Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit a 3 month plateau..need unbiased opinions

I had my surgery 11/15/07 and my first fill on 1/21/08. In that time I went form 278 to 235. :crying: Since my fill I have not dropped a pound. I spoke with the nutritionist and they said up my Protein. A month later they tell me to drop it.

I dont know what to do and I am starting to develop old eating habits of only eating very small meals and workign out like crazy. My normal routine is to walk 2 miles a day during my lunch 5 times a week. 2 miles takes me about 30 minutes. I woulr out at the gym in teh evenings for an hour or so doing weights and cardio. I have dropped 3 pant sizes. I drink 70 oz a Water a day, sometimes more. I eat the meal that they tell you to eat around the 6 week mark.

Since my fill I have been at a plateau. I know with the band you will loos it slower then roux-en-y, but I have to say it, " I want to see results!" Even if it is only 1 meesly pound. I dont feel that I am getting the results from the nutritionist that I want.

Any Suggestions? :confused2:

i had the same issue.. i work out like crazy..and i've been the same weight for a month now,,, i'm increasing my weight training and i'm eating more than before,, per the advice of my fitness consultant at the gym, she was right... the weight seems to slowly want to come off again, i've just got to persist...and not let the eating more get out of control.. good luck and keep me posted

Congratulations on the weight you've lost so far -- 43 lbs is a great start!

One possible course of action:

If you are not already doing so, track your food on something like FitDay.com for a couple weeks. Everything that passes through your lips, even if it's just a carrot slice while you're making dinner.

I know it's a pain to do, but I've found it very helpful for fine-tuning.

How many calories are you consuming? You are working out and your body needs energy (food). If you consume too few calories you can stop losing weight.

I have the same issue, I went to see a Doctor of Naturopathy, based on my medical history and a series of tests, she recommended a 21 liver detox cleanse (an elimination diet and supplements) now that the cleanse is over she recommended i take B12, a herbal thyroid stabilizer, Vitamin D drops, flax seed oil, and Omega 3 oils. I am hoping this will give my metabolism a boost and get me off the plateau.

My advice to you is to seek help from a medical professional, a kinesiologist, dietition, or someone else who is educated in this area and knows your medical history.

While people try to be helpful with advice on what worked for them, or what worked for their friend etc, I personally wanted a real MEDICAL opinion.

Good luck, I know your frustration.

I have dropped 3 pant sizes.

That is HUGE!! When my scale doesn't move, I get the tape measure out. Are you taking your measurements - Arms/legs/Waist?? I found when I wasn't dropping the lbs - the inches were coming off like crazy; with all the working out I was/am doing.

Try not to get back into poor eating habits - mix up your meals some / change your Protein around. I find like with exercise, I can't "eat" the same things all the time (which I'm prone to do). I stick to eating 3 high Protein meals a day & if I add a snack, it's a low cal/low carb one.

I think it's easy to get in a rut with exercise / food - that a simple change up is all it takes sometimes, that and getting a metabolic checkup that Michee suggests...

Good Luck!!

All the normal advice..........

up your Water, lower your simple carbs, up your protien..........

My body has definate set points and 224 was one of them.........

I'm obviously at another one because I've been in the 190's since January.. and even though I'm a bit stuck.. my sizes have continued to drop and my body has seemed to shift...

GOOD LUCK!

It took me like 6 - 8 months to get out of the 250s. I can't say for sure it was anything other than my behaviors, but I know that not much changed between then and when the weight started changing again.

On Atkins I would sometimes stall for 6+ months, even though I remained in ketosis the entire time.

ETA - those are scale reflections.

i just posted a similiar post about losing 4lbs then gaining it back. i am 4 months out now and havent lost anything in one month. it is my fault though because ive been making bad choices and i noticed that i can eat about 2 cups of food sometimes. when i was counting my calories and keeping my Protein in check i lost, maybe not every week but at least every other week. i know that my calories are more than my usual 1200 calories a day. thats what worked for me. how do you get back on track when you dont have restricion yet? i want to be strong and stick to it but it seems like when i cheat i then go on to eat bad the rest of the day. i am ready to lose another 36 lbs. any thoughts?

andrea

thanks for being there i need some encouragement

i am 4 months out now and havent lost anything in one month. it is my fault though because ive been making bad choices <snip> how do you get back on track when you dont have restricion yet? i want to be strong and stick to it but it seems like when i cheat i then go on to eat bad the rest of the day. i am ready to lose another 36 lbs. any thoughts?

It's hard to stay on track when you don't have restriction. The real answer is that you need another fill.

If for some reason that is not possible right now, I highly recommend The Beck Diet Solution book to give you some tools for staying on track until you can get another fill. (it's not a diet, it's cognative psychology)

If you didn't have really good restriction before, then it might be time to get a little more aggressive with the next fill, like getting a whole cc instead of just .5. Particularly if you are self-pay for fills or your doc has a pre-set fill schedule instead of allowing you to come in when you need to.

Good luck! You can do it!

thanks for your feedback. i know what i am doing wrong its just a matter of getting through a few days of eating right. ive already messed up this morning by eating some of my sons Cereal instead of eating my high Protein go lean cereal. so for the rest of the day i am going to be really careful. if i can do well for a few days i hope this will get me back on track. the key is when we mess up not to mess up for the rest of the day but to do well and not get discouraged right?

andrea

I agree with the advice to measure. I have only lost 25 pounds since my surgery October 26th, 2007. I thought to measure myself before surgery and I'm glad I did because I have lost 7.5 inches off my abdomen, 3"off my waist, 1.5" off my bust and 3" off my hips. I am thrilled. And it helps me feel better about the slowness of my weight loss!

Protein and Fiber first at all times. keep your protein in the range set by your nut. i log all my intake with fitday.com so i can see where my calories are coming from, what my fat/protein and carb ratios are. I know I need more protein than fat and carbs, so i make sure i balance it out.