Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bulging and pain - Help!!

I was banded March 19 (so I'm 6 days out). liquids and blended food go down fine. I had a terrible Constipation issue and a call to the doc had me taking magnesium citrate to resolve it. (that was a real joy...ugh)

My concern is that people seem to be going back to work less than 2 weeks post-op and I can't even imagine doing that. I still have so much pain and it's all centered in one spot on my left side. At the same site as the pain, I can feel the port (or something) bulging beneath my skin. Is this normal? I educated myself so thoroughly pre-op (over 2 years even) and don't recall seeing anything like this. I saw something on another thread about herniation, so now I'm really worried. I don't want to call back to the Center if I'm just being paranoid.

I appreciate any help/advice you can provide!

V

Hello V,

I was banded on Monday, 3/17 and released the next day. I feel good, but I also experienced pain on my left side for about a week. When I spoke with my doctor three days after surgery he said it is because all the major work was done on that side so you will feel more pain on that side. I was given liquid colace to help with Constipation, but it upset my stomach so much I had to stop and four days later it happened naturally. I attended a group meeting and found out some people can feel the port it is usually after they have reached their goal weight. For work I went back on Friday of the same work. CRAZY I know but I had too! I have a desk job so it was not bad. I am started back full time after one week, but walking and moving at home helped me feel better. Please call the doctor or nurse to ask more questions and get the help you need. Best!

I'm not a doctor and unfortunately I don't even play one on TV but that doesn't sound good to my laymans brain. *big hug* I think you should call your doctor even if you think it's just paranoia. It's better to be safe than sorry hon.

I panicked about this, too. My port incision was (and still is) so swollen. I could feel my port and it was swelled to a point it felt like there was a boiled egg under my skin. At my 1 week check up the Dr. assured me it was fine and was not a hernia. Now I am 6 weeks out, and it has gone down some, but still seems more swollen than I expected. He said sometimes it can take as long as 3 months to go down. Hopefully this will rest your fears some, but I would definately have your Dr. take a look at it as well.

Bulging could be anything from swelling to -- well, anything. If you feel you're in excessive pain and not recovering as you would expect, call surgeon first, post here fifth or sixth.

I had my surgery 12/4/07 and still occasionally have pain, especially around the port area. Not only can I feel the port, I can feel the band itself. I don't know why! I questioned the doctor before surgery about feeling the port, and his reply was "well, if people feel it, they aren't complaining about it!". There's just something about my particular anatomy, I guess, that allows me to feel the devices. I don't like it, but aside from having it removed, there's nothing to be done about it.

Back to the pain issue, some after a fill is normal, but continuous pain might be indicative of an infection. Do you have a fever, or even redness at the site? If so, call your doctor or nurse line and go in for them to look at it!

I had some of the internal stiches come to the surface and went in between fills to have them look at it. Don't hesitate to use the resources available!

Ok, what my doctor always tells me

"Better to be paranoid and fine, then not do anything at all and die"

Call your surgeons office!!

(Forgot to mention, my PCP has a very morbid sense of humor, we get along great)

I can feel my band, too, but my surgery was March 20. I can cup my hand over the incision area where the band was placed, and there is a large "lump" right at the top of my stomach. My port site is under my right arm, below my bra strap line. Totally different location than what a lot of people have posted. But I can't tell it's even there. I had a padded sticker over the spot for the first week, my hubby joked that that's where the inflation needle goes to make my boobs bigger. He thought the padded sticker looked like the port of a basketball, but I was relieved when it came off in the shower and I can't see anything on my skin. Can't feel it either, but the actual band is still very uncomfortable and movements like reaching up and sitting straight up make it hurt. I hope it's just normal swelling after surgery.