Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

Well . . . I've been researching and researching the Lap-Band procedure and am SERIOUSLY considering it but I'm SCARED to DEATH! I have 100 pounds to lose (I'd be happy with 75) and I am at my wits end on how to do it. When I read the information about the risks of having the Lap-Band on the official Lap-Band website, I got cold feet. It said that of 299 people who had the Lap-Band, 88% needed to go back in for more surgery for various complications! That's HUGE! I'm concerned about having to be off work too long and I'm afraid of the vomiting problem . . . have any of you been out w/friends or in a social setting and you can't hold food or a drink down and then you vomit! I'd be so embarrassed! Also, when/if you have to go back in for more surgeries, do you have to pay for them or are they covered under the initial payment of about $15,000? My insurance doesn't cover any of this so I'm afraid if I have trouble w/the surgery and have to go in for more, it'll all be out of pocket and I'm afraid to risk that since I'm using my savings. Can any of you give me any advice on how to proceed?:thumbup:

Hi everyone,

Well . . . I've been researching and researching the Lap-Band procedure and am SERIOUSLY considering it but I'm SCARED to DEATH! I have 100 pounds to lose (I'd be happy with 75) and I am at my wits end on how to do it. When I read the information about the risks of having the Lap-Band on the official Lap-Band website, I got cold feet. It said that of 299 people who had the Lap-Band, 88% needed to go back in for more surgery for various complications! That's HUGE! I'm concerned about having to be off work too long and I'm afraid of the vomiting problem . . . have any of you been out w/friends or in a social setting and you can't hold food or a drink down and then you vomit! I'd be so embarrassed! Also, when/if you have to go back in for more surgeries, do you have to pay for them or are they covered under the initial payment of about $15,000? My insurance doesn't cover any of this so I'm afraid if I have trouble w/the surgery and have to go in for more, it'll all be out of pocket and I'm afraid to risk that since I'm using my savings. Can any of you give me any advice on how to proceed?:thumbup:

Hello! I understand your concerns with having lap band surgery. As with any surgery, there are risks. All I can tell you is how my experience has been. I had surgery in Sept. 2007 and have lost 76 lbs so far. Things have went really well for me. I now have 6.5cc in my 10cc band. I do have some restriction, but I'm still not at my sweet spot. I have never gotten anything stuck and I have never PB'ed or vomited before, yet. All I can tell you is, if I have to put up with the occasional PB, it's well worth it for me. I feel soooo much better and I love my band.

In the end, no one can tell you if this surgery is right for you, except for you. Keep researching and do what is right for you. Have you been to a seminar yet? If not, I advise you to go to one. There's a lot of good info at these seminars. The best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

Oh, can you tell me which website you got the 88% stats from? That just sounds way too high to me.

Have you attende a seminar yet? That was a turning point for me. I also have talked with patients too. This really is a *tool* and to be successful (from what I am understanding) you have to be willing to under go lifestyle changes. Are you ready to do that? I also have about 100 pounds to loose, and I realize that I can not do it alone. I have looked into support groups to help.

As for the insurance, what I did was called my insurance and asked them what I needed to do. They had me call surgery pre-certification and I got my requirements in order. Mine **seems** so much easier than most, but I have not submited my paperwork yet for approval. I am still working on all the **requirements**

I say you should go for it! The lap band is great because you don't put the weight you lose back on. You should find a good doctor and just research the success rate/ complications of that doctor. There are so many great surgeons out there, so don't be scared!!!:) I wish you the best!

I know where you are coming from, I even have a date set,and I am still not sure. I set the date without all the facts. I thought I could eat the same foods I have always eaten just smaller amounts, but I asked the question How much and what do you eat? The responce from some was such a small amount of food like the one claimed she eats 5 almonds for lunch and she was full, I'm not sure I want to bring on a kind of forced starvation. I turned to Doctors they tell me alot of what people are claiming is'nt true, that they probably eat more but just are not saying, I do not know why they would lie. The people on this site are sooo frendly and helpful. In the mean time I have started to diet I am trying several kinds and I have lost 20 pounds during my research. I might not meet the weight requirement if my life style change sticks, only 5 more pounds to be under a 40 bmi. I am going to a semniar to hear from doctors and hopfuly meet people who already have the lap-band face to face. I gained 100 pounds of my weight over the past 3 or 4 years and I ahve never tried to diet, that is another reason I am wondering if I tried hard enough to lose it.

