Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. said I need to diet

JillS,

Did you ever feel restriction, I don't know if I've read your threads before or if it was someone else who had a similar problem. I still think there is something weird going on if you can eat as much as you want and the doctor is looking at you like there's something wrong with you!

Physically if you eating Proteins etc... and not "slider" foods you would be vomiting by now.

I know just after surgery in August I was swollen even though there was nothing in my 10cc band so it was difficult to get anything down but a month later I got my first fill and I think in my "head" I thought I should feel restriction but actually they put less than a cc in because they thought I had the 4 cc band. Second fill same thing, thought I had the smaller band so less than a cc again so for the first three months after surgery I had no restriction and finally saw the surgeon and told him I could eat normally and he found out by withdrawing all the ccs that I had very little in and then he zapped me with 3.5 and I finally felt restriction.

Now, I'm not a prize student for many reasons, one being that I've put back all the weight I had lost during the Medifast phase prior to surgery but I'm still trying to figure out what the problems are. Could be I'm not taking my diabetes meds.

I still need more fills and have had a couple more, one was an over-fill which I've gotten into previously on other threads but now I'm waiting to get filled again in two weeks.

I know some people seem to get filled and lose weight and it's a breeze, well seems that way anyway but if you don't feel the fill physically there's got to be something wrong, second opinion maybe? What else can you do? Good luck brandyII

I have never felt any restriction. I only eat 3 meals as per dr's orders. I try and count calories and eat the Protein first then veggie's and fruit. It's hard without restriction. I know I eat more than I should. I need the help from the band. I can't do it alone. If I could I wouldn't have been banded.

The dr. won't fill you if your not hungry. I'm never hungry. I would hate to lie about it but I think that's what will happen if I want restriction.

I going to see a therapist on Wed. sure hope he can help.

Did you lose the 30 pounds prior to surgery? Have you lost any since surgery? It's still odd to me that your doctor will not fill you. My surgeon or fill person has never asked me if I was hungry. They assumed that if you were still eating and not having that tight feeling that you needed more ccs. I have the 10cc band and only have about 4ccs right now. I've felt the fullness from the band but I've also had cravings a lot for sweets etc... and now am focusing on Protein and am feeling full. I could get a fill in the next two weeks and will try it again.

I know weight gain or weight issues in general can have some psychological issues attached to them but it seems that physically you're not feeling it the restriction and I don't understand your doctor's position on this.

Therapy is great but the therapist might also help you to get the message across to your doctor that something is not right and he needs to check it out. It's definitely puzzling to me! Good luck, brandyII.

JillS,

Also it's too soon to give up and wish you weren't banded. Maybe the first fill isn't supposed to feel tight, I'm not sure because mine was under filled in error the first two times. But I also had bad cravings on top of it so I totally blew it in the beginning. It's been seven months for me and I put back all the weight I had lost prior to surgery and I still haven't jumped ship. I've really wanted to though, lol. Things will work out, you've lost 30 pounds and haven't put it on and to me that's a great accomplishment! brandyII

My doc will only do 3 fills, says that is all it should take, seems like he has it down, does your dr. charge for the fills or are they included in the surgery?

I am so discouraged, I have lost a total of 26 pounds, that have been lost since December and I cannot get below that!! I have had 3 fills and one very unpleasant overfill which sent me to the er for an unfil. I have been blowing off my Dr appts since then and I feel like why did I bother. I have had some goodies. More lately since I feel like it is not even working anyhow. If I could stick to a diet I would not hev needed the surgery. I am pissed and completely discouraged.

I am identifying with your situation! I'm losing very slowly, since "being banded on January 30, '08) and was able to eat without much of a restriction. BUT, on my second fill recently, I experienced for the first time, what the banding is supposed to do. Finally!

Yesterday, I was feeling that old attitude, "I don't care, I feel sad so I'm gonna eat." I ate a sensible dinner, and then decided to add on some bread and butter. That went down well, so I got another piece of bread, buttered it and BAM! It wouldn't go down! I got scared because my swallowing of the extra food came to a complete halt. There literally was no way I could continue to eat.

That inability to over-eat was due, I believe, to my second fill that was done this past Friday. I'm glad this happened because until just this week, I feel I could have eaten mostly any amount, though I kept myself from doing that.

I do believe I will continue to lose slowly. I mean, the wieght's GOT to come off eventually. But, yeah, my doctor told me what I already know and have been doing. Ex. no soda, ice cream, sweets, etd. I don't think he believes me that I don't eat that stuff anymore.

Went for my first fill on 3/26. Still can eat anything. Dr. was not happy that I can eat said I need to diet. I thought the band was to help with that. It's hard not to eat when that's all you know. I'm trying but it's very hard and I'm getting depressed about it. Don't know what to do. I need help!

JillS, sounds like you're in a similar situation to what I had and I still think that there is a physical reason why you're not feeling restriction although seeing the therapist along with this journey is still a good thing and something I do also. Sometimes we need as much support as we can get!!! I still am thinking if your doctor refuses to deal with this situation that you may need a second opinion somehow! Maybe you could discuss this situation with your primary physician, just a thought. I'm having a hard time coming up with the best idea for you and can't imagine my surgeon not believing me when I say I don't feel restriction. Anyway keep us posted, as you can see you've opened up the flood gates to other people experiencing similar problems and that's a GOOD THING! As you're helping others by discussing your problems openly and honestly, keep trying to get the answers you need, brandyII!

After reading all these posts (I haven't been banded yet) the thought comes to mind that weight loss is a freakin' hard thing to do. In saying that, it's a struggle. I'm not expecting a magic cure (although if it were offered I'd take it!), but I know that it will still take an incredible amount of will power to get this weight off.

About 10 years ago I lost 100 lbs with diet and exercise. It was SOOOO hard! I had to push myself every day and it was never easy. I'm gearing up for the same thing. I have to do this to save my life. If that doesn't put the burning urge in you, nothing will. Screw the tuna fish sandwiches, pizza, ice cream and pie...death is not an option.

I've been trying to walk again and it's horrible. I go for 20 minutes and then come back home. BUT...I'm out there huffin' and puffin' all the way. As I was coming back home yesterday after my walk I was pretty down on myself for being such a slow poke and it's like God said, "I know it's hard". Wow. Okay. It's hard. So what. Most things in life that are worthwhile are hard.

Then the thought hit me - I'm out there very overweight and I'm still walking. Okay. And then another thought - it's like I'm a normal weight person carrying two 50 lb bags of dogfood (the other 30 lbs are divided between my legs dragging 15 lbs of dogfood - lol). Imagine going for a walk carrying huge bags of dogfood. That's crazy!

When I put it into perspective I felt pretty proud of myself.

We can do this. The weight might not fly off, but it didn't fly on either.

Hang in there. Keep the faith. =)