Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summerville, SC

Hello SC,

There don't seem to be very many of us: SC bandsters. I thought I might get some activity going. Anyone else out there? I am going to be banded on March 23, 2005 in Dalton, GA with Dr. Ponce with the Gastric Band Institute. I am curious about the recovery...anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?

ecbailey

Hey there, I'm from the Charlotte area...not banded yet but seeing Dr Kuri 4/8. My follow-up/fill Dr is Eduardo Gonzoles in Winston-Salem. Will you see Ponce for follow along? Good luck and stay in touch!

Yes, I will. Is Dr. Kuri the Dr. in Mexico? Are there a lot of bandsters in NC? Have you tried to chat yet? Do you known how it works?

Hey ec, yes, Dr Kuri is in Tiajuana, one of several there. There are not alot in our area on LBT, not regulars anyhow. Dr Kuri's office sent me a list of references and there was one in Durham. There is a bariatric surgeon in Concord, NC (just ouside of Charlotte) who does Lap Bands but mostly he does gastric bypass. I considered him until I totalled the bill, almost 20K...whew! No can do, so I'm going to Mx for half that. He (the Concord Dr) will do fills for Mx banded patients, but when I called he was considering NOT taking other Dr's patients for fills, so I didn't pursue it. I would rather drive to Winston for a sure fire follow along Dr who isn't scared of me(!) or apprehensive about a MX banded patient.

I also looked into Ponce in Dalton. I was willing to drive there but, again, the price for self-pay is pretty hefty. Had I not found the fill Dr in Winston, I would have gone to Ponce for fills and follow along. I like that Winston is a bit closer.

As far as chatting, it's a hit or miss around here. Some folks will post a "let's chat" and look for others to show up. Do you use the "new post" button at the top? Hit that, and you will see a list of what has been posted recently, maybe a chatter will be on. There is also a weekly chat with a topic in the works, just do a search for chats, and you will get the scoop. Be sure to post on that thread, and you will get e-mail notification when something gets going.

Hey, good luck on Tuesday! Be sure to post when you return so we can Celebrate your Banding with you!

I will post and thanks for the chat room info. I am self pay also and I am having my surg. at Hamilton AmbulatorySurg. Center. It is outpatient; However, I have to stay in Dalton for two days and on Friday after my check up...I can go home. My mother is going with me while my husband stays home with the children. The next week is Spring Break so he is taking that week off. The total cost is $13, 200.00. If you were to have the surg. and stay in the hospital I think it is somewhere around 18k -19K. I don't think I could have made going to Mx sound legit for my family...I know it is...but I did not want to fight that battle with then esp, since my husband was willing to pay the 13,200. I am not looking forward to having to travel to Dr. Ponce but I trust him and nothing is perfect! There is a Dr. in Greenville, SC, Dr. Bourne (I think) that does the lapband, but he was very expensive 25k! If everything goes well and after my first year I might consider switching to him (much closer 3.5 hours) If he would do the fills. Have you heard of him? Right now,

I am just looking forward to physically being myself again! 145/175/200 pregnancy/250/200/275 pregnancy/230 and now 275! Ughhh. I am a little concerned that I will get frustrated but I am dedicated! How about you? Do you have a good support system. Do you know anyone who has been banded?

The only bandsters I know are on here. I would not be doing this if I didn't have this site to help. I feel so much more confident and prepared. My weight soared with two pregnancies, high weight was around 260 pregnant, 240+ after stopping nursing. I kept eating like I was nursing and packed on the pounds. I have managed to lose and keep off 20 lbs, but when there is at least 80 more to go, and I'll be 40 in May, well, I just give up.

My husband is very supportive now, very leery before. I have showed him this site, and the Inamed site, other online info, and once I did my price shopping and digging around for dirt on my Dr (couldn't find anything regarding his skill in placing bands) we both felt comfortable. I didn't realize Ponce could do it outpatient for 13K. hmmm. But I'm scheduled and have paid my deposit and purchased plane tickets for me and my sister (hubby staying home with the kids, same as you) and here I go!

I admit I hesitate to mention MX to most folks. Some close friends know, but anyone else who I tell about getting surgery, well, that's all I say, I'm having weight loss surgery, not gastric bypass, but the adjustable gastric band...that satisfies them.

I see you on here so I'll submit and let you read, it's bedtime anyway...don't go far! We'll stay in touch here...see you later!

Kathy, That sounds great! Let's post here and "be buddies". Your surg. date is pretty close to mine...4/8 right? That's my son's 2nd birthday...This way we can help each other out and share info. I have been to other sites, but this one seems to be the easiest for me to navigate and get answers. How about you, have you tried any other lapband support sites? I am so glad you posted here I was beginning to feel discouraged re: anyone else out there...Dr. Ponce said that a support group is VERY important to the success of the lapband. Locally we have a gastric bypass support group, but Dr. Ponce said that the procedures are so different and the gastric by pass patients have different issue. He suggested online sites. Again, I have found this one to be the most productive. I am also planning on going to weight watchers and OA. Do you have any support group plans? As for going to MX; It sounds like you are in good hands. I've seen Dr. Kuri's name a bunch on this site...plus you will get to have a mini-vacation :). Take Care, Eliza P.S. How old are your children?

