Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP: how to make Nectar protein tasty?

I’m just over a year post-op, have lost just over 100 pounds and am stalled out… Mentally and on the scale. I’m trying to get back to basics and the 1st step there is Protein. I do remember the early days of protein-protein-protein, and not with much fondness!

While I did eventually come up with a “latte-like” recipe I’ve used with all sorts of vanilla & chocolate powders, I am just sick of the cream-base. The only non-milky Protein powder I can find locally is the nectar line. I’m big on juice & kool-aid, so I was excited to test them out. In fact, I tired all the flavors last year, and didn’t like any of them on its own merits. I did buy a tub of Crystal Sky but it has a strong whey aftertaste to me thus in the pantry it remains. After that purchase I started getting sample packs of nectar, so I didn’t have much with which to experiment. Only if I mixed them with juice were they actually palatable, but that is NOT what I was looking for newly post-op! But I’m so bored with creamy Protein that I’m ready to play around with my Crystal Sky & all of the Nectar flavors again…

What specific mix-in (Crystal Light, kool-aid, etc) flavor combinations did y’all successfully use to transform the different Nectar powders into tasty drinks?

You know, I was offered a job with Syntrax, makers of nectar and while it is a GREAT quality product, one of the better products, I couldn't stomach them and that is one of the two reasons I didn't take the job. The Lemonade (to me) smells like if you took smelly socks and put old cheese in them and let them get ripe. Gahhhh.... (Yes, it did take some time to pinpoint that odor <g>)

The newer versions of Nectar... chocolate and Vanilla... Can't stand the vanilla but the chocolate is pretty good if you add Da Vinci S/F Chocolate Syrup. The syrup kills the aftertaste and it tastes like Nestles Chocolate Milk.

The quality of Protein really is excellent with Syntrax products (Nectar and Matrix 5.0) but good luck getting them down. Well, except the Chocolate Matrix 5.0. That's one of my favorites and have used it with Da Vinci S/F Raspberry syrup. That's some good stuff. But the others... gahhhhh.

IOW, I don't believe I am any help to you! ;o)

Wait! I have one that I really like -- especially since I've given up my morning coffee habit for these early band stages of healing. The Cappuccino flavor (blended with skim milk and a little ice) is really satisfying and delicious. :biggrin: I didn't like their chocolate flavor, and while I have a cherry sample, I haven't tried it yet.

I am drinking the cappuccino flavor nectar right now with a splash of S/F caramel Syrup and it is yummy! By far my favorite of any of the "coffee" ones I have tried so far.

I never had any luck making those things good. However, now I drink the IDS liquid whey Protein (the bullet). It comes in a 3oz test tube and is good when it's mixed about half the tube with Water and ice. It's like kool aid but is not sweet. It has 42 g or protein per 3 oz tube. I prefer the grape. Not a fan of the trop fruit and have not tried orange yet, but overall, am not a fan of those last two flavors in anything...so it could be me! However, it's a nice break from straight water and a great way to get some extra protein in. You can get them in cases of 12 on massnutrition.com. I just did some searching and that was the cheapest price I could find. About $25 for 12 of them. I paid almost $4 per each at the hospital pharmacy when I tested out one of each of the flavors.

I was told today to be careful of the test tube Protein shots...they are incomplete Proteins and you have to have a complete protein in order for them to be absorbed properly. I would look into it, or talk to your nut about it. She just told me about it today...

I was told today to be careful of the test tube Protein shots...they are incomplete Proteins and you have to have a complete Protein in order for them to be absorbed properly. I would look into it, or talk to your nut about it. She just told me about it today...

Very true! Those shots, shooters, and bullets are the most poor quality protein on the market. They are mostly collagen protein, the lowest of the low. Many dog food companies refuse to use such a protein.

They are made from joint tissue and boiling the hair/skin of horses and cows. The protein is extracted, mixed with flavoring and waaalahhhh, you have shots, shooters, and bullets.

Badddd protein...

There was an FDA study done on all the people that died a few years ago from Liquid Protein diets. Something like 13 of 15 people were consuming collagen protein. Turns out, it was depleting their stores vs. adding to them. Now, these people were only consuming protein, nothing else. So Protein drinks don't kill people, consuming nothing but collage protein is risky.

It's better to get a good quality protein.

Very true! Those shots, shooters, and bullets are the most poor quality Protein on the market. They are mostly collagen Protein, the lowest of the low. Many dog food companies refuse to use such a protein.

They are made from joint tissue and boiling the hair/skin of horses and cows. The protein is extracted, mixed with flavoring and waaalahhhh, you have shots, shooters, and bullets.

Badddd protein...

There was an FDA study done on all the people that died a few years ago from Liquid Protein diets. Something like 13 of 15 people were consuming collagen protein. Turns out, it was depleting their stores vs. adding to them. Now, these people were only consuming protein, nothing else. So Protein drinks don't kill people, consuming nothing but collage protein is risky.

It's better to get a good quality protein.

