Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summerville, SC

Angie,

I think you are doing the right thing, and I wish I had known about the lapband when I weighed 220. You will get to your goal weight so much faster b/c you have less to lose than I do. I weigh 265 now. Ughhh! I am not frustrated, it just wish I had known about the band sooner.

You know you need a fill b/c you can eat more. It's hard to explain, but you will feel the restriction after surg. b/c of the swelling. Once the swelling goes down, you have less restriction. The way Dr. Ponce explained it to me was:

The band is like a belt around your waist; as you lose weight, the belt needs to be tightened, same with the band; it needs to be tightened as you lose weight.

The fill tightens the band and gives you more restriction. After surg. once the swelling goes down, the band needs to be tightened "filled". Dr. Ponce does not do the first fill until 6 weeks post op. What about your dr.? When does he do the first fill?

I am still done 15 lbs...My first fill is May 5th. I have started walking so hopefully I will lose a little more before then. Remember the 6 weeks after surg. is time to heal, any weight loss is a bonus. At least that's what I keep telling myself ;)

Take Care, Eliza

PS: Any news from Kathy?

Eliza,

Thanks so much for replying back. I am so excited! Tomorrow, I get to go to my Pshycholgist visit! I called and they had a cancellation. This is the last step for me and then I have to wait for everything to be submitted and get word from insurance. Keep your fingers crossed that everything goes well tomorrow and I am not admitted for being crazy! LoL

My Doctor has a different approach about giving a fill. They said that once the band is in place it is a "tool", that you have to use that "tool" to lose the weight. You need to eat right and drink your Water and exercise. The nutritionist said that they dont do any restricting of the band until they see a halt in your weight loss. She said that they have had people not get a fill for a year and they have lost all the weight they needed too in that year. She said to eat 3 meals a day and two Snacks in between. She said to drink your Water all day. Sip on it all day to make sure you keep your hydration. Make sure you pick the right foods and nutrition throughout the day and you will see steady weight loss with out the fill. We shall see. She said everyone is different. She said my Doctor has never had one slip on them to where he had to go back and re-adjust it.

What does your diet consist of right now? Let me know and I can share some things that she told me. I know the first two weeks I will only be able to drink Protein shakes and water to get all the Protein and water I need. I can have hot tea and chicken broth, but I have to make sure I get in the 45mg of Protein a day. Let me know and I can email it to you.

OK, I will get off of here now. I have talked your ear off and need to get ready for bed! lol Thanks again and please keep me updated. I love hearing from you all. I havent heard from Kathy. But I have seen her posting about other things. I saw she had an incident with some Jello. I hope she is ok. Kathy, please post here and let us know how you are! Your friends from SC!

Angie

Hi girls! Thanks for thinking of me and asking about me, and yes, I have had a bit of trouble these past days. First, I encountered what you encountered, Eliza, about needing to be here but not here. DH and I actually avoided an argument based on your advice (even though I'm here, pretend I'm not). I needed help, he needed to work, so my sister stayed during the day with me Tue and Wed and my Dad was here today (thu) and will be here again tomorrow just to be with me and my 2 year old son during the day. It was just too much, and I needed to be off the hook, so to speak. So rather than having some mysterious burst of energy after banding, I got fatigued...and needed calories badly. So Wed I was doing fine until I PB'd on Jello, not regular Jello that squishes through your teeth, but a piece of the thick bottom of the bowl kind that got stuck and it hurt terribly and I PB'd it. I have had trouble ever since.

So I am concerned about dehydration at this point, but am fortunate to have had Sun through Wed with good liquid intake, perhaps 45-60 ounces total each day. That's helpful, but I'm really having trouble keeping anything down without even the smallest sip getting stuck. Yuck. So I trudge along, waiting for healing to take place enough to where I can finally get some nutrition...but plain ole fluids are fine for me right now. I hope it slowly gets better. I'll keep you two posted, thanks my band buddies!

Hey, did Panda6 have a good trip to the fair South last weekend? Anyone heard?

Kathy,

I had the same trouble it only took once...something getting stuck and then everything hurt after that...or felt like it was getting stuck. I thought maybe it was gas pain??? Who knows??? Either way, it is all gone now...3 weeks post op. I really started to feel normal last week. I am eating mushy foods, no breads or dry stuff. I still fell like I am gulping my liquids, I get sp thirsty b/c of my heart meds. diaretic/lasix. But i have ot had any pain or trouble. I am scheduled for a fill May 5th. It will be interesting to see if the "pain" returns after the fill. What's your next step? who will do your follow up? Di you like Mexico? Keep us posted. eliza

Angie, good luck with the insurance. If they deny it remember you can appeal. Has your Dr. been successful getting insurance to pay? That usually helps. I think Dr. Ponce has had luck with getting insurance to cover the lapband. for me it was not an option. Cigna would not pay. Take Care, eliza

My Dr. has had success getting them to pay. My husbands friend from work got them to pay and his bmi was only 38 and he had sleep apnea. I dont think I will have much of a problem. I hope not anyways.

