Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flipped port

The last time I had a fill which was in December of 2007, the fill doctor which is a surgeon that is doing pro bono work for my surgeon that retired had a really hard time getting to my port because it was tilted. He put me under fluro, found the port, filled me and sent me on my way. He didn't say anything about having to do a port replacement. Is this something that I should ask next time? And what are the average costs for port replacement if I'm self pay?

I had my band put in November 2006, in August 2007 my fills became very painfully, port was tipped, November 2007 surgeon had done a hernia repair surgery on me, asked him to fix it then, but he didn't, next fill in February 2008 ,he did with xray was able to find port, went this past Thursday now the port is flipped, will be going in on the 24th to have it repaired. I have been hungry since August 2007, still not eating like i did before the surgery, have gain 12 pounds and am a bit discouraged. Asked the doc how he knew he was accessing the port and he said because he could draw out Fluid, he told me i had in 2.5 of fluid and it can hold 4 max i told him to fill it up, i was down to 130 pounds back up to 142, i am hoping this will correct the problem, am very afraid of gaing weight back!! I started out at 216 and my goal weight it 110 to 115.

Has anyone else felt hungry??

I had my band put in November 2006, in August 2007 my fills became very painfully, port was tipped, November 2007 surgeon had done a hernia repair surgery on me, asked him to fix it then, but he didn't, next fill in February 2008 ,he did with xray was able to find port, went this past Thursday now the port is flipped, will be going in on the 24th to have it repaired. I have been hungry since August 2007, still not eating like i did before the surgery, have gain 12 pounds and am a bit discouraged. Asked the doc how he knew he was accessing the port and he said because he could draw out Fluid, he told me i had in 2.5 of Fluid and it can hold 4 max i told him to fill it up, i was down to 130 pounds back up to 142, i am hoping this will correct the problem, am very afraid of gaing weight back!! I started out at 216 and my goal weight it 110 to 115.

Has anyone else felt hungry??

I do get hungry but not nearly as hungry as I did pre band. My last fill wasn't painful until he had to poke me 4 or 5 times and I was bruised for a week. And just to let you know, your band can hold up to 5 ccs. I currently have 4.25cc.

Hello all,

I went to my doc today for my 1st fill!! After trying 2 or 3 times he decide to do it under fluoroscope I told him I have a sore spot in my stomach where the port is.Is that normal?

Ihave an appt on Monday to get the fill at the hospital.

jaunderwood

My port is just a few inches from my underwire bra and it is uncomfortable all the time. If you can, let your port stay where it is. I wish mine was farther down. The doctor even commented when I had my first fill that it was really up high.

Hello all,

I went to my doc today for my 1st fill!! After trying 2 or 3 times he decide to do it under fluoroscope I told him I have a sore spot in my stomach where the port is.Is that normal?

Ihave an appt on Monday to get the fill at the hospital.

jaunderwood

To have some soreness after an attempted fill is normal, simply because of the palpation and manipulation of the stomach to locate the port, and it also could be from the needle sticks. I had some mild sorness also. This soreness should be temporary, but if it continues to bother you after a few days, be sure to let your doctor know about, without hesitation.

my port right now sits right above my pants waist line, and is very painfull and irritating, am wondering if that could have anything to do with my port flipping! Do they stitch the ports in place or do they just float around? I would like mine a little higher so when i bend it doe not pinch or bind.

my port right now sits right above my pants waist line, and is very painfull and irritating, am wondering if that could have anything to do with my port flipping! Do they stitch the ports in place or do they just float around? I would like mine a little higher so when i bend it doe not pinch or bind.

I'm really sorry to hear that your port site is painful and irritating. You should seriously talk to your doctor and ask him to move your port to another location, or futher up, since it bothers you a lot where it is now.

My port is also in the same location, at about the pants waistline. Since my port is very deep down, it doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that I'll have no choice but to have another surgery to move the port up.

From what my doctor told me, the port is sewn down onto the muscle wall. It doesn't "float" around.

Finally - 3 months after surgery I was getting my first fill this morning. However, Dr. discovered under fluoroscopy that my port had flipped. I have to go under general anesthesia again to have it corrected!!! Anyone else gone thru this???:rolleyes2:

My port flipped over too. Surgery Friday July 13th 07 - didn't go for a fill till Jan 2nd as I was loosing 2 or more pounds a week. Because of travel had it reversed on March 26th - but not with general anesthesia - only a local - it took about 45 minutes and he was able to fill it at the same time. Shots in the area were not too painful, wore a bandage for a week, never took pain pills and have lost 4 pounds since.

Edited by NJGrannie
spelling

I went in for my first fill today and learned that my port is tilted sideways. They were able to put some pressure from the outside and turn it forward to do the fill. It was very fast and didn't hurt at all. I guess it will remain to be seen if I will have to have a correction done as time passes. I was disappointed that it was tilted. I thought that they had figured out how to keep it forward by now.