Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want to CHEAT and Think I Will

I just finished day 9 of the all liquid diet pre op - I have 5 more days to go and CAN"T take it anymore - I've lost 13 lbs - I need a break - I already decided - Tomorrow night, I'm going to buy myself a big fat juicy steak and smother it in sauteed onions! It my last chance to eat real food! Tell me its ok!!!! Tom in Seattle:cursing:

I'll give you two versions of an answer, the first one is one you probably want to hear: Sure, let's all coddle you and say go ahead and have that steak because you've gone a WHOLE 9 days on a liquid diet and I'm sure you'll do what you want any way regardless of what anyone else here says.

The second version is the bitch version: You're not going to waste away, it's only 5 more days out of your life, suck it up and stick to the liquid diet. This way of thinking is what got you (and probably all the rest of us) in this situation to begin with.

Take it for what you will and good luck to you.

STEP AWAY FROM THE STEAK, I REPEAT...STEP AWAY FROM THE STEAK!! You can do this TKT, don't sabotage all your great effort this early in the game!!

My question to you is this... Are you going to let that steak be more important than the goal you are trying to achieve? When you look back on this time...the preop diet, are you going to be proud that you stuck with it or are you going to be regretting that a "steak" was more important to you?

All I know is that I'd give you steaks for life if it meant I could be in your shoes right now! I'm hoping for surgery in May but who knows when it'll be since I'm waiting on doctors, insurance, etc. Ultimately it is up to you and what you feel is more important. I can't imagine it is easy to be on all-liquids for that long but I sure as hell can't wait till it's my turn to try! :drool:

Congratulations for making it this far and good luck to you!

I just finished day 9 of the all liquid diet pre op - I have 5 more days to go and CAN"T take it anymore - I've lost 13 lbs - I need a break - I already decided - Tomorrow night, I'm going to buy myself a big fat juicy steak and smother it in sauteed onions! It my last chance to eat real food! Tell me its ok!!!! Tom in Seattle:cursing:

Yeah. No it's not. You will be able to eat real food again once your pre op and post op phase is over. And it the scheme of things, it is a very short time to go without steak.

And there is a damm good reason for the pre op diet. It's not to starve, torture or deprive you. Its to shrink your liver so when the surgeon gets in there to place your band it is an easier surgery on the both of you.

i cant eat steak with my band. so if i had to do it over again. id eat the steak......... but i love steak and i even had a dream about eating steak. thats sad huh!! good luck with your band........

If you must cheat, no steak! Have a small piece of grilled chicken and a salad. The pre-op diet helps to shrink the liver, high fat foods are one of the causes they get fatty.

I can still eat steak with my band. This is a craving and you will have more of those along the way, even with your band you have to use some self control. Good time to practice that, is now.

OK I now I will catch h&*& for this but I never was even on a preop diet. My doctor never told me to be on one so I just ate like normal and guess what, I had my surgery without complication. Now I suppose if your doctor put you on a preop diet it is best to follow your doctors advice but I am just giving you my 2 cents..............

OK I now I will catch h&*& for this but I never was even on a preop diet. My doctor never told me to be on one so I just ate like normal and guess what, I had my surgery without complication. Now I suppose if your doctor put you on a preop diet it is best to follow your doctors advice but I am just giving you my 2 cents..............

Jaymie, you had a low starting BMI, which can make a difference for pre-op diets.

Dont do it, its not worth it! I still have 18 days till I have to start my pre op 10 day diet & after the last 3 days of the worst stomach flu ever, I am right this moment drinking a carnation instant Breakfast because the 4lbs lost from the flu got me motivated. I am challenging myself to see if I can be the "biggest pre op loser" for my Dr & I want an easy recovery after surgery. Challenge yourself, dont let that steak KICK YOUR ASS! Whos stronger here?? The steak or you? Is that steak worth your Dr opening you up & seeing your liver & closing you right back up w/out your band? Thats what my Dr would do & then its 6 months of waiting for another chance to have it done again. Its all in your head & you will not be defeated by a stupid steak! (trust me, steak is my weakness too, totally my fav & I pray after I can eat again that I will be able to have one occasionally) Be strong and conquer the craving, we all know you can do it & we are all here to do it with you!:grouphug:

Yeah. No it's not. You will be able to eat real food again once your pre op and post op phase is over. And it the scheme of things, it is a very short time to go without steak.

And there is a damm good reason for the pre op diet. It's not to starve, torture or deprive you. Its to shrink your liver so when the surgeon gets in there to place your band it is an easier surgery on the both of you.

SOOO glad you are back!

tom - not worth it.

A friend of mine and I were talking about the unusal obsession with food we have. she put it in a way I had never thought of. She said that eventhough, as she goes through her day she makes important decisions by thinking rationally, looking at pros and cons, etc. when there is some kind of food sitting in front of her, it's like there is NOTHING more important at that moment than eating and enjoying it. Her head can be screaming, "YOU ARE GOING TO REGRET THIS!" but it's like something takes over and she doesn't care. Then when it's gone the self lothing kicks back in. I can totally relate to this. I am am still waiting ins. approval, so I am no where near the liquid diet stage but I'm scared that I won't be able to handle it. I am anxious to see how you hold up. I need to know it can be done!

Sure, go ahead and have that steak. While your at it call your doctor tell him you don't want the surgery anymore. Cause essentially that is what you will be saying if you give in and eat that steak. You are on the pre-op diet for a REASON. That reason is to shrink your liver, lower your BMI a bit, and make sure you WAKE UP FROM SURGERY. He did not put you on it to sit back and watch you suffer, he put you on it so you are not a MM review, or a canceled surgery.

But this is your choice. GO ahead and eat that one steak, and who knows maybe tomorrow it will be that bowl of spaghetti and garlic bread.

It IS your choice.

I was going to say sorry if this is harsh, but I am not really. Would you rather stick it out, have a smooth operation fast recovery or no operation no recovery and live your life as you are right now?????

Oh don't do it Tom. Doctors have you on a pre-diet to shrink your liver so that they can get to your stomach without having to lift a big huge fatty liver out of the way. If you are having laparoscopic surgery you sure don't want them to have to open you up to do surgery instead because you ate a fatty steak!

Tank you all - I won't have the steak - I woke up this am feeling better and 3 lbs lighter - i think I needed to have everyone bitch at me! THANK YOU ALL!

Tom in Seattle