Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting my things together to go get banded.:sad: :smile2: What should I have with me? I am getting operated on a Tuesday and am not flying home til Friday. I am looking for the voices of experience here. Thank You!!

I am getting my things together to go get banded.:sad: :smile2: What should I have with me? I am getting operated on a Tuesday and am not flying home til Friday. I am looking for the voices of experience here. Thank You!!

I needed Maalox(and used a full small bottle the first week), all my normal medications along with a pill splitter, was given a perscription for pain medication after surgery which I used, but also took tylinol (only pain releiver the doctor allowed), was suggested I have Phillips Milk of Magnesesia for Constipation (but that was never an issue). Plenty of juices to drink, comfortable clothes and books to read.

Where are you having yours done that you need to fly?

well a big squishy sweatshirt and jammie bottoms was a must for me. also make sure you take shoes/slippers that you can slip on. bending is a bit of a chore. don't bother with a bra, and plan on sleeping on your back. ALWAYS have a pain med with you and keep the Water intake going. you will be fine, it only gets better. g2s

Totally agree with the big squishy sweatshirt and PJ bottoms. Also, pack lip balm - your mouth will feel like you ate a bag of cotton balls for a few days, and so a nice smelling really gooey lip balm is a must. If your hair is long - pack a clip to keep it out of your way. Bring magazines (my surgery center had a nice selection of Golf magazines....wonder what the doctor was into?) Toothbrush - yes / makeup - no. I also brought my own pillow and was not sorry I did!

I agree with a lot of the suggestions you were given. I also flew home--so am going to approach my answer from that angle.

Comfortable elastic waisted pants, with a loose tshirt type of top. Find an older non underwire bra for the trip home---I am large breasted, and going without was not an option. I would have turned and taken out a flight attendant or something!! So it may not be the prettiest in the drawer, and that is good, depending on where your incisions are--they might even ooze some on the bra--so make it an old, loose, comfy one. Same with panties---dig deep and find the loose, comfy granny panties!!!

I also wore slip on tenny shoes type of thing---as has been said bending over to tie them is not always easy, and they have to come off to get through security. Being able to drop them, and step into them is ideal, but you also want them to be something you don't worry about slipping in.

PACK LIGHT!!! You have to deal with your luggage after surgery on the way home as well. So take nothing you don't need....and keep lightweight in mind when you pack what you DO need. It isn't like the same people will see you, so plan to fly in the same outfit, or something to lessen the amount of things you need.

This is not what to take---just advice given to me that eased my mine and made my trip so much easier!!!

When you get on the plane, as you are boarding---if you need an extender for the seatbelt--ask for it then. Do not wait til you and everyone else has been seated. If you ask for it as you board, it is usually right within reach for her, and they hand it to you and off you go. Those in line behind you have no view of what is going on, and those getting seated are fiddling around stowing things, not paying mind to you. If you wait, she comes back down the aisle looking for you, all eyes on her as you all wait to take off---then all eyes go to you as she hands it over! If you do not need one on the flight over, see how the belt fits and decide if you will need one on the return due to soreness and swelling. Also as you board----grab one of the little pillows----depending on where your incisions are, the seatbelt sometimes rubs. My plane belt didn't hit mine, but the car seat belt did! And I had a long drive home -3.5 hours- from the airport.

I took some liquid Tylenol--but not sure of the liquid limitations now----and I don't think Tylenol is making the Go Tabs anymore---so you might need to just take a partial bottle with you. I did not need my Rx pain meds, but I did take a shot of Tylenol, during a layover on my flight home.

Sip on Water in the airport, they will make you ditch it usually---so when they come around, you can get another small bottle---and when you land, buy another--just keep well hydrated.

While on the plane, wiggle a lot--it may annoy your seat mates---but better to annoy them than end up with blood clots! Lift your feet and make circles with your ankles, just lift them up and down--like tippy toes, then down....don't cross your ankles.

Also remember to breath deep several times during the flight. Deep, deep breaths, several in a row----will keep your lungs clear as well.

How exciting---your day is almost here!!!!

Good Luck!

Kat

Thank you all. I like to plan ahead and I think by asking others experiances helps me to do that.

Kat, thank you for you being so kind and compationate for a "stranger". You really take the time for others alot and I've noticed. I'm so glad that you and the dedicated others on this talk forum are here.

mnn251, I am going to monterrey Mexico.

Hey Bunkey,

I hope you are as excited as I am. It seems like I've been waiting forever!

I also enjoyed reading the responses as I didn't even think about what to take, however, I do have DH and my daughter to fetch for me.

I have been spending the past few weeks going around and saying goodbye to my favorite restaurants. The doctor said he didn't care as long as I don't gain any weight. I'm having my last steak tonight and then going Clear Liquids until perpetuity, I guess!

My insurance is covering my surgery (80%) so I feel blessed to be able to have it so close to home (20 miles) at the Good Samaritan Hospital Obesity Institute here in Portland, Oregon. My thoughts and prayers to those of you who have to travel so far.

I have a feeling my "lack of diet" for the past few weeks is going to roar back up and bite me in the butt, but I am so ready to give up eating as I know it. I also joined a research program through the Oregon Health Sciences University on obesity and genetics, etc. They took 12 tubes of blood at my first visit, fitted me with an activity monitor ankle Bracelet and gave me a questionaire that took me 4 hours to complete. Then, I have to go back one year after surgery and do it all over again. There are very few people in my family, including the youngest, who are not suffering from obesity. If I can do anything to help, I will.

Thanks for listening to my nervous chatter. I find that as the hour gets closer I seem to be not as calm as I thought I would be.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Penny

Hi Penny!

My name is Desiree. I live in San Diego. My DH is retired navy. My insurance wouldnt pay. I also didnt like to wait for year waiting list then have someone with 1/4 the experience of Dr. Rambout in Monterrey Mexico. I have 2 friends who are doing great both treated with the skill of Dr. Rambout. I also did some research of my own. Everything included for 9.5k. So when did you decied this was for you?

Hi Desiree,

After a FAITHFUL four years at weight watchers, during which time I lost 49.5 lb. gained back 20, lost that 20, then last summer my husband had cancer surgery (he's fine, now) and my daughter was planning her wedding for last 9/22 ( and as of last week, left him and plans to divorce!) with all the roller coaster life, I have put back on 30 lb. this time. SO, the final accounting is after four years of weight watchers, I have lost 17 pounds. I wonder what that comes out to $$ per lb.LOL!

I've been on the diet roller coaster for 43 years, it's time to get off!

The hospital just called - I have to check in at 5:45 AM. YIPPEE!

Good luck, Kiddo!

Talk to you when I've had a few days to recover!

Penny

Sweats and pj's and underwear and socks. You won't need anything else except an outfit to fly home in. Take it easy!!!

I just got home hours ago. I slept a lot, wore the hospital gowns, needed my slippers and chapstick. Never used my own pj's, robe or 2 extra outfits I brought. Nor did I read the book I brought, I watched TV, thumbeda magazine, slept or walked around visiting the other lapband patients I bonded (and banded) with. Good luck. Oh,one more thing, I was given Gax X, the kind that dissolves on your tongue. I don't know why cuz i'm not sure it helped.