Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am talking with this other girl on a military wives forum who is getting WLS, when I told her about what I'm having done, this was her response:

"Im actually having the LapRNY on May 13th, my preop appt is on May 8th..im so excited but a little scared!! I didnt go with the lapband because of the high failure rate and problems with the band itself..i was told it can migrate in ur body and can cause all sorts of problems and its easier to cheat so i didnt want any of that..so where are you on ur journey through weightloss?"

Is this true? Kinda worries me now....:wink_smile:

from what i have read and have been told that as we know its all a tool to assist us in loosing weight nothing can force u to eat less. With the restrictions meaning when u get a fill you are not able to eat as much there was another post on here with someone asking if they can have the lapband on top of the gastric because they gained all of their weight back... so nothing is 100% Any issue that you may have with the lapband is pretty much reversable, but when u have your intestines re-routed and or removed and cut 3/4 of your stomach off.. u can never get that back... so to each it's own..

I dont have the statistics on failure rates for any weight loss surgery but nothing is 100% but I am sure you are already aware of that. As far as the band migrating in your body...the only thing that I can think that she was talking about is if the band slips. If it does slip its still on your stomach just not in the correct spot and could cause problems. And if you have the correct restriction you wont be able to cheat or else you will vomit or be uncomfortable. I feel that with any weight loss surgery there are risks and the options to cheat not just with the band. if you are set on getting the band dont let anyone else try to change your mind or doubt your decision. you have to decide what is best for you.

Good luck!

I dont have the statistics on failure rates for any weight loss surgery but nothing is 100% but I am sure you are already aware of that. As far as the band migrating in your body...the only thing that I can think that she was talking about is if the band slips. If it does slip its still on your stomach just not in the correct spot and could cause problems. And if you have the correct restriction you wont be able to cheat or else you will vomit or be uncomfortable. I feel that with any weight loss surgery there are risks and the options to cheat not just with the band. if you are set on getting the band dont let anyone else try to change your mind or doubt your decision. you have to decide what is best for you.

Good luck!

She is prob. speaking of erosion.. when the band is too tight.. for too long like if u continue to have fills and it just gets tighter and tighter then it will erode into your stomach this takes years to happen so i have read... I saw that on big medicine when this lady was banded not with the lap band but some other type of tool and it grew inside of her stomach.. and she was going in to get the gastric done because she was no longer loosing weight..

Edited by mstrina27

wow that really does sound scary but fortunately not all truth. Yes the band can slip but it doesn't happen often. Even with the RNY you can eat the wrong things and create a whole other set of problems. Reseach this on the net You'll find out that mal-nutrishion is the most common problem with RNY. Seriously would you want someone to cut into you bowel just so you can eat whatever you want. Not me!!! I have had to have bowel surgeries for other reasons and let me tell the complications are no fun. That is exactly why I have chosen the band. Actually the statistics say that bander and Rny'ers after 3 yr have less then a 5% weight loss difference and success rate. I'm in this for the long haul and you sound young so think about the long term effect of a factual condition, Mal-nutrition. Personally I think you made the right choice. Make a commitment to yourself to be trully healthy with the least amount of invasion as possible. Good luck to you I go in on 4/10 and I can't wait.

In brief: no, it isn't. How could the band "migrate" in your body? It's locked around your stomach. It can slip or erode into your stomach, but she makes it sound like it could end up around a kidney or something. Getting the band carries some risk. All weigh-loss surgery does. Cutting into your stomach and/or intestines also carries risk.

High failure rate? Nope. Do other WLS have higher success rates one year out? Yes, but after 2-3 years post-op, the results are about the same. I can't quote the stats at the moment since I'm at work, but I'm sure someone else on here will or can.

Is it easier to cheat? Maybe. It depends on the person. RNY requires changes in eating habits too. For some people, RNY is the better choice. For others, it's lapband. Whatever your choice, it should be an informed one. Good luck with whatever you decide!