Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread is going to be sooo inappropriate!

Mac,

I did look into DS but the surgeon is far away and eventually I canceled my appt. with him a few months ago. (I'm not affraid of being stanky) I was going for the stats then. Also I personally don't do "anyathons" but I know my brothers do and 1,500 cals doesn't sound like enough to sustain you for training, I could be wrong, just concerned for your health.

BJean,

The only time I feel a compulsion to eat is when I'm PMSing or when I was banded. I always had in the back of my head I needed food, good food but I couldn't eat good food so I ate whatever food I could get in. When my band was first removed I noticed that I didn't eat as much as I did pre-banded because my stomach had shrunk over the 14 months banded. Since then I definitely eat more but find my hormonal eating is when I tend to overeat. Once I get my period I feel so normal again.

We're all different but just getting to eat healthy food again was worth the removal to me. As you know I didn't revise and never lost any weight so I'm still in "limbo" stage. I think having it covered by insurance makes things much easier also and anyone who is self pay has a much harder time with these kinds of decisions unless they they have unlimited monies. I wish you well Nancy.

Thanks Mac. I just worry about my friend who is getting the sleeve because I know how she likes to eat. She eats out just about every day, and I just don't know how she is going to deal with taking the majority of her meal home. She is already talking about how after she has the sleeve, it won't bother her to eat small portions, because she will know she will be able to eat again soon.

I wonder about that for me as well, because I eat out often too.

But, I am used to eating like a bandster, so it will not be as big of a shock to me as it will be to her. It really bothers me right now that I am so loose that I can really eat anything I want to eat, and have to force myself to cut way back on my portion sizes.

I remember when I was a lot tighter, and I told my daughter that eating was just too much trouble. I really liked that feeling.

Nancy, Yes, my daughter's pregnancy does have everything to do with the 40 lbs she gained. She hasn't lost anything that she gained during her pregnancy.She assumed it would be easy to take her pregnancy weight off. She doesn't dump like she used to, so being able to eat sweets again is her downfall. There are many people with gastric bypass who get too thin and look terrible, but I really don't know anyone who stays that way long term.

The gal that leads our support group had GP 10 years ago, and she is one of the only people I know that has kept all the weight off. BUT she works out like a mad woman and does not eat any sweets, and hardly any carbs. She is really good about weighing herself every day, and if she gains 5 lbs, she puts herself back on 4 Protein shakes a day. She reminds us all the time

that WLS is just a tool, and no surgery is going to do

all the work.

Edited by Oregondaisy

I was going for the stats then.

I think that's why a lot of people who get the DS get it. The stats.

Also I personally don't do "anyathons" but I know my brothers do and 1,500 cals doesn't sound like enough to sustain you for training,

Well, but they are guys. :thumbup:

Seriously, when I was working out 2x a week, and got to goal with Nutri/system, I was on about 1300 calories to maintain. When I went up to 1500, I started gaining.

And now I'm older, have yo-yoed about 5 more times and I'd be surprised if I need more than 1200 calories with regular working out.

But I watch all my numbers like a hawk so, if I need more, it will be obvious and I'll eat more. It's not that hard. Unfortunately. :tt2:

She is already talking about how after she has the sleeve, it won't bother her to eat small portions, because she will know she can eat again in an hour. IMO, that is just "stinkin thinkin"

It is, but she's a pre-op. Most of them obsess over this and try to talk themselves and their surgeons into getting a bigger sleeve than normal. Not because they are married to food, oh no, but because so-and-so said they'll have less complications. (Even though clinical evidence doesn't support that.)

But once they have the surgery, most them get that switch thrown in their brain too. Hopefully, your friend will too.

Thanks Mac. I just worry about my friend who is getting the sleeve because I know how she likes to eat. She eats out just about every day, and I just don't know how she is going to deal with taking the majority of her meal home. She is already talking about how after she has the sleeve, it won't bother her to eat small portions, because she will know she can eat again in an hour. IMO, that is just "stinkin thinkin"

I wonder about that for me as well, because I eat out often too.

But, I am used to eating like a bandster, so it will not be as big of a shock to me as it will be to her. It really bothers me right now that I am so loose that I can really eat anything I want to eat, and have to force myself to cut way back on my portion sizes.

I remember when I was a lot tighter, and I told my daughter that eating was just too much trouble. I really liked that feeling.

Nancy, Yes, my daughter's pregnancy does have everything to do with the 40 lbs she gained. She hasn't lost anything that she gained during her pregnancy.She assumed it would be easy to take her pregnancy weight off. She doesn't dump like she used to, so being able to eat sweets again is her downfall. There are many people with gastric bypass who get too thin and look terrible, but I really don't know anyone who stays that way long term.

