Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to have restriction without fills?

I was banded on 2/13. What I thought was restriction after the surgery was just swelling. After that went down in about one week, I could eat to the same proportions as before banding.

I went to the doc at 3 weeks and they said they would give me my first fill. I could still eat a car if I wanted to!!

Well, today they had me go for an upper gi then come to their office. They said that everything looked great. That first fill was 3cc's in my 10cc band. My doc is pretty agressive so she gave me another 3cc's for my second fill. I couldn't get the Water down so she took out 1cc leaving me with a total of 5cc. She said to have just liquids/mushies today and tomorrow then I can go back to solid food.

Well, for dinner I had broccoli/cheese Soup to go from Applebees and was still starving (only had a yoghurt today since I couldn't eat for the upper gi) so I then had some cottage cheese, then I mashed up an avocado and ate that. To me, that STILL seems more than I should be able to eat after a fill.

I keep hearing about how we're supposed to eat about 1/2 cup food per meal and I ate more than that after my fill. I'm thinking maybe 1/2 cc more.

Anyway, so my first fill was at 3 weeks, and this, my second, was at 5 weeks.

Marie

I went 6 mos with out a fill. Like you, when it slowed I decided it was time. There is only a finite amount of room in the band so my thinking is use it when you need it.

Most folks need it ASAP. I guess we're just lucky, huh?

Im glad to be one of the "lucky ones" I feel that as long as I can keep my portions small and stay full then why push for a fill?

My post op diet was quite restrictive, and lasted for 6 weeks! Then after that I was on to a full diet, once I found I could eat solid Protein without issue, I could get a fill, so they average around the 7 week mark with my Dr. With the first fill, I barely felt anything, some restriction if I ate too much too fast----but I didn't get true restriction until my 2nd fill----even though it was a minute amount!

Just be sure to allow yourself time to heal....it is really important!!

Kat

Can you give advice for fills.:thumbup: Dr.Rumbaut is doing my surgery and I will go back there for my first fill, but Im thinking that I cant possibly go everytime I need an adjustment.:shades_smile: So my question would be for the people who went to Mexico for the proceedure....and need fills in the USA. Ive heard good and bad things about the fill centers?????:teeth_smile:

I have never used a fill center. When I originally began researching the band, I planned on using a Dr. in Colorado, attended his seminar, and made arrangements. Then I was involved in a car accident that required hospitalization and surgery, which interupted my 12 month medically supervised weight loss attempt, required by my insurance at that time. So they were going to ignore my 10 1/2 months I had done and make me start the entire year over! Including all the tests I had already done--which insurance would not pay for again without cause....mixed up mess!

When I thought about becoming self pay--I discussed it with the surgeon I had chosen and found his prices close to $20K, that was out of the question! I had a couple I knew who had been banded by Dr. Rumbaut, so I ask my surgeon about surgery in MX. He laid out the pros and cons, and to be honest, emphasized the cons, just as I would have expected him to. When in the end, insurance failed me in my appeal, I ask him if he would refer me to one, and he referred me to Dr. Aceves in Mexicali. They had trained together, and that is who he suggested. At that time I took over, and researched his suggestion, had my Uncle who is a Dr. ask around and check things out, and got back good reports, so contacted Dr. Aceves. He spoke with Dr. Brown, and they determined if Dr. Aceves did my surgery, Dr. Brown would do my follow up care. But Dr. Aceves was concerned that it was still 6 hours away, so had me try to find someone more local in case I needed an emergency unfill--so I contacted my former oncologist, since they are used to accessing ports----he in turn, spoke with both surgeons and agreed to do an unfill, but no fills.....so finally I was able to schedule my surgery--but my aftercare has never been an issue.

I have only had 2 fills---but have seen my aftercare Dr. many times more than that! My first fill was at about 7 weeks and I received 1.25cc's in my 4cc. band. I had very mild reaction to it, I found I had to slow down and take the smaller bites. I had practiced it, but slipped into old habits! With the fill, I had to slow down. I was still eating too much---so returned in a month for another fill. At that time he only gave me .50cc. I was sooooo disappointed!!! I got mild restriction with 1.25, and now I got less than half of that! He always puts me on liquids for the entire day of the fill, and often the next day, since we travel so far. So day 3 when I could eat....Holy smoke! I could only eat 3 bites!! I had massive restriction with that little fill! It has slowly through the last year and a half )longer actually) loosened of course, as I dropped in weight. Now I can eat a small meal. But I am comfortable where I am in restriction. I opt not to be super tight. That is a personal choice---some like to be very tight, where their portions are super small....with this fill level, my hunger is eased, I seldom if ever experience real hunger, but my ability to eat a healthy balanced diet is not as severely restricted. So far it is working for me, so I am going with the old adage....if it ain't broke---------don't fix it!!!

Kat