Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Crossed from Pre to Post - Banded Yesterday

Hey All - I've crossed over. I was banded yesterday Tu, 3/18. YAY!! Now home and excited about my new life. I was thrilled to start off the surgery with having lost 24 lbs with the preop liquid diet (as much as it sucked). I gained about 5 back after surgery, but, from what I read that is normal with swelling and all. Feeling pretty good overall. St Francis, Federal Way, (Seattle) with Dr Oh and Hirai are all great! Last night funny at hospital as our ward was all gastric or bypass patients, every hour overnight, the on duty nurse, a sweatheart of a drill seargeant, so no rest for the wary and lead our walks and encoured belching the entire time. She said it was the only way to get rid of pain in the shoulders. Very nice woman, but after spending the graveyard hours with her, couldn't wait to get home and get some sleep. It paid off, no real pain, not even in the port site. A wee bit sore but nothing more than that. Excited to be a newbie on the post op side of lapband surgery!

on 3/3/08 - 333.3 lbs

on 3/18/08 - 309.5 lbs

my first goal - to get below 200lbs!!!

Tom in Seattle:rolleyes:

Hi, congrads on getting banded. I was banded this morning and came home straight from recovery!!! Just wondering if you have experienced a tingling sensation in face, or arms and legs? I have and havn't heard of anyone having anything like that. How is the gas pain for you on day two. It's been pretty bad for me so far and would love to hear that it gets much better the second day.

Again, congrads and Thanks

Congrats to you,

I was also bnded yesterday and I went home right after recovery.

The gas thing was bad but not terrible. It felt good to walk. I am having trouble getting any liqiuds down besides Water. I just don't feel like drinking. I can't wait to see what is in store fo us.

I can not imagine going right home after recovery - the follow up care while overnighting in hospital was terrific - they wouldn't discharge you until you drank a combination of 70 1 oz thimbles of Water of water apple juice combo - they would put 10 in front of you (they called them your cocktails and encouraged slow drinking, once finished brough 10 more and again, take your time was the message - it was so easy to do it this way, had to sleep on a bet that was angle so you would keep pushing yourself up to get comfortable, this forced excercise with motion of legs and helped with the gas pain, the breathing machine exercise, the walks every 1hr to 90 minutes all thorugh the night - pain meds and even popsicles - no tingling at home - been home for about 9 hours now, still doing pain med, but am feeling a bit sore on the belly - but, not pain - so glad I got to stay in hospital - lot of work, but at same time feel rested and off to a good start with follow up care. Tom in Seattle

I was banded on Monday morning and came home that night around 5; not really much stomach pain, a little shoulder pain. But it is really hard to drink all the liquids just not really hungry or thirsty. It did feel really good yesterday to shower and I took off my bandages which also helped!! Wishing everyone well.

Wendy

Tom,

I just had to check in and see how you were doing! I am so proud of you for skipping the steak...(I want to cheat and think I will!) Bet that seems like an eternity ago now. So how is postop day 4?