Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had first PB this weekend...in public too!

DH and I took off Friday to take DD, 21 months, to the zoo. It was a BEAUTIFUL day and we had a great time. Except for... my first PB! By the time we got to the zoo all of us were starving. We went to a BBQ place and I ordered sliced turkey. No bread, nothing special. Just turkey. After about the 2nd bite I felt it, that lump-in-your-throat, OMG-what-have-I-done feeling. I stopped eating and just sat there waiting for it to go away. I could tell what was about to happen and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. I had a huge stack of napkins and yakked right into them.

It was gross and embarrassing but it wasn't painful. I couldn't figure out WHY I would PB on turkey. I must have just taken a too big bite or didn't chew well enough because I was so hungry. Once I had PB'd I was able to still eat a little being very careful. All I can say is YUCK!

:(

Yeah. That's never fun, is it? I think most of us have probably had this happen in public at some point. Once, I had to open my car door at a stop sign! Yeah...not fun...I live in a really small town....the other people probably spread the rumor I was drunk or something! LOL. It happens...sorry it happened to you!

Was it deli turkey? I had such a horrible PB incident on deli turkey, I haven't touched it again yet. I figured it was too 'light' to slide down, so it stuck to the pouch or something. Just speculations. Normal turkey is fine for me though.

Logan's Steakhouse, no matter what I get there (if it's solid), I always have a public PB. I've learned to just get Soup from them, or get something to go.

OMG, I have had so many PBs in public. My worse one was at a restaurant. I couldn't make it to the bathroom in time and I PBd back into my Soup right in the middle of the restraunt! Thanksfully no one was that close by to see me. I also had one at my son's baseball game yesterday. PBd all the way to the bathroom from eating a sandwich too fast. One guy did see me puking. lol

I can so relate to the horrible public PBing. Oh my goodness, my worst ones have been in public. I would say the worst one of all time, happened at my daughters dance studio. i small bit of my daughters hamburger (just meat), chewed carefully, and swallowed. She was eating her hamburger in the car prior to her dance class. Well, I can assure you I never want to smell hamburger again, nor can I bring myself to eat it. It was a 45 mins ordeal for me. She went to dance class while I sat very close to the bathroom and PBed twice in the toliet... and slimed for the longest time. I was so embarrassed and exhausted from the whole thing. I had to tell the moms there that I had a touch of food poising... Public episodes are the worst! I now either drink my shakes in the public or eat prior/after any public event.

Turykey is kind of a known trouble food for many people. Pay attention on Thanksgiving and shortly after -- you'll see PB posts by the dozens. :rolleyes:

My public yaks have included - the shoulder if the interstate during airport rush hour, my parents' front yard, the bushes in front of a Greek restaurant... *sigh* Welcome to bandster life. :tt2:

I had my new boss in the car the other day and we went through a drive thru for Breakfast and I was starving. I took one bite of my egg sandwich and knew what was going to happen! I sat there like a deer in headlights for a few minutes, then without saying a word grabbed all the napkins I could find and YAAK, there it was: my bite of food covered in slime! I leaned over to my new boss and said, "Wow, you must really be impressed with me now!!!

We were hysterical...BTW...I told her I had recently been banded!

Marie

Oh Marie...

I feel for you on that one. Egg is awful for me.

Most people close to me now that I and my husband are banded. I don't want them to panic with a Yaak attack. I have found it has helped out at our friends get togethers- they don't get their feelings hurt when we don't eat specific foods.

I can share my hubby's worst pbing experience. His family doesn't know about our bands. He had to go out to dinner at a steakhouse w/family visitors. He has a hard time with meat (all meats) and has to be very very careful. So he was eating, talking, and laughing. Long story short- I saw that look in his eyes. He sat for a long time... and then quickly got up and went right to the restroom. 15 mins later he is back... as I calmly and quietly explain he has had the flu and didn't want to upset anyone by not attending the dinner. (boy do you become a good story teller in the bandster lifestyle). He was so exhausted and embarrassed.

No more steakhouse dinners with family was the outcome.

