Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breast Cancer and Lap-band

Hi. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I am scheduled to have a biopsy next week on my left breast due to some microcalcifications. I am not too worried, I was told that most biopsys come back negative, but it could lead to "pre-cancer." From what I've read microcalcifications are more dangerous than macro. Anyway enough of my babbling.

I'm not too worried, but every once in a while I wonder what would happen if it is cancer. I also laugh at how ironic this is... other than being overweight my entire adult life, I have been relatively healthy. Now that I am on the road to a healthier me, I have to worry if I have cancer or not.:angry:

I know I am thinking too much, but if it is cancer... will I have to have an unfill? How would my treatments affect my band? Has anyone else had to deal with this? Any advice other than to just relax and not focus on the negatives.

Thanks for just letting me vent somewhere. Other than my husband, I have not told a single person.

Sorry, I can't give you any good advice but I wanted you to know I will be keeping you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated and thankyou for sharing such a personal issue with us.

I saw on a TV show about the band that it can be a good choice for someone who is at risk for cancer because you "can" un-fill it if you need more nutrition. So, it did not sound like it has to be unfilled, but can be if you need more nutrition than your band currently allows.

Denise

wnt2lose: I'm sorry you are facing this. Let's hope everything is okay and you won't even have to worry about this part! I can't tell you to relax and not worry about it, because you will anyway. I would suggest you limit your research on the internet as it can be worse than your imagination and not necessarily accurate. Write down your questions, keep them with you (in case you think of them in the bathroom!), talk to your doctor about your concerns and be sure to ask all the questions on your list (there is no such thing as a dumb question). If in doubt of anything, get a second opinion!

Yes, the band is unfilled if you would need higher nutrition, or higher calories due to the side effects of some chemotherapy. Losing too much weight, especially when ill with something like cancer can impede your recovery. (weird...before surgery you'd never think someone would not want you lose weight, much less want you to gain it)

God Bless you...let me know how you're doing.

~Carol

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. My sister had breast cancer two years ago and based on her experience, I would say the band probably won't affect anything. Not everyone loses weight on chemo, my sister actually gained 20 pounds. She was normal size, so this was a lot of weight for her. Most often, eating actually helped with the nausea so she ate more often than normal for her.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

I know exactly how you feel about your health. I have two things that I am most afraid of for my own health. One is breast cancer as it runs rampant in my family and the other is a heart attack, same thing, everywhere in the family. So last Jan I had a preventive mastectomy, where they found pre-cancer, and this Jan I got my band. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

I feel good about the choices I've made and hope to enjoy improved health in 2008.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

One plus for the band is that being overweight can add to your risk for breast cancer. My sister is a gym nut now (exercise is supposed to lower her chances of recurrance), back to her normal size, and cancer free.<o:p></o:p>

Best of luck to you.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks everyone for your support. Sometimes I feel I am putting the cart in front of the horse, but sometimes I start thinking, and I can't stop. I do have a close friend who is going through chemo at this moment for breast cancer, so I finally confided in her and I feel much better. I'll keep you all updated as soon as I hear anything new.

I haven't had a Cancer scare yet but I have had other "scary" issues come up that I had to wait before knowing what was actually going on. My friends would tell me to try not to think or worry about it until I knew the facts but for me at least it sometimes seemed easier to try to think about and start planning for the worst case scenarios while it was still just a "possiblility" and not an actuality. Once something becomes definite and not just some hypothetical possibility it can be even more emotionally difficult for me to think clearly while trying to make important decisions.

So yes, try to breathe, try not to stay awake each night worrying, and try to stay as calm as possible. But if it helps to put yourself into hopefully uneccessary pre-emptive action then by all means do it. I like the other posters suggestion of carrying around a notebook to write down any questions or thoughts you might have. Sometimes it is easier for me to put the idea to the back of my head if I know I've written it down somewhere and no longer have to focus on remembering it.

Cancer is actually a MAJOR factor as to why I chose the band over the bypass. Both of my parents died at an early age from cancer. All 4 of my grandparents died from cancer. And since everyone is going to die of SOMETHING, my bets for myself will probably the big C.

Really, I know I sound like a gloomy gus, but I'm not at all. Just a realist. So if I need to expand my band someday, I can. Not like with the bypass.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out fine for you!!

I'm sorry to hear you are having to go through this. I can't answer your questions about the band specifically because I had my left mastectomy 3 months prior to being banded. (mast 5/21/07 - lapband 8/13/07) One thing I would like to ask you though is if you are having a BREAST SURGEON do the biopsy. I really hope so!!! I made the mistake of allowing a general surgeon do mine, and although it went smoothly, it would have been better if I had gone to my BREAST Surgeon first. She told me there was actually no reason to do a biopsy because CLEARLY the films showed that it was a malignant carcinoma. She just has so much more experience with it and could see it where the gen. surgeon couldn't. In the end it didn't matter because I chose to have the whole breast removed to forego radiation because I have stents in my coronary arteries and it's so hard on them. Not trying to scare you or anything...but I just promised myself after my surgery that I would always tell women to definitely see a BREAST surgeon from the very start.

Sorry if this was a little off topic. :blink:

Hi. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I am scheduled to have a biopsy next week on my left breast due to some microcalcifications. I am not too worried, I was told that most biopsys come back negative, but it could lead to "pre-cancer." From what I've read microcalcifications are more dangerous than macro. Anyway enough of my babbling.

I'm not too worried, but every once in a while I wonder what would happen if it is cancer. I also laugh at how ironic this is... other than being overweight my entire adult life, I have been relatively healthy. Now that I am on the road to a healthier me, I have to worry if I have cancer or not.:blink:

I know I am thinking too much, but if it is cancer... will I have to have an unfill? How would my treatments affect my band? Has anyone else had to deal with this? Any advice other than to just relax and not focus on the negatives.

Thanks for just letting me vent somewhere. Other than my husband, I have not told a single person.

Wnt2lose

It was a requirement for me to get a mamo before the doc would band me - I was banded on 7/17 and on 8/3 had to go in for the exact same thing :eek: I had the same thoughts too - omg here i might have cancer and I just when thru all the trouble of getting banded - BUT IT CAME BACK CLEAR - my sister had the same thing in the same breast (right) and it came back clear too - I go back to have my right brest ck'd on 3/11

Yep just don't try and dwell on it - the way I thought about it was - "if it is cancer they found it very early (pepper flakes as the way it was discribed to me) and I would just deal with whatever the out come was. Worrying isn't going to change a thing - I told my Sister - but not my kids until after it came back clear.

Will keep you in my prayers... You will be fine - I understand your fears,..

Blessings,....

wnt2lose: did you have your biopsy? how are you doing? I just came across this thread because I was searching the forum for information/experiences with breast cancer and LapBand...I was told yesterday my biopsy showed ductal carcinoma and I will have surgery on Monday. Then radiation, and medication for 5 years. Not sure how my weight loss will be affected and how all fits together.

I just wanted to know how you were doing since you posted in March and it is now June.

wnt2lose: did you have your biopsy? how are you doing? I just came across this thread because I was searching the forum for information/experiences with breast cancer and LapBand...I was told yesterday my biopsy showed ductal carcinoma and I will have surgery on Monday. Then radiation, and medication for 5 years. Not sure how my weight loss will be affected and how all fits together.

I just wanted to know how you were doing since you posted in March and it is now June.

dragonfly, I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. Good luck to you on Monday.

dragonfly I am so sorry to hear your news. I had the biopsy. It was quite the experience. Yes, I had it done in the breast care center. It came back fine. I do have lots of microcalcifications so I have to go back and have another mamo in 6 months, but she told me not to worry.

Thanks everyone for all your support and encouragement. I forgot I had posted this until I saw it today.

Wnt2lose:

That's GREAT news for you. My radiologist told me that 85% (or more) of the calcifications he biopsies are benign -- nothing at all. I just happen to be in the 15% or less where it was malignant.

I am finding great support and good thoughts everywhere and am really glad I found this web site! (but Monday sure feels a long way off at this point).