Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding the "Sweet Spot"

Hi. I have a question about how much of a fill is just right. Got my band last October and have had three fills since. Lost 20 pounds with the pre-surgery diet, and 30 pounds since the procedure. First fill produced no results. 2nd fill was actually a little too tight (could not drink the 2 glasses of water), so my doctor backed it out a bit. This last fill, my third, is probably pretty close to where it needs to be. But, what's the perfect spot? After this third fill, some foods fill me quickly. Others a bit slower. And some do not seem to be blocked at all. I know that the consistency of the food is a major factor, as is amount of chewing and speed of eating. But, with the exception of liquids, shouldn't most foods fill me rather quickly? Have had a little bit of minor reflux, but never had any vomiting problems. My next appointment is in a couple of week. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your sweet spot means you should be able to eat three small meals a day without being hungry in between them. They should consist of real food (mainly dense Proteins and vegetables to keep you full longer) If you are too tight you run the risk of going for soft, easier foods to avoid pain, and that is not giving you optimum benefit of the band. There are definite differences in foods that are tolerated and levels of satiety they give. If you stick to mostly dense proteins and vegetables with some fruit, you are going to stay full longer. If you eat Cookies and candy you are not going to stay full. What foods you can tolerate can also change from day to day, and even from hour to hour. We tend to be tighter in the morning and women, especially, can have fluctuations with their monthly cycles. This all means you have to be really tuned into your body and listen to it. If you can only eat a tiny Breakfast because of being tight in the AM, but you can eat a good sized lunch and dinner you are probably fine. If you are so limited in portion size that you aren't able to get your 60g of Protein, you are probably too tight. Eating should still be pleasurable, not torture. And of course, you should be able to lose a pound or 2 a week. If those things are happening you probably don't need a fill. Hope this helps!

Dense Proteins are things like chicken, turkey (ground or regular), fish, legumes,any meat you can handle. Basically, the idea is for the food we eat to be dense enough that it stays in the pouch for a long time. Things like Soup, yogurt, shakes, mashed potatoes- are going to slide right through the stoma. So dense proteins are good, but the majority of the food you eat should be dense. (vegetables, fruit, things that have to be chewed!)

Much thanks for the excellent reply. I am losing the weight, but not feeling as full as I think I should. I'll try the recommended diet changes and discuss it with my Dr. when I see him next week. I guess we'll decide at that time if I need a small fill this visit.

I too had my band placed in October. I have been fortunate and have had excellent results. I had my 3rd fill on Jan 28th - they gave me 1.75 ccs at that time - I had a miserable 8 weeks. I was too restricted - lots of pain, pbing, etc. and rather than going in and getting it adjusted I kept telling myself it would get better, but it didn't. I went today and had 1 cc removed and feel MUCH better. I return in 6 weeks for another adjustment. I have been using my band wrong - I thought the more restriction the less the chance I would eat too much. This has to be a life change and if I can't use some willpower in this deal, no amount of restriction will ever overcome the eating addiction. I am at 5ccs in a 10 cc band now - we will see how long that works for me. From what I have read on this site, it is VERY different for every person.

So my long winded advice is not to get too anxious and go too far, too much fill to fast. Finding the sweet spot may take many small adjustments.

Thank you for this information. I was banded on Dec. 26th '07. I haven't had a fill yet, but have lost 36lbs. I am having problems adjusting to the new eating habits. It has been difficult to chew and eat slowly. I have major problems with PB's. I know I still have to work on this and am reluctant to get a fill until I have this under control. I am wondering if I should just get a fill and see what happened, or keep going like I have been.

If it were me, since you are PBing, I would not get a fill until you have stabilized and are not PBing. Assuming that you are trying to eat 3 normal (3ounce) meals - don't forget chew, chew, chew.

is it normal to loose Fluid between fills? my doc emptied my fluid yesterday and when i was previously filled i had 1.65cc. when he emptied it there was only 1.4cc. he said that is normal.

does anyone else have that problem?

Thanks for the dense Protein explanations. I just got to read it but it was information I was needing to know right at this time.

is it normal to loose Fluid between fills? my doc emptied my Fluid yesterday and when i was previously filled i had 1.65cc. when he emptied it there was only 1.4cc. he said that is normal.

does anyone else have that problem?

Think its due to some of the fluid being left in the tubing from the port to the band.

I had my surgery Oct 3 2007 and I only lose 20lb, I'm getting very upset, because I feel that I should have lose more weight by now. could someone please give me some advice. Please help because I'm going crazy.

I had my surgery Oct 3 2007 and I only lose 20lb, I'm getting very upset, because I feel that I should have lose more weight by now. could someone please give me some advice. Please help because I'm going crazy.

For anyone to give an opinion on what you are doing wrong you might have to go into detail what you are doing right now.

How much do you eat in a day? What do you eat?

Are you exercising? How much?

Do you fell hungary throughout the day?

NOTE: I SUGGEST POSTING YOUR QUESTION AND YOUR DIET/EXERCISING DETAILS IN A SPERATE THREAD SO PEOPLE WILL SEE IT AND RESPOND.

Yes I workout atleast four time a week at bally, I eat four small meals a day. I also feel hungry late at night. Please help me!