I have 2 'most emberassing'.. one at TGIF's. It's one of the very very rare times I actually got nauseated from it. I ate some of the sicilian quesadilla.. something got stuck, I went to the bathroom, pb'd.. came back.. still hurt, so I ordered a coffee hoping the warm liquid would open me up.. just made it worse.. went back to the bathroom, pb'd... back to table, sat there bouncing (I bounce a lot when I eat now, it drives my mom nuts if I go out with her).. and out of nowhere, I get nauseated. I started drooling, that drool of nausea! Now everyone working at TGIF thinks I'm a nutcase because I kept running past their station to the bathroom. Then I threw up, not just PB'd, and it was a huge air bubble. It was the size of the ENTIRE toilet once it got out of my body. It was very crazy, I wished I had a camera. All that slime and air I guess, and it grew when it was coming out.

2nd one, I was eating a chocolate turtle at work, and I had my hands full, and was being rushed, so I just put half of it in my mouth and swallowed way too quick. I knew it was bad, immediately. And pecans do NOT melt. I PB'd at the gas station on the way to a hockey game, PB'd several times in the bushes outside of the arena (for all to see.. it was lovely). The lines for bathroom were WAY too long. That was my longest 'episode' ever, the pecans were brutal.

At Uno's once I'm pretty sure the waitstaff thought I was bulemic. Obviously they don't know much about bulemia. But I ate a few bites, then hhurredly asked our waitress where the restroom was. Someone came in right as I yakked. You'd think they leave, but they didn't. When I came out of the stall, it was our waitress and she was just kind of propped on the wall like she was hanging out. After I got back to the table I overheard her talking to some of the other waitstaff and I couldn't hear a lot, but I did hear "purge". Ah, the little girl knew nothing.

Yeah I thought the waitstaff at TGIF thought I was bulemic, but decided surely they could tell from my weight that I wasn't. This was early in banding, now if I have to PB in a public restroom I just say 'tough shit' to whoever else is in there. They can assume what they want, I'm not holding it in. Although, I have found if you grab the papertowels in some bathrooms (the bigger ones for drying hands), and PB into that before you put it in the toilet, it doesn't make that poop plopping in the toilet noise.

I used to try and hold it if someone was in, or would hold it long enough to hit another bathroom (at work we have a few stories so there's always another bathroom to check). I used to PB a lot more than I do now so it's not so much of an issue. My last few have been at home. I just yak regardless of who's there now, and if it's a situation where I'm being conscious of the noises it will make, I will try to flush right as I feel it happening. *shrug* We're desensitized I guess. Most people just think I'm puking and run out anyway.

Oh Marie...

I feel for you on that one. Egg is awful for me.

Most people close to me now that I and my husband are banded. I don't want them to panic with a Yaak attack. I have found it has helped out at our friends get togethers- they don't get their feelings hurt when we don't eat specific foods.

I can share my hubby's worst pbing experience. His family doesn't know about our bands. He had to go out to dinner at a steakhouse w/family visitors. He has a hard time with meat (all meats) and has to be very very careful. So he was eating, talking, and laughing. Long story short- I saw that look in his eyes. He sat for a long time... and then quickly got up and went right to the restroom. 15 mins later he is back... as I calmly and quietly explain he has had the flu and didn't want to upset anyone by not attending the dinner. (boy do you become a good story teller in the bandster lifestyle). He was so exhausted and embarrassed.

No more steakhouse dinners with family was the outcome.

Yaak Attack. I love it! Not the actual attack, but the term... :thumbup:

Almost every time I have PB'd it has been on turkey or chicken. The other thing that gives me trouble is cakey things (which I know I'm not supposed to be eating anyway, but you know....) I have no issues with salad or anything crunchy. Everyone is so different!

isn't excessive pbing bad? I'm a prebander, and I guess it's one of those thngs I'll have to "experience" to understand. I don't kow what I'll do w/out chicken! So a lot of people have a lot of problems with meat huh? That sucks, I guess thats why so many people drink a lot of Protein Drinks?

SO When do you contact your doc about too much pbing? If you are doing it more that once a day?