Yes you should do it!! 88%??? that sounds really high. When I did my research I found that that most complications rates were under 3%. I did have a complication, my port flipped. The revision surgery was covered by my surgeon as part of the intial surgery...most surgeons give you a "warranty" period where they will give you fills and and provide any needed revision surgery.

You should do it! I am so thankful I did! The only thing I regret is not getting it sooner.

That sounds like a very high percentage. It seems to me I read the national complication rate is in the single digits, maybe you can get some information in the complication section. Good luck

find a good doc and don't worry. sometimes you have to take risks, and this one is well worth taking. we were all scared to be banded. but we did it so that we could improve the quality of our lives.

I had surgery in September of 2007 and have lost 84 pounds. I have went from a size 24 to a size 12. I was the same way at first with the undecisiveness. It is a personal decision, but I was very fearful of the gastric bypass and did not like the idea of them rerouting my digestive system. A lot of people comment on how healthy I look now and how I don't look "gray" like those who have had the gastric. As a matter of fact my husband was so impressed that he actually had the surgery March 3 and has lost 33 pounds.

I am the type to research things to death before I make a decision. I know now I made the right decision. It is hard being on the other side of the fence, but know I have not had any complications and I feel 20 years younger.

Good luck on your journey!!!

88% sounded high to me, too, so I went and looked it up. I'll quote the information below. Keep in mind what they have mentioned in this quote: slippage and port issues are less common now due to new procedures in band placement.

IMHO, seeking out an experienced surgeon attached to an office that offers excellent aftercare would be your best bet at success.

Patients can experience complications after surgery. Most complications are not serious but some may require hospitalization and/or re-operation. In the United States clinical study, with 3-year follow-up reported, 88% of the 299 patients had one or more adverse events, ranging from mild, moderate, to severe. Nausea and vomiting (51%), gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation) (34%), band slippage/pouch dilatation (24%) and stoma obstruction (stomach-band outlet blockage) (14%) were the most common post-operative complications. In the study, 25% of the patients had their band systems removed, two-thirds of which were following adverse events. Esophageal dilatation or dysmotility (poor esophageal function) occurred in 11% of patients, the long-term effects of which are currently unknown. Constipation, diarrhea and dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) occurred in 9% of the patients. In 9% of the patients, a second surgery was needed to fix a problem with the band or initial surgery. In 9% of the patients, there was an additional procedure to fix a leaking or twisted access port. The access port design has been improved. Four out of 299 patients (1.3%) had their bands erode into their stomachs. These bands needed to be removed in a second operation. Surgical techniques have evolved to reduce slippage. Surgeons with more laparoscopic experience and more experience with these procedures report fewer complications.

Lapband.com - Risk Information

I'll add this: I'm really glad I chose to get the band. And I'm very careful with my band, because I don't ever want to lose it. In particular, avoiding getting too tight (increases risk of slippage, blockage, reflux) and avoiding overeating (increases risk of pouch stretching & esophageal issues). But there is always SOME risk, and like others have said, the risk of being obese long-term carries its own set of risks, some of which are pretty scary.

Edited by MollyMolly

MollyMolly, thanks for posting that quote. 88% going back into surgery would not be worth it to me.

smr001--adverse events don't mean surgery every time...I have vomited once since my surgery Feb 15, I believe it was due to a medication change, not my band. If I were in a study about the band, I would have reported it and it would have been recorded as an adverse event. All events go into the stats. I was involved in a drug study once, and I had to keep a journal of everything odd/bad that I felt. This includes headaches from which I suffer on a regular basis.

Only you can decide if this is right for you. Go speak to a surgeon and talk over the complication rates so that you truly understand the risks. There are also support groups where you can talk with patients who have been through this surgery.

Weigh out the pros and cons. You'll make the decision that is best for you.

Denise