Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a wedding photographer, getting banded on April 3rd. My dr and nurses assured me that at 9 days out i would be fine to photograph a wedding. What do you all feel from your experiance? i am not going to be carrying anything but my camera and tripod at time, I have my husband assisting and i hired a second shooter, but angles and bending and twisting is more what i am scared of. If I take advil/ibuprophen do you think the pain will be ok?

I was fine after the first week, other than still having mild port tenderness. I think you should be fine.

I had my surgery on a Friday returned to work the following Monday. I was only able to work a 1/2 day. Then Tuesday came back and have worked ever since. About 1 week post op a friend came over to pick up some stuff. I picked it up and helped her carry it out. Later that night I hurt but it was because it was way to heavy. Over the 20 lb. limit by doctor had set. Since i was feeling so good on the "outside" I forgot and just did it. :-( I paid for it all day long the next day, right where my port is.

I am thinking you will be fine with a second shooter and your dh as support. :crying:

My experience with shooting like that is that it's more stressful on your body than a non-photographer might realize. Definitely take it easy and let someone else carry everything.

How heavy is your camera? My 1D is about 5-6 lb and my biggest lens is another 5-6 lb. That's 10-12 lb. without the tripod and my shooting events usually last 12-16 hours. I assume the wedding will be shorter. :crying: OTOH, I'm just using a monopod so I'm still hefting a lot of weight. Maybe a tripod will be easier.

I'd still take it easy and let the second shooter do most of the work.

I think that you will be fine, I went back to work on day 6. I am a physical therapist assistant and my patient caseload consists of geriatric patients. I was able to see some of the higher level patients and worked 4 hours a day. Most of the pain that I had was bending over to put ankle weights on people. I did have to come home and take pain medication for the first day or two back, but I was fine by the end of the first week back.

Just take it easy and let someone else do the heavy lifting for you.

Ari

yeah the only lens i am worried about is the 70-200 IS which weighs a TON, but I only use that on tripod or monopod. And i think I will probably keep it on mono for the whole reception so that I am not actually hand holding the weight.

Thanks everyone, you have helped to put my mind at ease. this wedding, I am booked for 8 hours, and my husband will be doing all the carrying, I will be shooting and I figure as long as I keep sip sip sipping, I should be good.

yeah the only lens i am worried about is the 70-200 IS which weighs a TON

That's the one I'm talking about. :crying: I've shot for 16 hours with only 20 min. breaks with that thing. Standing on concrete the entire time. Towards the end of the event, I'm kind of leaning up against the hockey box, hopping a strong wind doesn't blow through the rink. :wub:

I'm assuming weddings are a bit easier on the body. I know they pay better. :thumbup:

well breaks in weddings, don't really happen. But during the Ceremony we are normally only allowed to be in one place, so it's kind of a break, standing behind the tripod or hand holding instead of racing around a reception! lol. And then at dinner time we get to take a bit of a break once the detail shots are taken. i don't use the 70-200 too often at receptions, except to get some detail shots. I may just let my second shooter use it, she's been jonesing over one for a while! lol

I could have done a wedding after the third day. They are being pesimistic telling you to wait 9 days. Self employed 3 to 4 days back with no lifting. Employed 9 days to 3 weeks. Ha Ha

Hi

I'm back to work tomorrow - day 6 after banding - and I'm sure I'll manage it without too much problem. You should be OK by day 9 but I guess we are all different so its hard to be certain. Take care with ibuprofen though - my surgeon has barred all anti-inflammatory medication because it can upset the stomach lining

My doctor said absolutely no Advil or any other ibuprofen ever again. He said it can eat through the lap band.

How can that happen? The band is on the outside. :biggrin:

advil can eat through the lining of the stomach, any ibuprophen can. most dr's recommend only tylonol. I wouldn't take advil anyways without my surgeons consent.