True. When looking for protein supplements, avoid anything that's made of collagenic protein or Calcium casseinate. Both are EXTREMELY low-quality protein sources. Which, honestly, makes the prices that are charged for the products particularly outrageous, I think. Those protein shot thingies are typically pretty expensive per serving.

ARGH! You've really burst my bubble, but you've opened my eyes too. :biggrin: I tried one of the Profect Protein test tubes to try to get away from milk-based shakes and thought it would be okay. My doc thinks I may have some lactose intolerance issues because I'm having constant bloating on these Protein Shakes I've been drinking.

So, what is the solution to get good quality Protein without all the milk? The powders I have are yucky made with Water...

This is very interesting! My bottle says it is Whey Protein. They say there is research on their website about it, so I think I'm going to read that, too. Thanks for the info! My doc is always so up on her info...I'm a little surprised she would suggest it if it was a bad thing. Hmmm. MORE RESEARCH FOR ME!

ARGH! You've really burst my bubble, but you've opened my eyes too. :thumbup: I tried one of the Profect Protein test tubes to try to get away from milk-based shakes and thought it would be okay. My doc thinks I may have some lactose intolerance issues because I'm having constant bloating on these Protein Shakes I've been drinking.

So, what is the solution to get good quality Protein without all the milk? The powders I have are yucky made with Water...

I honestly don't think you're going to find any protein supplement that's truly yummy. The most that you can hope for, IMO, is tolerable. Some of them turn out to be pretty good, if you doctor it. Like WASa suggested, you can get sugar-free flavor syrups to add flavor to a plain drink. You could also try adding fruit and ice to try to make them thicker/tastier.

whey Gourmet chocolate Peanut Butter is probably the best Protein powder that I've found. It tastes sort of like Reece's Peanut Butter cups to me. My suggestion is to try to find samples of powders and/or ready-to-drink stuff somewhere and try a bunch of different types of protein to see what you'll like. You might want to try soy protein, also, since you might be lactose intolerant.

If all else fails, and you absolutely can't find anything high-quality that you can tolerate, go back to the low-quality stuff. It shouldn't be a major problem as long as you're not using it long term and as long as you are consuming other forms of food and protein. Ideally, though, if you can find something higher-quality that you can tolerate drinking, it's a better idea to use that rather than the low-quality stuff.

ARGH! You've really burst my bubble, but you've opened my eyes too. :thumbup: I tried one of the Profect Protein test tubes to try to get away from milk-based shakes and thought it would be okay. My doc thinks I may have some lactose intolerance issues because I'm having constant bloating on these Protein Shakes I've been drinking.

Whey protein IS dairy. Have you tried soy protein? I don't have any good suggestions for you on brands as I stick to whey.

However, Whey Gourmet chocolate Peanut Butter is GREAT with Water and amazingly thick too.

Rhariett62:

This is very interesting! My bottle says it is Whey Protein. They say there is research on their website about it, so I think I'm going to read that, too. Thanks for the info! My doc is always so up on her info...I'm a little surprised she would suggest it if it was a bad thing. Hmmm. MORE RESEARCH FOR ME!

Look again, if it is a shot, shooter, or bullet it has whey AND collagen. Boiled horse skin just isn't good protein.

Many docs have no idea which types of protein are in which brands. I'd do some research on it.

Lauren:

I'm going to send you some of the Whey Gourmet Caramel when I get it. I should get it in the next week or so.

That's the way I like my chocolate and/or vanilla Protein best -- served up iced cappuccino/latte style. I blend my shakes up with Water & Decaf instant coffee granules, like Taster Choice or International Foods. And then I add a little non-dairy flavored Creamer to the mix. They really are terrific that way -- if you go for the iced, sweetened, creamy drinks at the mall coffee shops, you know, the kind blended with or served over ice & topped with whipped cream. Which I do! :thumbup: I've actually become quite the pro at making them to the point that my kids (2-1/2 & 5) request Protein Shakes for Breakfast. My DH doesn’t turn one down either. I truly do look forward to my shake, most days. :thumbup: (And thank goodness, or really, I’d be so off track with my Protein intake if I had not found a way to make my daily shake tasty.)

But the milky-ness is getting to me lately. As the Coffee Talk Lady used to say, "I'm getting vaclemped” after my shakes now. Maybe it’s the burgeoning allergy season, but I’m suddenly phlegmy in the morning & these days my iced latte shake just is too thick & creamy for me -– even though I don’t use milk at all!

I tried the bullets & found them way too syrupy for even my sweet tooth, which is saying a lot because I’d drink snow-cone Syrup in a cup sans shaved ice if people wouldn’t look at me funny! :tt2: This debate over the quality of their protein never crossed my mind, but I’m glad y’all pointed it out since I was thinking about trying to make Jello with a tube of 42g. Always something new to learn on this journey, isn’t there...

Lauren:

I'm going to send you some of the Whey Gourmet Caramel when I get it. I should get it in the next week or so.

Ooh, interesting. Sounds pretty good, but then again, so did the "creamy, dreamy milk chocolate" that was neither creamy nor dreamy. :thumbup: