Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery check in for Avengers!

...and I feel great!

I'm down about 20 lbs since surgery and feel almost no hunger (even without a fill). I still have cravings for food, but not being hungry really helps control the craving.

I feel healthier and find it much easier to get around then I used to. I have had a few minor NSV's: the seatbelt in my car has more slack, my jeans are getting baggy, and my large bath towel wraps around my body better than it used to.

I am ten days post-op and I want some real food. =( I am still on the liquid diet, and I have stuck with it. I move to soft foods on Wednesday after my post-op. I do okay until I see food commercials or see/smell people eating good food!

i was banded 4/24 and am up and around. my daughters prom was on Saturday (2 days post op) and i was able to go with her to get her make up done at the mall and also to get her hair done. i was pooped afterwards but i was glad to be able to get out. it's true, the more you walk the more the gas pain reduces. i'm a back sleeper but was able to roll on my side last night. i do have the stomach gurgling sounds and am quite hungry, i just keep drinking my liquids in small intervals. good luck to everyone out there.:huh2:

My surgery went well according to the doctor but it was longer than expected. Just trying to get to my stomach was the hard part they said. After I woke up from surgery, I was in extreme amount of pain that I was breathing fast and moaning pretty loudly. They put me on pain relievers through the IV right away.

Edited by asenft

Okay, I'm still hungry. WHY????? Why isn't this working for me like it is the rest of you? It's just not fair. I won't cheat because, well I just won't. But I am just hungry a lot. I know I'm losing weight, that really isn't the point (of this story). I am struggling to keep my calories low. My dietician said to keep it between 600-800 kcals/day. It's a struggle. And I'm bored with the same food, so now I'm looking for things that are still mushie, but with flavor. I've actually moved on to pudding yesterday. I didn't want to do it, but I just had to. Now I want more. It's so yummy (sugar free fat free white chocolate). But it's 70 cals of nothing. No nutritional value (except the milk it's made with).

Seriously, am I all alone?

~C

Okay, I'm still hungry. WHY????? Why isn't this working for me like it is the rest of you? It's just not fair. I won't cheat because, well I just won't. But I am just hungry a lot. I know I'm losing weight, that really isn't the point (of this story). I am struggling to keep my calories low. My dietician said to keep it between 600-800 kcals/day. It's a struggle. And I'm bored with the same food, so now I'm looking for things that are still mushie, but with flavor. I've actually moved on to pudding yesterday. I didn't want to do it, but I just had to. Now I want more. It's so yummy (sugar free fat free white chocolate). But it's 70 cals of nothing. No nutritional value (except the milk it's made with).

Seriously, am I all alone?

~C

I dont think you are alone. Its a matter of degrees. At our group, there was quite a lot of variablilty between folks... some were starving.. some werent. As you begin to eat more... you will probably get more hungry between meals. The band really isnt doing much right now. Once you get a fill, you will feel more 'satisfied' with what you eat. Make sure you are getting your 50-70g of Protein per day.

One very tasty thing I found at the store was Star Kist Gormet Seas tuna single serving cans. There are 3-4 flavors and they are great and loaded with Protein.< /p>

Thank you Don. I can tell the last few days that I don't have restriction. I've noticed that I can eat more than I should. I stop myself, I measure. Right now I'm running on will power alone!

I think if I had something that would "stick" or rest above the band I'd feel better. It doesn't help either that it's an all-consuming lifestyle at this time. My dietician has me either eating or drinking all day. I feel like it's unrealistic, but I'm trying so hard to follow all the rules. Get enough Protein and get enough Water. Take the pills, take the Vitamins. I seriously never thought this much about food, ever! (pre-band). I'm logging all my food, exercise, Water and weight each day too!

Maybe I'm trying to hard. Maybe all this 'awareness' is what's making it so hard! LOL

