Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summerville, SC

Hey Eliza, feeling fine...getting a little nervous, it's almost time for my countdown...I'm waiting to "feel" it, the getting excited part. Two weeks from yesterday. Oh! And there is a newbie here cco2001 I think is her screen name, and she's getting banded by Kuri on the same day I am, so I will actually be able to meet another Bandster in person, wow! Oh! And her sister is also getting banded that day. I told my sister that and she said "Ohhh, I wish I were, too!" which she doesn't because she has no idea about life with the Band, I'm the one doing all the research! But, if it's for her, I'll go back to Dr. Kuri with her.

So, just trying to get my house in order so it's easier to deal with when I return. I have a few things left to purchase, but I did get a haircut, manicure and pedicure last night, woohoo! and tonight I'll be waxing my eyebrows. I also bought a box of hair color, the kind that washes out in 30 days, but I'm nervous...It's Medium Auburn Brown. I might wait until after chuch tomorrow to color, just so I don't show up with this dark red that looks funny...I'll have a week to let it wash out a little before shocking the masses there.

So, you spent one night there and the rest of the week in the hotel with your mom, right? How'd your family do with you gone? Hey, and what did you tell your kids about where you were going? Your son, he's young, no problem but your daughter? Mine thinks I'm going to California to have my belly tucked (huh?) so she's been listening but I need to really talk with her more, just not sure how big a deal to make of it, just how much to tell her. Any advice would be great.

Take care, rest up, and write back when you can!

Kathy,

Sorry it has taken so long to post. I am doing well. I have been extremely moody...I think this is due to my hunger and inability to relax b/c both of my children have been sick with the throw-up bug and life has not been pleasant! Since you have small children, I would strongly reccommend that you have someone in place to help you. Even if your husband says he will..he will be tried after spending time with the children during your went to have surgery. If I could do it again, I would have stayed in Dalton longer.

Once I got back, my husband was exhausted b/c Ralphie had been sick and continued to be sick for another 3 days! He expected me to help and I was in another world tring to adjust to the surgery and get accustom to the dietary restrictions. The last thing I had patience for was my family. I know that sounds mean but that is how I felt! We got in a huge arguement that I think could have been avoided if we had realistic expectations as to my mental as wellas physical frame of mind. We finally decided, even though I am home pretend that I am not! FYI: He feels that all of the preop counseling was about me....and not about what the family should expect. My husband is very supportive and a wonderful guy but even he has his limits.

As for the food, being hungry is not fun, but I have not been able to eat anything but the broth, popscicles, etc..liquids. I did eat a mushed up hard boiled egg. Not a good idea. Today I ate some small curds cottage cheese...it seemed to help with the hunger. I am not supposed to eat this until next week, I thought I'd give it a try...it's ok, I did not eat much. The main thing is that you should eat liquids and let your body heal. I can understand how the band works as a "tool" now. It really limits what you can and cannot eat. You will feel pain and get sick if you eat too much, too fast or the wrong foods. I am not craving anything...really it just amazes me how much I was eating and how little I am eating now. This is a good feeling. I hope this helps. Good Luck and keep me posted. Eliza

Eliza..I live in Monroe NY about An hour from NYC. Where are you? I will be going to columbia april8th and 9th then again april 30th for my daughters graduation. I also got banded on the 23rd. wendy

I am in Summerville SC; Columbia is about 1.5 hours away from Summerville. Is your daughter at USC? I am in graduate school there. I am getting my master's in Library Science. How are you doing with your band? Eating and the rest of it? I still have heartburn..gas;how about you? i have lost 6lbs though! Eliza

Eliza, thanks so much, I will read your post to DH tonight...I'll let you know what he says!!! Glad you haven't gone far. And stay away from that stomach bug, for heaven's sake! Back soon...Kathy

Kathy- the heartburn pain is real and I would get your Dr. to explain how long it should last. I talked to Dr. Ponce's office today and they said it should last a little longer and I need to take "sips" instead of gulps. I have been gulping this is ahard habit to break. Especially if you are hungry and thirsty. Take Care, Eliza

Eliza..My daughter goes to Columbia Womans College, her boyfriend is at USC. I am not allowed to eat anything yet. still on shakes and Clear Liquids until April 11th. What are you allowed to have? Isn't it funny how all the Dr.s are different? No heartburn here but my doc gave me prevacid that melts in your mouth. So far I lost 10 lbs since being banded 9 before so that is a total of 19 in the last month. Finally made it below 200 f0r the first time in years. This liquid stage really is tough, can't wait till the 11th to start mushies. Wendy

Hey Wendy, I guess your Dr said it was okay to travel, who is the Columbia area emergency back up doc? Just wonderin. Have a great trip next week! You'll be "here" while I'm in MX for my Band surgery! "Wave" to me from the highway as you pass through Charlotte...I'm on the East side of I-77...just so you wave in the right direction!lol. Anyway, have a great visit.

Kathy and Wendy,

I am on liquids only. This is tough and I am with you...I am looking forward to the mushies! I have two more weeks on liquids and I then I can start mushies. Are you experiencing any pain? Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have lost 10 lbs so far post op so I am happy with the results. Maybe I need to take some prevacid. Kathy...the liquid phase is not fun! But he results are! I just keep telling myself over and over that this is temporary and I can do it...Take Care, Eliza

Hey Eliza, what kind of pain? Check around here and make sure it's "normal" pain, and not something problematic. Also, go to the food Forum and look for liquids recipes, put some variety in your diet. Might help? I'm hanging on your every word, keep posting!

Kathy, it's heartburn pain. I did not do any pre band modifications and old habits die hard. The gulping! Really if I could just focus on me I'd be doing great! Kids are still sick! Ralphie came home from school today and tonight (second day) Grace has a 101.5 fever. I would strongly suggest a quiet hotel! :) i am going to check out the liqiud food recommendations. Thanks, Eliza I will keep you updated. 10lbs as of today and the incisions are healing well.

Hello Girls,

My name is Angie and I am from Lake Wylie, SC. I am going to Dr Bauman for my Lap-Band procedure. I don't have a surgery date as of yet, but I am working on all the pre-op paper work. I hopefully will be able to have it in May. But I still have to see the nutritionist and psycologist. I just got done with an upper GI and lab work. Then today I have to go to my OB and get 5 years of documentation of my weight. There is no problem's there. I have been over weight for some time now.

This is nice to see others going through the same thing. Hopefully I can get to know you girls and we can set up a good support group. I have a friend that just had it done and he is doing pretty well. He had his surgery and left that same night. Then three days later he was at Carowinds running around with his children. :) I will send this website to him so he can have some support if he wants. Men are weird about stuff like this! lol He had surgery on the 8th of March and has lost 15lbs. so far.

Please keep posting and let me know how you all are doing with your surgeries so I can see how it goes for you girls. Good luck with everything, don't give up! This is for a healthier, and happier new you! That is how I am looking at it.

I keep checking on here and updating some info. I just want to see what I have updated. Can't wait to chat with you. I am such a newbie! lol

Hey Bondgirl! I started to reply hours ago but the kids needed attention...you and I are very near each other! Dr Bauman is the closest Band surgeon I know of...if I weren't self-pay, I'd probably be going there. Gotta run for now, but I'll be checking back too.