Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prescription Problems -

Yesterday I went to my reg. Dr. for my annual. She was pleased with my weight loss and we discussed my lap band surgery, what I eat, how I eat it, how I take my regular meds, etc. She gave me a full exam and saw the scars . . . then she ordered me a prescription for my persistant ear infection. I got it filled in the afternoon and it was Augmentin, VERY Large, Chalky White pills with warnings not to "Crush or chew before swallowing" (and cost $68.00). I was supposed to take 2 of these things on a "Full" stomach. Well, since I am eating a very small amount now, I never have a really "full" stomach, and I NEVER swallow anything that big, and I always chew my food to pieces before it goes down, and still I get PB's . . . . so I am really careful. After talking to the pharmacy and my surgeon's office staff, I decided to halve the pills and be sure some food was eaten before. Down it went -- hurt very bad, came up again after a lot of PB & pain. And I was supposed to take 4 of those halves at each dose, twice a day. The next morning I tried again, this time sipping hot tea to loosen up. Pills down with some Breakfast. Back up again and then I was really sick and in pain for quite a time. Results for the day: Lost a day of work, had to ask the prescribing Dr. for a liquid antibotic, then had to wait most of the day to get it filled because it was not in stock, spent more than half the day really miserable, had to spend another almost $50 for the new medication, can't take the other back since it was opened.

I was just surprised that after all that discussion about my lap-band, still, a very good Dr. would carelessly prescribe me something impossible for me to take. Lesson learned: Be sure before you leave the Dr.'s office about any prescriptions given you: are they in a form that you can take considering your surgery? Most regular Dr.s are not that informed about what you can and cannot do. You have to tell them! (I thought I had!)

Thank you for sharing that very valuable story! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. That's a pretty hefty antibiotic indeed. I hope whatever you're taking now clear up your infection, and fast!

Here is where being your OWN patient advocate comes in handy. The doctor may not know what the pills look like. Most don't.

Always ask the pharmacist how big the pills are. And ask if there is an alternative form, like liquid. I am sorry for your troubles. It almost sounds like you are still too tight.

I was told that we can swallow any pill as long as it was not bigger than the top of an eraser on a pencil. I have tested this theory and it works for me.

Two points...

I am taking regular old 500 mg. Augmentin right now, and I'm cutting them in half. Mine came with no such warning, and I looked up the PI Sheet (patient information) and did a search for the words "crush" and "chew," and they were not in the document. Any chance that label was applied in error?

Also, there is a chewable Augmentin.

I think my kids have had augmentim in liquid form for ear infections. I'm no pharmacist but why can't they just adjust the liquid for an adult dose.

Debby

Bandster in training

I had to take those when I had my sinus infection back in Jan so what I did if I did not cut them in half was to put one in some Water and let it dissolve then drink it..

But I would think like the childs dosage that we should be able to get it in liquid form... Humm

If they are Extended Release, they cannot be cut or crushed or chewed, because that screws up the graduated release.

There is a problem with '"doubling" 250 mg Augmentin Rx's. Augmentin contains Amoxicillan and Clavulanate Potassium. IF I REMEMBER THIS CORRECTLY...the a 500 mg augmentin contains 500 mg of Amoxicillan and 125 mg of Clavulanate Potassium. The 250 mg Augmentin contains half as much Amoxicillan but the same amount of Clavulanate Potassium. So when you take two of the 250's, you get twice as much of the Clavulanate Potassium, which is there to keep the Amoxicillan working...but that may be too much...and I think that part makes us really, really tired.

Anyway, I couldn't find anything that said that a regular Augmentin shouldn't be cut in half. If anyone does, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I'm taking them right now to get rid of the not-quite-gone infection from my breast reduction.

Gosh, Thanks for all the information and replys. These were the BIG pills, Augmentin XR 1000 62.5 TAB GSK and they were time-release - 10 day XR pack. 1/2 pill was larger than a pencil eraser. But I did end up obtaining a replacment with a liquid antibotic: "Ceftin for Oral Suspension" 2 teaspoons twice a day with food. Still does not rest easy in the tummy, but I can handle it. My point of the whole communication was to remind people to make the Dr.s & Pharmacists give you something you can take.

Hope your little boy does better --- I had earaches as a kid and now I am 64 and still have them!

On the too tight issue. I might be. I am having a lot of trouble finding foods I can eat, eating at other's houses and not wasting a LOT of food. I have a fill up to 2.2 ccs as of mid Feb. But - this is the first time I have had a weight loss that was anything near 1 pound a week. I have been just piddling around - I went to a support meeting in January and I was certainly the slowest one there with 6 months, not quite 18 pounds lost. So now, I finally feel that I may lose 4-5 pounds this month so it looks like tough restriction is the only way for me to lose. I have been a hard, hard loser at any diet, all the time, for all my life. It feels like I have been on a diet since I was 12 and I really guess that is right. I would like to finally solve this situation and get to my best weight, not for vanity (past that) but for health. Thanks again to all who commented.

Sunny, since this was a dr. error, I would talk w/ a Pharmacy Manager about getting your $$ refunded. My DH had a similar problem and we got our $$ back. The Pharmacy Mgr. was very nice about it.

Nana, My nicky had tubes, he woke up from the anethesia and we weren't in the recoevery room - they wouldn't let us. Next time he was under Anes DH and I insisted and it was a smoother process. How old is your son?? Mine was 2 at the time totally did not understand what was happening

I guess I'm fortunate, I haven't had any problems taking any pills so far, although I only take a baby asprin and a synthroid and they're itty bitty.