Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3wks post op and not losing weight

I was banded 3/07. I followed the liquid diet and went back to the doc on the 18th and he put me on mushies.

I have only been eating a Protein Shake for Breakfast, maybe a sf pudding mid morning, mashed potatoes for lunch or cup of Soup, and then a small piece of tilapia steak and possibly mashed potatoes(1/4 cup) for dinner and then another Protein shake before bedtime. I have been walking at least 30 min in the evening 5 days a week.

I dont seem to be losing any weight and I thought I would. I pay attention and as soon as I start feeling full, I quit eating. I also drink at least 1/2 gal of Fluid a day..mostly in the form of Crystal Light.

Anyone have any suggestions?:thumbup:

hi,

welcome to LBT.

the time post op is for HEALING and anchoring your band into place, not for weight loss. any weight loss is just a bonus.

sounds like you are eating well, how is your movement? are you exercising at all? i know that really helped me post op.

good luck.

Oh by the way. I also had surgery 3/7/08. Please remember you aren't even three weeks until tomorrow :)

I have a desk job that involves a lot of sitting,,,,although at times I walk around quite a bit.

Im just a little discouraged because of not losing weight much like others seem to have done during their first few weeks.

My doc said the 2 Protein Shakes a day is enough at 21gr apiece plus the Tilapia has about 20gr Protein and then whatever else I eat....its definitely more than 60gr a day, but it varies on how much more.

My first fill is supposed to be April 1st and he said I would have to go back to liquids a few days to see how it goes.....if all goes well the next fill is supposed to be about the first of May.

Its getting closer to summer and I just want to be able to fit into shorts. My daughter just took it into her stubborn head and has lost about 25 to 30 lbs since Christmas just by cutting portions and drinking water..upping the exercise a little..only eating til she is full....but she is only14!!

I want to be healthy losing it though, so Ive been eating just the things on my list and in the portions designated.

Guess I need to do something to get my metabolism fired up! More walking or yardwork!(doc wont let me do anything but walk til after next appt, though)

ok, so walk outside. join a gym and get on the treadmill. start slow, but increase your activity.

you want weight loss? you need to work for optimal loss.

I have only been eating a Protein shake for breakfast, maybe a sf pudding mid morning, mashed potatoes for lunch or cup of Soup, and then a small piece of tilapia steak and possibly mashed potatoes(1/4 cup) for dinner and then another Protein Shake before bedtime.
Carb, carb, carb, carb, carb. Artificial sweetner. Some Protein. Try cutting the carbs, or at least try to get some complex carbs instead.
I have been walking at least 30 min in the evening 5 days a week.
Unless you're power walking, or walking with weights, etc. this is probably not going to do much for weightloss. Yes, it's good for you and you should do it, but walking for 30 mins is not above-and-beyond movement, it's more like a bare minimum, and unless you have the "power" there you're heart rate is likely not elevating significantly.
I dont seem to be losing any weight and I thought I would. I pay attention and as soon as I start feeling full, I quit eating. I also drink at least 1/2 gal of Fluid a day..mostly in the form of Crystal Light.
Full schmull. Take "feel full" and flush it down the toilet. Then try to focus on "no longer hungry." There's a lot of food between "not hungry" and "full" - and most of us don't have normal concepts of "full" anyway.

Crystal Light is loaded with artifical sweetners and all kinds of other chemicals. Among other things, they're known weightloss stallers. Try Water and see if you feel any better.

But all of that is to answer your questions. The real issue is that you shouldn't be worried about losing weight now, and especially losing to whatever degree you thought you would. You should be worried about nothing, and just healing.

I understand increasing the walking and the speed, but what exactly do you mean about increasing the complex carbs?

these are the things my doc said to eat on the mushie part. I can eat yogurt instead of the SF pudding and increase the Water instead of the Crystal Light w/artificial sweeteners. He doesnt have me on vegetables yet, although I have been eating 1/4 to 1/2 c of mixed carrots and peas occasionally and making sure they are chewed well. Occasionally I eat oatmeal (instant plain) instead of the Protein Shake first thing in the morning or occasionally Cr of wheat (plain)

Not sure what else to eat at this point. V8 juice?

This is why you don't worry about weightloss during recovery. Weightloss-friendly foods are not really recovery-friendly foods. Many recovery foods are low carb, which is almost always high fat/calorie. Likewise, low calorie is almost always high carb.

Someone already posted this, but it's right. Any weight lost between surgery and restriction should be seen as "bonus" -- not something you go into the surgery expecting.

Increasing complex carbs -- I pretty much mean just what I said, so I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting to know. If you were eating those foods in weightloss modes, I'd say you have way too many simple carbs and need to replace them with complex.

How long would you say recovery lasts. I was banded at the same time and I really just started walking with a 2-mile tape this week as I had my gallbladder out also and felt awful last week.

It varies so much from person to person. For me it was about 5 or 6 days until I felt "normal" but a good 5 or 6 weeks before I felt ready to transition into normal things (which was also the timing of my first fill). I lost weight before my fill, and I took it as a bonus. I didn't worry about extra dieting before then. I was probably actually recovering for months.

Thanks. I have lost well but i think that has to do with being on Optifast for two weeks prior and then the Protein only drink for one week and I have done very well though and I think mentally that is what keeps us going. I did not even hate Easter dinner. My devilled egg was wonderful and for the first time probably ever, I didn't feel guilty, like I had overeaten and how could I. You know all the bad feelings associated with enjoying a meal. this is still the best tool and thing that i could have done for myself ever.

just remember that now is the time for recovery - not weight loss. i know it's hard. i'm 3 weeks out and having a hard time remembering that, as well. look forward to your fills and all of the restriction that will come along with them!

I called my physician's office this morning and requested that they bump me up to the 7th of April, which is just over 4weeks but i am not feeling full at all and seem to be looking for food every 2 hours, not 3-4. They had no problem bringing me in but stated for me to stay at 2 ounces of food 3 times a day plus my one snack