Okay girls, my trauma/drama is ending and I'm getting along being banded. I have not added near what I could according to my menu, but I'm keeping it easy for now, pureed vegetable Soup, broths, Boost, and Water. Seems to do me fine for now. I promise to check in here more often, and I do when I see a new post, but I feel like I'm all over the place right now and maybe needing an LBT break? Did I say that? It might be time to switch my concentration to my home...just for a day or two? Anyhow, I'll do the best I can to stay offline for a bit until my home is in order. It's been quite a ride so far. Will check in soon! kathy

Kathy, it really does get better. i have not lost anymore weight but am scheduled for my fill. Did something particular happen?

Eliza

Hey Girls,

It has been mighty quiet in here! lol I am still doing the waiting game. Hopefully I will know something soon. It is frustrating!!!!

How are you two doing? Anymore weight loss? Are you guys feeling good? Do you regret doing this? Let me know all your feelings please! :D I am scared and excited at the same time and just cant wait to have it done.

I was in my friends wedding on Saturday and I was the only fat girl there. I felt terrible. I am looking forward to loosing this weight. Please let me know how you girls are doing.

Thanks,

Angie

Hey girls! No regrets yet! It keeps getting better and better. I know I can live with this band and do a great job of it! Once I got past all the swelling and not being able to swallow my own spit there for a minute, I have been doing great! Trying new mushies (egg salad, bean Soup, small bites of cottage cheese, all well-chewed) so I'm slowly moving along. I'm learning just how to do this, and all the preparation in the world can't get you ready for the reality of it! It's very odd, but good.

So I'm down about 15lbs so far, all of which I lost in the first 12 days but I have kept it off. I'm almost halfway through the 6 weeks healing stage, but I'm not in a hurry. I am, however, anxoius to get below 200!

How are you Eliza?

Okay, Angie, what are you waiting on next? Just insurance to process? Waiting on approval? I hear sometimes they schedule your surgery, then apply for approval? I'm sure it will go through just fine. If not, there's always self-pay. Less of a pain but more of a financial burden. I haven't gotten my money's worth out of the band yet, but I'll be working on it!

Take Care you two! I'll check back in.

Hello everyone,

I am still down only 15 lbs. but seem to be keeping it off. Kathy I am glad to hear you are doing better. Another good mushie food id cottage cheese with a little chicken salad (not chunky) this gives it a little taste. I have also put salmon spread with the cottage cheese and this also helps...don't use a lot just enough for flavor! Talk to ya'll later. Still in the middle of school and don't have much time! Eliza

I am waiting on my psychologist visit to be submitted to Dr. Bauman. That was my last thing and that can take them up to 3 weeks. I went on the 15th of April. So hopefully it wont take much longer and we can get approval from the insurance. I know I wont get to do it until the end of June. May is all booked up and then I go to Vegas the middle of June. I want to be able to go there and enjoy myself before I go through this banding stuff.

I am so terrified I will die during surgery. I have been thinking about this alot and it is aweful. I have three beautiful little girls and I am afraid I would die and leave them. I hate thinking like this but I know everyone does. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks!

Angie

Hey girls, checking in! Everyone okay? Eliza, I'm pretty sure this is crunch time for you...you are officially excused. (aren't you relieved? LOL:) )

Angie, any word yet? just wonderin. I know exactly what you mean about dying during surgery, or after! I love my kids and hubby and would much rather be fat and alive than dead doing some stupid weight loss thingy! But look, I didn't die! And it's going pretty well. I have self-diagnosed esophagitis...my esophogus burns all the time, every day. It's kickback from the reflux, or I still have reflux and can't feel it except for the burning. dunno. so I'm drinking 2ounces of Aloe Vera juice twice a day with my Prilosec. Hope being faithful doing this helps. Otherwise, I'm calling my PCP for some Prevacid, which I heard is really good/better.

Hey, I posted my picture on LBT. Wanna see what I look like? It's under the Lounge called, Finally a pic of me. By me.

Now, THAT will get you two off the Summerville thread and onto the boards!!! I love this thread, I'm glad you two are here. You should really post elsewhere though, or at least look around!!!

Okay, update you two!!!

Hey Kathy,

Everything is going well. I had my last visit with the psych and I am pleased to say I am completely normal! lol He was so funny about that yesterday. He was like there is nothing on here for us to really talk about. You are completely sane! lol

But, That was my last piece to get done. Now I need to wait on them to get it over and be reviewed. Hopefully he will do it soon. He said he would do it as quickly as possible. So I may know a date in the next couple of weeks. Keep your fingers crossed.

I went and looked at your pic. You do not look like you are about 40 years old. I hope I can say that when I get there. I will be 34 in August. It will get here before I know it.

I know what you are saying about the dying part. I am so scared but I know my doctor will take plenty of care of me. He has never lost a patient and is doing really well. So hopefully I wont be his first! scary! I know I shouldnt think like that but it makes you think?

How much weight have you two lost? Keep me posted on that. I think it is great you have gone through it and I will have people to confide in and help me through it. Thanks in advance! :)

Angie