~C

Finally on the loosing side!!! I was banded 4/24. Had to be there at 5am .. with a 2 hr drive so I slept most of the way there to keep from worrying! I wasn't there 20 minutes and they took me on back for questions and meeting the antithesiologist (sp). My husband was able to be with me at this time. Shortly after, they whisked me a way to start the IV. The nurse anethosist was awesome. We joked around until she put the versed (SP) in and I don't remember alot. I do remember being in the operating room and moving to the table with tons of lights above me. There were HUGE screws on the lights and I remember thinking "are they going to drill those into my head" STRANGE I know... meds can do crazy things to you! lol. I woke up in recovery IN PAIN!!! My throat was killing me and my stomach felt like I had been run over! They gave me some morphine and asked me to take deep breaths .. .which hurt. I remember having to get more morphine and then being moved to short stay. I heard the nurse say she had given me 12 of morphine. I don't know if thats alot or not but it wasn't enough. The short stay nurse pumped some nausea med in the IV before giving me liquid lorcet. I still hurt pretty bad but looking back, I slept through most of it. DH says the surgery was over about 8:30 (lasted about an hour) and it was 10:15 before the put me in short stay. Then 2 before leaving. The staff was VERY busy but during MY time of need... I was upset that I had to basically do it all myself. For their sake, I think they were just letting me sleep until I got ready to go.. but I was aggrivated that I was hurting IN the hospital. Finally got my cloths on and walked to the desk and said we are out of here. It hurt to sit up in a wheel chair so I walked to the car.. which wasn't far. I slept all the way home and the rest of the day. Friday was pretty painful.. the port incision. Saturday the incision and the gas was rough but not nearly as bad as I had imagined. Today, I woke up short of breath and when I take a deep breath... I feel like I'm being stabbed. I finally got worried and called the doctor and he didn't seem concerned at all about it. Said he didn't know what it was but it could last 2 days to 2 weeks but wouldn't kill me. I'm convinced from other post that I have a partially collapsed lung. It's fine as long as I'm laying down. I've slept in the recliner all 3 nights so that might have something to do with it. All in all ....NO REGRETS!!! I don't mean to sound so negative but I know I can't be the only one with this type pain. I had read so much of no pain no pain (and Im thankful there are some who don't have any!!!!!) that I wasn't expecting it to be this tough. But anyway, I'm watching closely to get my fluids in and walk as much as possible. Got a tad bit hungry today but 3 oz of cream Soup took care of that. Good luck to everyone!!!!! I'm excited about OUR FUTURE!!

Gosh Wendy, you really DID have a rough recovery! I think maybe on the pre-op check list should be asking the DR about pain management. It didn't occur to me, but he brought it up himself in the consult. I'm sorry you had so much pain. That is totally un-called for! I was constantly offered choices of pain meds. Research shows that managing pain encourages the healing process. Anyway, it sounds like it mostly over for you.

I have to say, I have been feeling so weak today, I finally ate 3 small bites of LF cottage cheese about 10 min ago.....so far so good!

Oh, and I can't wait to get out of these sweats and see how baggy my jeans are now!!!

Barb (again)

Edited by Blund

Just checking in post op! :wink2: I am finally banded I didn't believe it till the nurse promised me in the OR when I woke up that they placed the band.

I checked in at 5am on 4/23. They immediately gave me pain meds orally to relax me and it worked! I had a couple friends stop in that I barely remember being there. The hardest part was getting my IV in I guess it took 4 tries. They wheeled me into surgery at 7:45 am and wheeled me out at 8:30. Before they woke me up the surgeon said they gave me alot of anti nausea meds and extra pain meds.... so when I woke up I didn't feel anything didn't even realize I had surgery other than I was sleepy from the meds. I slept it off for 5 hours then got up to use the restroom. I havent looked back once. I am not in any discomfort now from the incisions but I am afraid to put jeans on and have it rub on the incisions ;(

I haven't felt hungry once since surgery. I am sure that will fade but for now I will enjoy it. I have an Allergen 10CC band with 0 in it right now.

I wish everyone a speedy and hungerless recovery :tt2:

Guest Leslie2Lose

Turler - We are in the same boat. Although some days I'm hungrier than others. My biggest obsticle is not drinking when I eat. It is so hard.

Congratulations Brandy and Wendy on being banded! I love my band and am ready for my first fill! Mine isn't until May 22 - so I'm doing my best to be patient and follow the rules. Keep us updated on how you're doing.

Turler - We are in the same boat. Although some days I'm hungrier than others. My biggest obsticle is not drinking when I eat. It is so hard.

Congratulations Brandy and Wendy on being banded! I love my band and am ready for my first fill! Mine isn't until May 22 - so I'm doing my best to be patient and follow the rules. Keep us updated on how you're doing.

Yup... getting myself trained to push away that glass of Water (previously sweet tea) while eating is tough....

Cant wait for my first fill. Scheduled for 5/12. No restriction now. I can eat a bowl of Soup with no restriction.... will power will power will power :biggrin:

Hippiemama: Thanks---Must be why I'm crabby and mean and overly-sensitive today :biggrin:

I told the dietician today that I was getting irritable. I think a more appropriate word is bitchy. I'm just darn hungry. I know I'm losing, but it's all been will power so far. I told her if I had so much will power, I wouldn't need the band...I'm running out!!!! She let me increase my caloric intake. I hope that helps. Still gotta stay on mushies though. I'm too afraid to cheat, so I don't even have that! LOL

AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!