Hey Eliza!

I have attempted Yahoo but so many pop-ups, and it's difficult to navigate...not worth it. LBT is the best site, bar none. Everyone is so nice and friendly and helpful. No need for other support boards...well, maybe for research but I'm fine here.

Do a post about OA here, I know some folks here have done that, may still be doing it...but I agree about a support group, invaluable, and such different issues from gastric bypass groups. My child care is an issue for showing up to WW meetings and other "in-person" group meetings. My son just tuned two in Feb. and my daughter is 5 and in Kindergarten. I'm a stay-at-home mom for now, but will return to work in the Fall, maybe Spring if we can swing it.

Going to MX, I will arrive Thu 4/7 around 10am and spend the afternoon doing pre-op labs, etc. and then meet with Dr Kuri that evening. The next morning is surgery (Friday) and I'll get out of the hospital Sat am and hit the plane home that afternoon...if a hospital in TJ is a mini-vacation, I'll get one!! I just want to come home. My sister, on the other hand, will be getting a massage Friday afternoon at a spa, and will have plenty of quiet time, which she doesn't get alot of, so for her, yep, mini-vacation. She is worried about being in TJ "alone" though and will not venture any farther than the spa. She'd just as soon hang out with me, anyway, so that's good.

I saw you invite Hope/Officegirlblues here, I hope she comes! Hope!!! Where are you?!!!

Kathy,

No word from Hope huh? Maybe she'll join us later. I am nervous but trying not to make a big deal about it around my children. They are roughly the same age as yours. 2 boy and 7 girl. I wanted to spend some time with my daughter tonight but she fell asleep while I was putting my son to bed. :think (I am also a stay at home mom but I am in graduate school. I am getting my master's in Library Science.)

I posted on the GA forum re: Dr. Ponce and have gotten good feedback; that helps my nerves. I'll post as soon as I can and let you know how things go. Our hotel has internet access and I am taking my laptop so who knows I might be able to give an update sooner than later. As for the WW group, I am doing that more for my husband..he wants me to learn to cook properly and portion size...I am all for that too. I will post about OA and see what happens. Have most people found it to be helpful? I am currently seeing a therapist and she has been helpful. But I would like to find someone that specializes in food addiction. MUSC (the medical university here) might have a program in place. When I get back I will check it out. This site has been a great help and I agree, it really is the best place to go online.

Take Care, Eliza

It's Tues nite and you are in Ga with Dr Ponce...just thinking of you and your surgery tomorrow...prayers for you for a smooth surgery and a great recovery! I hope you took your laptop...I wanna know how it went, don't make me wait until Friday when you get home!

I'll start a new thread in the Support forum for you...folks can post their well-wishes there. Good luck!

Your band buddy,

Kathy

Kathy, Sorry to make you wait until Friday. Everything went great! Dr. Ponce's facility is awesome and the staff is very professional and nice. I am a little sore but I have not taken the pain meds during the day. I will take some tonight. It's amazing how smooth everything went and that it is all over and I am home. I will write more later. I need to visit with my family. Take Care, Eliza

Yippee!!! So glad you made it home okay, I want the details...when you get a chance of course. Thanks for the quick note! Hey, when you sign back on, look under New Posts for a thread welcoming you to Bandland...I'll go bump it...and let everyone know how it went. You and I are the only two on here, which is great! but everyone else will want to hear from you too. Congratulations!

Hello ladies,

I just got banded on march 23rd and want to go to visit my daughter in Columbia SC on April 9th, she is in college there and choregraphing a show, My Dr. won't letme travel there unless there is a doctor nearby to help me if I have any medical issues. Do any of you know of a DR. who is experienced in banding near Columbia?? Please let me know, thanks for the help. Wendy

Panda,

Off hand, no. But there is a Lap Band surgeon in Concord NC which is just NorthEast of Charlotte, NC. From Columbia, you are looking at about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Concord (depending on traffic and which part of Columbia you are driving from. That may be close enough for your Dr. His name is Dr. Roc Bauman, he is at Carolina Weight Loss Surgery. Web address is CarolinaWeightLossSurgery.com I think...you may need to Google. Surely there is one closer but not one that I know of. Hope that helps! Let me know if you want more info! Good luck!

Panda, There is a Dr. Eric Bour in Greenville, SC. about 1.5 hours away from Columbia. Where do you live?

Hey Kathy, I posted a longer reply under the support thread. Thanks for starting that for me. How are you feeling? Eliza