Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just dont care anymore

I agree with you Molly, I have definitely had to WORK at this in order for it to work for me. It has not been easy, it has been just as difficult as any other diet I have ever been on. However!!!! This time, I have the band to help keep me in check and from falling off the wagon like I always did before. My band and I are partners. It definitely doesn't do ALL the work.

I was shocked, the people I thought would be the negative ones have been my biggest supporters (mainly my brother and my dad) and the ones I thought would be supportive in there own way have turned out to be the "you're not big enough" or "its the easy way out" people. Weird huh? All my brother did was ask and make sure I had done my research and said "Well I have watched you struggle with this our whole lives, maybe this will be the ticket to you getting where you want to be". I was floored.

Sorry your friends and family aren't supporting you in this, but in the end you have to do what you need to do to be healthy.

I don't think my band has been a waste of time, nor money....and I paid a whole helluva lot more for mine!!! It took very little time to get banded and healed. The money I spent, was as I say much more than yours----but I no longer spend money on prescription co-pays. I was spending quite a bit on 5 different meds per month, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high cholesterol, joint pain......I not only don't have the expense of those, I am not seeing a different Dr. everytime I turn around for another issue.

My food bill has dropped.

As for scarring up my body....I had one incision about 2 inches long, and 1 about 1.5 inches, and then 3 poke hole marks. Now if you look you can see my port incision, I cannot even find the poke marks----and I often keloid scar! It really is not butchering yourself. They are small outside incisions, and nothing is cut inside you at all, it can in fact be returned to just the way it is now if it ever need be--this is not bypass.

People who have never had to worry with their weight will not ever get it I don't think! When your fitness intructor relative sees you down far enough weight wise, to want to go work out with her, and be able to, maybe she will see the light----if not---it isn't her life.

I have heard the easy way out comment, and it isn't true. I have had to work---mostly mentally on the weight loss. It would be easy some nights to sit down with a carton of ice cream, that would be the easy way......knowing better, and having the band there to help, is easier than without, but it still takes dedication, and willpower.

That said, yes the band has made it soooooooo much easier I can hardly believe it! But it is a tool---use it wisely and it makes the job easier. If told you had to dig a hole----you could scoop dirt with your hands, and eventually get the hole dug. But grab a shovel---which is nothing on it's own---it is a tool YOU must work----and the hole is dug that much faster, and easier! If the option is there, the end result is improved health for you, and there is an easier way to go about it.....why not? When you get to goal weight, you are going to feel just as good!!!

Have your family look into the harm of obesity.....it really is a killer!

Glad you decided this is your choice. I was extremely lucky in my support system, and those who talked behind my back about it-----have a lot less back to talk behind now!!!!

Welcome to LBT Mike!

Kat

I just say yup to anyone who thinks I am making a bad decision lol. But the last laugh will be when I reach my goal weight.

EXACTLY! Same here.

Way too go on the positive attitude!!

Just think, they'll be ALL over you, when you get to your wanting weight.

&& They'll say it's the best thing you've ever done.

Nicole!! 15 year old waiting for my "bandation" =)

I had several people who told me that I could lose the weight if I ate right and exercised. Problem was I coud not do those things! I even had a "friend" who sent me a newspaper story about someone who died from the lap band surgery. But I noticed that this friend was a very slim girl who was always on a diet because she was 5 lbs over her perfect weight. When you were a size 6 dress, I guess that is a big thing. Well, I was a 26 and after I had my band (Feb. 26, 2008) I am now a size 20 ( lost 32lbs). Tell your "friends" to worry about themselves and you worry about how your goind to live your life when you are thinner!!

Mike,

Congratulations on putting yourself first. It sounds like you have done the research, and you're doing this for the right reasons. Your daughter deserves to have a healthy father who will be there for her, not one that can't run around the park with her, or can't walk her down the aisle at her wedding.

There will always be negative people who think that they know what's best for you, but in reality, YOU are the only one that knows what's best for you.

Sure, the procedure may be "expensive" for some, but can you really put a dollar value on your health?

As for those who say you're taking "the easy way out", or you should do it "the old fashioned way", just remind them that the "old fashioned way" of performing surgery was without anaesthetic. If there is a new and better way available, would they be volunteering for the old way? Didn't think so.

Besides, if they truly love you, they will support your decision. And if they can't do that, then maybe they're not the sort of person you need in your life.

Lots of people keep the surgery a secret from all but their closest family, I myself am one of these people. We do it for lots of reasons - mostly to save ourselves from the judgemental and narrow-minded views of others.

But rest assured, you will always find support here.

Good luck in your decision, and remember that your health is the most important thing.

Cheers,

Annie.

Hey, Mike

Congratulations! Good for you, you've taken the first step for your new life!

I've been banded for over 3 years and no regrets here.

I think most of us bandsters have all heard some of those stupid «easy way out» stories at some point on our journey, but it just doesn't really matter because most people that say such a thing they are probably not well aware or informed of what the band is or means, even if they are our loved ones.

You seem to be pretty well informed and that's what matters.

best of luck,

niki

HI Mike, I was just banded this last monday and am doing great. I too had a ton of people against me getting the band. I finally learned to pick and choose who i told. My husband was against it too but like your wife came around and said he would support me in whatever i decided. I was so nervous until the night before my surgery. Then I was calm and determined to do this. People leave you alone after they see you are really going to do it no matter what. I had one person say they didnt think i should do it, then after my surgery I heard them say"if Kathy comes out good from this I might have it done" go figure. My parents were really against it but I figure they love me and were just scared of something new and surgery. You do whats in your heart. you know what you want and go get it. I know its scary to think of surgery and changing your whole way of eating but thinking about having diabetes and having a stroke isn't too much fun either. I have already lost 3 lbs in 5 days. thats more than i could do in a month without the band and the best part of it is I'M NOT HUNGRY. thats the best. I finally feel like I am in control for once. Hang in there dont let people's ignorance keep you from doing what you feel is right

Newbeginnings

this is the best thing you can do for yourself. those who truly love you will support you in trying to help yourself.

It is disturbing/fascinating to me how friends and family believe that somehow they have the right/authority to provide unsolicited opinions. It is YOUR body, what you do with it, is your business.

'Butcher yourself' - I suppose none of those supportive friends/family have tattoos or piercings or any number of other things done to their bodies which 'change' their natural body.

'Easy way out' - where to begin???

'Waste of money' - Money on vast quantities of food, insurance premiums, clothing from 'specialty' shops, etc were all free, I guess.

Congratulations on your decision and your attitude!:smile: