much restriction, and am not interested in being too tight as I worry about being far away from any band doctor in an emergency. I calorie/fat/protein count everyday now, and I am losing weight. I couldn't eat a lot of bread/pasta etc but can still eat a fairly substantial meal - and junk goes down easily - cookies/chocolate etc - so I have to stick to a progam - I "plateau-ed" for over three months by not watching what I ate, and I became really depressed and felt a failure....I feel more in control now and proud of losing weight more, as I feel I work WITH the band....if I stay away from craving-inducing sugar, I don't feel hungry - some times I don't know what is working - me obsessed with numbers (adding the calories etc), avoiding sugar or the band! Maybe it's all three!

Dunno if this is any help but as Michelle said, everyone works the band their way...

I think she went through Loyola University in Chicago. As far as I know, she avoids going back for fills at all costs, so I doubt her Dr. knows much.

As far as the pregnancy goes, I would think it would be bad to (intentionally) get pregnant just 9 months after getting banded... but... who knows.

ps. just a quick additional question: i used to kickbox when i was in better shape and would like to get back into it when i lose my weight... involved in the sport are some sharp, powerful blows to the abdomen.... is that gonna be an issue or dangerous with the band on?

good question, as I plan to take tae kwon do next fall. I think our best bet is to get really good at blocking!!!! That and wear a chest protector when sparing.

Hey there,

I'm 23 (as of last week) and started at the same weight as you are. I've lost 40+ pounds so far (I'm bouncing a little at the moment). At first I didn't really watch anything, and I didn't exersize. I didn't eat nearly as much as I used to, so I lost 25 lbs but then I got stuck. I got my 2nd fill, which helped me eat even less and I lost another 15~20 lbs, to where I am now. I've been stuck since about the beginning of February, and I've been exersizing since the last week of February. Around then I also counted my calories and found that I wasn't really getting much in (unless I had some drinks). It was at or less than 1000 for a few days until I started working at it. I quit counting for a while, and started counting again this week and haven't hit 1500 calories. My goal is 1200 ~ 1500 a day and I've been right on target. I started walking that last week of February, just around the block, and now I'm going 2 miles at roughly 3 miles per hour, and today I even ran the last little bit. My weight dipped to an all time low of 230, but has been bouncing a little bit and I'm not sure what's up with that, but what I do know is that in the last 10 days I've lost 2 inches from the widest part of my belly.

I guess all that goes deeper into what you asked, but my point is that at first I didn't have to work and now I do. I wouldn't say that I "diet" but I'm definately more aware of what I'm eating. I bought a box of girlscout Cookies the other day and I've been having 1 serving at a time, instead of a whole package or whatever it was I used to eat.

Probably your kick boxing class would be ok, but you might mention it to your surgeon so that he can decide where to put the port. Some of them put the port right in the center of your stomach and that might not be ideal for you.

:)