Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery diets... what does YOUR doc require?

I know a lot seem to prefer low carb, others Protein drinks, and some don't require anything! (Can that really be true?!)

My doc seems to be the only one who requires a fat-free milk diet, two weeks before surgery. Yep, that's it. Fat-free milk (or 1%, PTL), all you can drink in 10 minutes, three times a day, then a glass at bed time. He's convinced that is the best way to shrink the liver as much as possible, which decreases surgery time and allows for smoother placement.

What do all of your doctors require, and did they say why?

Counting, I like your plan much better!

May I ask how you lost 67 pounds PRIOR to being banded? Did your insurance require a 6 month medically supervised diet? (Congrats on that, BTW, that is fantastic!)

My doc is requiring 2 protien shakes a day with one lean cuisine a day... He wants me to start this on April 1, however, my surgery date ins't until April 25....

He did tell me that the Slim Fast low carb is a good shake to drink. I don't really care for the taste of those premades, so I bought the powder kind and drink those instead....

My surgeon requires a course of Medifast (up to 6 shakes a day) with Water in between. The course depends on how much you have to lose (he requires 10% pre-op). I have to lose 26 and started my Medifast on 3/18. My surgery date is 4/28. I have noticed a difference but it gets rough. I did cheat last night but that was planned ahead of time. We went to Red Lobster for good friday as my husband and step kids are Catholic and this was planned for a long time. They were great there though. They substituted my rice and sides for an extra dinner salad. Tried to keep the meal high Protein and low carb.

Good luck to all.

Hi,

Regarding pre-op diets, my surgeon does not require anything special. He is associated with a "Center of Excellence" program, so that program requires 3 mos. dietitian supervised lifestyle/diet changes...I've lost about 35 or so pounds on that. He acknowledges that some surgeons require a pre-op diet to shrink the liver, however, he says he has been doing this so long (20+years) that he no longer feels this a technical issue for him (has a fantasticly low complication rate) so he doesn't require.

As I hear many suffering through those 2 week liguid diets/ fasts...I'm grateful I can just stay on my low-fat, low-calorie "normal" diet for the next 2 1/2 weeks till my band-day! Can't Wait!! Best wishes to you all.

I lost the weight on a plan called medi-zone. A Dr in Tampa FL created it. It is w/ help of phentermine, fat burning injections and B-12 injections. The only prob was it cost between $140 & $175 a week. Couldnt keep that up for long!!! The diet itself was 1 week zero carbs & then slowly add in "good carbs" after your system was in ketosis. You do that 1 week out of every month to keep from plateauing. I stayed w/ that Dr for 5 months before I went too far into debt to continue. I started at 285 lbs, got down to 205 before I quit. Then I gained it all back after stopping the injections & pills. (of course, I didnt exactly eat right either) Now I am down to 220 and it's all due to low carb, high Protein eating. I just follow that diet without the injections. I also just joined Shapes last week & I have lost 5lbs in 6 days just from Water aerobics and stationary bike, with very little weight training. I do about 5 mins of leg presses, 5 mins of abs, 5 mins of thigh machine, 5 mins of the rotating ab/pec machine and 5 mins of treadmill & 5 mins of bike w/ 4-5 hours a week of water aerobics.

Luckily my ins & doc didnt require a diet before surgery, just 5 yrs medical records documenting obesity & comorbidities.

The last 2 weeks, I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, 1 for lunch & a salad, Soup, or baked potato for dinner. If I snack, it's a slim jim or a couple fat free pretzels, but I dont have a snack every day.

I am drinking 3 (supposed to be 3-5) high-protien, low-carb (trying AdvandEdge) shakes per day with 2 liters of Water minimum. This is what my doctor wants. It was terrible the first two days, then great, then terrible again on day 7. I am now on day 8 and feeling ok. I am set to be banded on 3/27, but I turned up with high blood pressure at my Cardiologist screening, so I have to have a stress test on Monday. I have only cheated in the fact that several days I have had a glass of wine or a mixed drink (vodka and Splenda Cranberry Diet).

weight.png

I am having my surgery Apr. 9th and my Dr. doesnt require any diet just be sure to drink plenty of liquids the day before my surgery. Amen to this because I dont think I could handle the 2 wks before and 2 wks after on a liquid diet.< /p>

My Dr. requires 2 weeks of 3 protien shakes and 1 meal a day. I start tues. and am nervous I won't be able to do it. In the meantime I'm eating everything in sight..........not good.

Hello all,

My surgeon requires no pre-op diet at all, and I am a little concerned. Not that I want to do one, but should I? I have an appt. Tuesday with him to finalize surgery date and am planning to ask him then. I don't want to have a big, in the way liver! :-)

Mine requires only a 3 day prep. 2 days to eat 2 clearliquid meals and 1 regular meal each day. Day before surgery, Clear liquids until midnight, nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery...

...guess i get off a little eaiser than some... :wink:

Sandy

Edited by sldeems

my Dr requires a 10 day liquid diet, this includes 3 servings of dairy (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese), Protein shakes, broth, SF pudding, SF popsicles, 1 can of campbells chicken noodle or chicken vegetable Soup a day.

My pre-op diet was for 17 days and was all the same (except for the campbell's soup). First few days were a bear, but then it got so much easier (and I lost some weight, which made it all the better!) :wink:

Optifast pre surgery. I don't know all the specific details yet, I'm 5 weeks out from my surgery date. When I know the specifics, later this week I imagine, I'll post it.