The gal that leads our support group had GP 10 years ago, and she is one of the only people I know that has kept all the weight off. BUT she works out like a mad woman and does not eat any sweets, and hardly any carbs. She is really good about weighing herself every day, and if she gains 5 lbs, she puts herself back on 4 Protein shakes a day. She reminds us all the time

that WLS is just a tool, and no surgery is going to do

all the work.

I think a lot of people just don't get the basic concept of WLS. It's not a magical fix for obesity, it's a tool to use while you learn better eating habits. I question if your friend really has the right mind set for surgery.

I'm the same way as your support group leader. I weigh daily. I used to give myself 2# either way and then I was on top of it. That was unrealistic, I can gain 4# from eating salty Chinese food, it's not fat but Water. So now i give myself 5# either way and I'm all over it. I have to do this, if I don't I let things get out of hand and I never want to lose 132# again. I know I'll have to do this for the rest of my life and I'm fine with that. At least I have things under control now, I didn't before.

I really don't *have* to weigh myself daily, I can tell by my clothes at this point. If I gain 5# I go up a size in clothes and to me that is so weird since at my highest weight it took 30-40# to lose a size.

If I gain 5# I go up a size in clothes and to me that is so weird since at my highest weight it took 30-40# to lose a size.

Hey, we were talking about this at a support group meeting I was at today. One of the things I love about being in the regular sizes is that the differences between sizes are so small that you can get really tailored and fitted clothes. Unlike the Plus sizes where you can go up and down by a lot of weight and still be in the same size!

Ugh, I'd definitely be up a size if I put on 5lb. I dont let my weight vary by more than 2. I'm very lucky, my weight stays VERY stable, it never goes down, but it doesnt usually go up by more than 1lb unless its period time. I take action at 1lb, I cut back for a few days.

And I absolutely NEVER miss my exercise. I really believe that the true benefit of exercise in relation to weight is in preventing regain, I am amazed at how far I can push things without gaining weight, and I've had the same experience at times in my life before when I've been a regular exerciser for long periods.

It'd be PANIC stations here if I gained 5lb. I dont even want to think about it happening. I must not be prone to Water weight gain becuase you're right, you're not gaining and losing fat really.

Ugh, I'd definitely be up a size if I put on 5lb. I dont let my weight vary by more than 2. I'm very lucky, my weight stays VERY stable, it never goes down, but it doesnt usually go up by more than 1lb unless its period time. I take action at 1lb, I cut back for a few days.

And I absolutely NEVER miss my exercise. I really believe that the true benefit of exercise in relation to weight is in preventing regain, I am amazed at how far I can push things without gaining weight, and I've had the same experience at times in my life before when I've been a regular exerciser for long periods.

It'd be PANIC stations here if I gained 5lb. I dont even want to think about it happening. I must not be prone to Water weight gain becuase you're right, you're not gaining and losing fat really.

I guess I am lucky, I do not have to exercise to maintain. I maintain a 20BMI without effort. But I still weigh daily to make sure that continues.

Chinese food does it to me every bloody time. One Chinese meal and I've gained 4-5# in Water weight.

It is nice to find someone else that thinks as I do regarding weighing daily and regain.

I think a lot of people just don't get the basic concept of WLS. It's not a magical fix for obesity, it's a tool to use while you learn better eating habits. I question if your friend really has the right mind set for surgery.

I question it as well. Just yesterday she talked about how she can't wait to be able to eat a snickers bar and still lose weight. I have given up talking to her about it. Her insurance has denied her, so it's up in the air as to whether she will win the appeal.

I am really trying to figure out how to get a revision beginning of April. I will be in AZ anyway, so it's just a matter of getting down to San Diego. I am so afraid of going down there and having him tell me he won't do a revision surgery for one reason or another. I am going to call him Monday and see what is required. If all that is required is the fact that I still have an overweight bmi after 2 years of being banded, that would be great. I don't think another fill would ever get me to a normal bmi.

Denise, good luck with getting a revision. Keep us posted on if you get approved. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

I would love to have one, I just don't have the means. I really, really hate the band. For instance, I have virtually no fill in mine right now, but have pb'd every single thing I put in my mouth today. I have no idea why. This just isn't a healthy way for me to live. I am at my wits end.

I know there are some doctors who will do financing. But, unfortunately that isn't an option for me either. I could afford it, but due to me and my husband both coming from bad marriages where our spouses royally screwed up our lives and credit, it will be awhile before I can get my credit improved to where I could get approved for a loan.

I am not worried about insurance approval. I am worried that the Dr. will say my band is functioning for now. I can't afford to take off work, get down there and not get the revision. I will self pay, and it would be a drag to sell stocks at a loss and have it be for nothing if he says I don't need a revision. I hate my band too. I have no restriction, but I am worried if I get the fill, I'll probably be puking in my sleep again.